Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 White STS Z-Rated Massage seats 140k original
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in deadstop traffic , my car in drive for about 10 minutes straight with out moving..once..then this clickinggg noise from the engine started ! I freaked shut my engine off the noise died out clicking as the engine stopped. Like it faded away as the engine turned off ..my temp gauge moved off of center to just one dash toward "H". I was like ohh nooo....i chilled for about 2 min car off, started it back up ...no clicking noise....and the the temp guage stayed at were it was right above center then i pulled off and it went right back to dead center...i did like 50 mph home for 2 miles. Temp guage didnt budge off of dead center.......what the hell was that all about?:bonkers:

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,893 Posts
If you had no A/C or DEFROST function commanded, it's perfectly normal to have the temp needle go to the first tick past 12. That's about 225 degrees, the temp at which fans go to SLOW. The fans will cool to 213, fans turn OFF, and the cycle starts all over again. (With any A/C function called for, fans run in SLOW all the time, so the gauge should sit at 12 or so pretty much all the time - it may move in dead stop traffic in August.......)

The clicking is another question - I have no answers for that one. Intermittent engine noises are pretty hard to diagnose unless you're physically there.

BUT, you might take a look at the cooling fans and all their wiring - if fans went to SLOW it's entirely possible that something's hitting a fan blade - in which case you'd get a noise sort of like a playing card held in your bicycle spokes, and the noise would slow down and disappear as the fans went off at either key:OFF or temp at 213.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man u blow my mind everytime lol.

I had no ac or defrost on i shut it off i got hot...i was sitting there for what felt like a while , then like i said out of nowere that noise that sounded exactly like "cards in spokes " started lol i look at my dash and that needle moved up like less then a half inch glad to know thats normal!.....but the noise im ganna go look at those fans cause once i heard it the needle went up so maybe something is in the waay of the fan....!

Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While im on the subject i dont wanna start another thread....but if i smell what smells like to me is "hot anti freeze" does that guarentee my gaskets are ganna go soon....?

Thanks for baring with me lol

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,893 Posts
If you smell hot coolant you have a tiny leak, not a bad head gasket.

Pray that the smell is not caused by a failing heater core. PITA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts