Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the features that I love about this car is the automatically locking (if you want it to do that) doors after 10 seconds. I know that some people hate that feature and don't use it, but I've always got 10,000 things on my mind and I'm famous for walking away from the car and forgetting to lock it. And when I used to have to park on the street or in the driveway THAT would be the night the methhead would be going thru my car stealing anything of value. It happened a few times...I don't know how that can be but it seems like there's this zombie patrol of scumbags whose sole job in life is to check doorhandles on any and every car in the neighborhood every single night.

Anyway, love the feature. I thought there's no way it could lock the door by leaving the key FOB in the car, but apparently it can... :rolleyes:. I went out this morning and my FOB was sitting by the gear select and neither door would open. That's a first. My spare key? I dunno what the heck I ever do with those, it's somewhere. But fortunately this time I left my window down in the garage which is rare because I rarely drive with the window down. So I was able to just reach in and grab the FOB. Held it near the doorhandle sweet spot as always and the door worked. So, guessing all of a sudden the FOB battery is lame. But still, it happened so won't be doing that again....

·
Registered
2014 ELR, 2014 SRX, both red
16 Posts
One of the features that I love about this car is the automatically locking (if you want it to do that) doors after 10 seconds. I know that some people hate that feature and don't use it, but I've always got 10,000 things on my mind and I'm famous for walking away from the car and forgetting to lock it. And when I used to have to park on the street or in the driveway THAT would be the night the methhead would be going thru my car stealing anything of value. It happened a few times...I don't know how that can be but it seems like there's this zombie patrol of scumbags whose sole job in life is to check doorhandles on any and every car in the neighborhood every single night.

Anyway, love the feature. I thought there's no way it could lock the door by leaving the key FOB in the car, but apparently it can... :rolleyes:. I went out this morning and my FOB was sitting by the gear select and neither door would open. That's a first. My spare key? I dunno what the heck I ever do with those, it's somewhere. But fortunately this time I left my window down in the garage which is rare because I rarely drive with the window down. So I was able to just reach in and grab the FOB. Held it near the doorhandle sweet spot as always and the door worked. So, guessing all of a sudden the FOB battery is lame. But still, it happened so won't be doing that again....
I inadvertently left my FOB in the center cupholder when I left it in a busy valet parking lot. Ten minutes later valet came looking for me to see if I had the FOB as the door was locked. Unfortunately it was inside the vehicle, and I had left my phone home with Cadillac app but had my tablet and looked up the Cadillac Onstar number, and used valet phone to call OnStar and they were able to unlock the car after going thru several security questions to verify my ID. So if you still have OnStar activated you can have them unlock, or use the Cadillac app on your phone to unlock if your FOB is locked in again.

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great story, and another example now that inadvertent locking can happen with the FOB inside . I've been lazy since I got my ELR 6 months ago. I still haven't called OnStar, and every once in awhile I'll get a message over the stereo system reminding me. It always scares the crap out of me because I'll be driving along with my thoughts a million miles away, and my volume will be moderately high and then the voice from nowhere makes me jump out of my seat :oops:.

I honestly don't think that can happen with a fully charged key FOB, but there's no way to really monitor it so I guess best to just don't leave it in the car, even in your garage.

·
2016 ELR
16 ELR
97 Posts
That's a great story, and another example now that inadvertent locking can happen with the FOB inside . I've been lazy since I got my ELR 6 months ago. I still haven't called OnStar, and every once in awhile I'll get a message over the stereo system reminding me. It always scares the crap out of me because I'll be driving along with my thoughts a million miles away, and my volume will be moderately high and then the voice from nowhere makes me jump out of my seat :oops:.

I honestly don't think that can happen with a fully charged key FOB, but there's no way to really monitor it so I guess best to just don't leave it in the car, even in your garage.
I haven't called OnStar, either, but I haven't seen or heard any reminders to do so from the car, thankfully. I didn't even know it was something that could happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts