Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ELR fully loaded baby!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the email yesterday that our cars have a 2G system and of course that will so go the way of the dodo bird! There is a fix. OnStar in the car will be disabled and you will have to plug a module into the OBDII port and use the OnStar Guardian app. Unfortunately as more electronics go into the cars I guess they will become like phones, oSSbsolete in a few years.

Gesture Communication Device Portable communications device Font Mobile phone

·
Registered
2016 ELR
202 Posts
This has been an issue for sometime, where Canada killed the 2G network first. There is mention of this as far back as 2015 for those in Canada - looks like finally happening here in the US.

The OnLink Guardian is relatively new, so they must have been offerering other types of solutions before this. Perhaps a newer Onstar module in the car, instead of the OBDII plug-in.

Also, know this is only for the 2014 ELR. The 2016 has 4G LTE.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
911 Posts
My research says that hands free calling is being discontinued.
That doesn't mean OnStar is being discontinued.
At 15 to 45 dollars a month to 20 million customers worldwide,
(That's somewhere between 150 and 900 million dollars a month!!!)
..GM has a real financial incentive to fix this problem

Unless they have changed something..

Edit:
In Canada in 2015 GM upgraded vehicles at no cost when the 2G network shut down.

·
Registered
2016 ELR
202 Posts
My research says that hands free calling is being discontinued. That doesn't mean OnStar is being discontinued. Unless they have changed something...
For older GM vehicles like the 2014 ELR, it all works (in the US) over the Verizon 2G network that is being sunset. So yes, both the phone feature and Onstar communications are affected. I think that article was trying to state that you can still use your own phone with bluetooth to continue to work, but the Onstar connectivity features were not covered.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,488 Posts
Why can't you get the upgrade that my 2014 got? From the service history:

Process Date:
11/18/2015
Transaction Type:
ZREG----Regular Vehicle Transaction
Transaction Expense Category:
Warranty
Customer Complaint Code:
0090-No Customer Complaint - Other
issues
Job Card Line #: 1 Transaction Adjustment: Cause Code: 9090-Other - Field Action / Tech
Bulletin
Labour Op 0602058-OnStar 3G/4G Upgrade - Installation Labour

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
13 Posts
I'm a bit worried that the Onstar OBD2 link may cause issues. I recall reading that some OBD2 adapters cause issues on the 1st gen Volts (or was it the ELR?) when left plugged in for monitoring. I would love to have the existing hardware updated to the '16 model on 4G, but that sounds pretty pricey when done at the dealer.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
911 Posts
Like I said before.
If you are paying for an OnStar subscription it would make financial sense for GM to upgrade your hardware.

·
Registered
2016 ELR
202 Posts
I'm a bit worried that the Onstar OBD2 link may cause issues. I recall reading that some OBD2 adapters cause issues on the 1st gen Volts (or was it the ELR?) when left plugged in for monitoring
Yes, some 3rd party OBDII monitoring devices are known to cause issues like you are worried about - not being careful to behave nicely on the communication links nor power-mode correctly. However, I'm sure a GM designed device like this new OnLink will be better matched to the vehicles. They likely went with this solution since it is super easy to retrofit in effort and cost, versus the OnStar module replacement itself.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, some 3rd party OBDII monitoring devices are known to cause issues like you are worried about - not being careful to behave nicely on the communication links nor power-mode correctly. However, I'm sure a GM designed device like this new OnLink will be better matched to the vehicles. They likely went with this solution since it is super easy to retrofit in effort and cost, versus the OnStar module replacement itself.
Hmm.... if it's just a module then why can't we buy it and install ourselves?

·
Registered
2016 ELR
202 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why can't you get the upgrade that my 2014 got? From the service history:

Process Date:
11/18/2015
Transaction Type:
ZREG----Regular Vehicle Transaction
Transaction Expense Category:
Warranty
Customer Complaint Code:
0090-No Customer Complaint - Other
issues
Job Card Line #: 1 Transaction Adjustment: Cause Code: 9090-Other - Field Action / Tech
Bulletin
Labour Op 0602058-OnStar 3G/4G Upgrade - Installation Labour
I wonder why they didn't suggest this fix hmm... I'll have to ask them but I suspect this plug in is cheaper for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts