Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get out of class this afternoon. Walk out to my car, its raining, and I forgot my umbrella. Get in the car, back out, drive down the row of parked cars, go to turn at the end of the row, and the wheel doesnt move!!! Crank really hard on it and it grudgingly gives in. Horray, I have no power steering. I try another turn or two to see if its something I could handle long enough to get to the dealer and determine that I should probably just park it and call AAA. Just as I'm pulling into a new parking spot, the power steering comes back to life! Hmm... So I pop the hood and look around, nothing out of place so I assume it was just a belt got wet and decided to slip so probably no big deal. Anyways, I'd already planned on calling the local caddy dealers up to see if anyone had an 06 CTS 18" sport appearance package on the lot and figured if either of them say yes, I'll drop by and while I'm looking at that, I'll have the service folks take a look at my car just to make sure everythings cool. Call up my regular dealer and the guy says, "yeah we've got one, come on by." Well I get there and theres a line out the door of the service bay. Some dumb old broad had her car parked right in the doorway, and was yelling at the service techs about god-knows-what and refusing to move her car. Eventually I get in and recount my experience to my regular service manager, and he tells me that it must have been a wet belt slipping, no need to worry, and he never even looked at it before sending me on my way. (no wonder this lady was mad at him!!!)

New paragraph for a new experience. So...where was I...ok, so I back out of the service bay, park my car, and stroll into the showroom looking for the guy I'd just talked to over the phone. He spots me and says step this way and I'll show you the DTS. I say "whoa, DTS? I wanted to see a CTS." Hes like "oh, that makes more sense. I was wondering why you wanted to see a DTS grill with 18" wheels since its the same as the regular one". I just kind of shook my head and explained my situation. (Looking for the CTS 18" appearance package as a possibility to mod my own car, and I've given up on asking about the strut brace, even after showing them a picture these guys had no idea what I was talking about last time I asked). Anyways, he goes on to tell me they had one in but they delivered it to a customer a couple of days earlier (damn, thats the second time I've been to the lot less than 48 hrs behind this car). He then goes on to tell me that the grill on the 18" appearance package is exactly like the v-grill and since they have the "vogue" shop, they can get one for me. I carefully explain using very small words that no, the grills are not exactly the same, but they are similar in that they both have mesh... He's responds, "oh yeah, thats what I meant." But yeah, so at this point were over at the Vogue shop and he's busted out the catalogues and is showing me different grills. Theyve got the E&G "v-grill" knock-off as I call em, with the cheezy black plastic behind the cadillac crest. I acknowlege that the v-grill is one option I've been looking at, but I'd want a real v-grill because I didnt like the cheap black plastic piece on the E&G. He tells me "oh yeah, our parts guy can get you one of those" to which I respond, "yeah, for over $300, but theres a genuine GM v-grill on e-bay for $150 as we speak." He didnt respond. Then as he turns the page I see that the idea I thought was unique, blacking out the mesh part of a v-grill, is actually offered that way through E&G. I said, "hey, thats something I've thought of doing, how much is that grill?" His response, "twelve hundred bucks." I though he was joking and asked again and got the same answer. He then told me that this was a better deal than going through e-bay because an E&G grill comes with a waranty while the e-bay grills do not...yeah, pay 10 times the amount, get a waranty, great deal right there buddy. I decided at that point I had been completely dissapointed by my visit and it was time to leave because it was obvious these guys werent going to get any better. The salesman seemed to be under the impression that I might still buy something from him so he gave me his card. I then asked him to give me a call if they got in the 18" sport appearance package for the CTS and went on my way. Before heading home I tried calling the other local caddy dealer where the slimy-sounding salesman didnt listen to anything I said the first time and told me to "come on by because he was sure he had something I'd be interested in because he had 20 or 30 CTS's on the lot. I explained why I was interested in the sport appearance package specifically and his response was, "oh, you should just call the parts dept then" and he hung up on me.

I cant figure out why after my very first experience with the caddy dealer was so positive (rear bezzel replaced under waranty, free rental for two days no questions asked), these guys have turned out to be such idiots every single time I've been back since. Well, sorry about the rant :rant2: , and if anyone knows of a dealer within I'd say about 45 minutes of Indianapolis that staffs actually intelligent human beings, or at least ones capable of faking it, let me know. I've frightened myself twice in the past two weeks as I realized I've recieved much better service from much smarter techs and salesmen at a FORD dealership than I'm getting right now through Cadillac.

BTW - the two dealerships involved here were Lockhart Cadillac (thats my "regular" dealer), and Tutwiler Cadillac (theyre the ones I just called but didnt visit today) just in case any locals have had experience with these guys or were thinking of going to one of them.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
I don't think your problem was the belt slipping. It's more like machining chips in the pump relief valve. Turn your steering wheel to both limits and hold it while you goose the engine to flush the stuff on through so the screen can catch it. That ought to take care of the surprises.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I kind of wondered how water would get up in there, but if you look down through the engine bay, the space below the engine is open. I know quite a bit of moisture must get in there b/c I dont know where else all the dirt could come from. Anyways, the belt slipping was my first impression as well because right before the power steering came back, I could hear the squealing of a slipping belt.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Wow horrible experiences, It is rather annoying when you know more than the dearship about service, parts and products. I haven't had any problems with my dealer. I can tell they get sick of me talking about cadillacs all the time and the random visits to "look" at the new cars is probably annoying But they're generally knowledgeable about the cars and are more than happy to chat about the latest aftermarket stuff.

I think your dealer is just playing smart. I find that some dealers will say something even if they don't know, and say it as if they know exactly what they're talking about. Once instance, I was at a Pontiac dealership checking out the new G6 GTP Coupe, the salesman keep referring to it as "supercharged" I couldn't help it anymore so I explained to him no, it was a Naturally aspirated 3.9L V6 with an OHV setup and Variable Valve Timing he looked at me like I had 3 heads.... "You must be thinking of the Grand Prix" I said, didn't want him to feel too stupid :cool:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah back in june when I was car shopping, I learned very quickly that I definately know more about most cars than the salesmen. At one place as I explained what sort of features I wanted, the guy suggested I get a minivan!!! A minivan??!! I'd already told him I was 23 and single! I just looked at him for a moment, said "thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say in my life", and walked out the door.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
Yeah back in june when I was car shopping, I learned very quickly that I definately know more about most cars than the salesmen. At one place as I explained what sort of features I wanted, the guy suggested I get a minivan!!! A minivan??!! I'd already told him I was 23 and single! I just looked at him for a moment, said "thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say in my life", and walked out the door.
What did ya ask for, juice box holders? A garbage basin? The ugliest vehicle a decently paid 23 yr old could want?

I agree, I've had nothing but bad experiences at my Caddy dealership, and much better at my Ford. My Ford dealer let me do all those mods without voiding warranty. My Caddy dealer didn't know you could get a stick in the regular CTS, and also argued that the V exhuast wouldn't fit. Even tho I told him that it does, and its been done many many times. I even had to explain to him that my CTS has dual exhuast, even though it's not a V. I think a big problem is that most Caddy dealers are predominantly GM dealerships.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
What did ya ask for, juice box holders? A garbage basin? The ugliest vehicle a decently paid 23 yr old could want?
Well admittedly what I was looking for was mutually exclusive - about the same space as my Explorer, but better gas mileage (I was getting single digits in the city by the time I got rid of it). Obviously I could get better mileage by switching to just about any SUV other than a Jeep, but it still wouldnt be as much of an improvement as I was looking for. But still I would have given him much more credit if he'd just called me an idiot rather than suggesting I get a minivan.

AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
I think a big problem is that most Caddy dealers are predominantly GM dealerships.
Actually, the three dealers I've been to, the one in Lafayette (Marty Kendrick Cadillac), and the two in Indy (Lockhart and Tutwiler) have all been mainly just Cadillac (ok, kendrick also sold nissans and lockhart also sells hummers, but they just started that). None of them are the mass-GM lots you see other places. I think its a sad sight when the customers show up and know so much more than the service department guys and salesmen. These guys either work on or sell these cars so they should know them inside and out.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
... I think its a sad sight when the customers show up and know so much more than the service department guys and salesmen. These guys either work on or sell these cars so they should know them inside and out.
I have to say the best time i've ever had at a dealership was at an Audi Dealership down on the Cape (Tracy) that guy knew more about the A4 than I could even begin to recall. I like audi's mind you and know quite a bit about them but this guy was like a vernerable encyclopedia of Audi information, I was really very impressed.

Although he wouldn't let me take the S4 out for a test drive.... the caddy dealership let me take the CTS-V for 30 minutes so why not? :D

·
Registered
2005 & 2008 CTS
1,362 Posts
Dealerships go through salesman rather quick. Most of the salesman don't know sh!t. They are there to sit you down and sell you something. Can you tell I don't have a lot of respect for these guys.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts