Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Black 3.6L CTS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2006 3.6L CTS. Lately I've been hearing this "click/tick" sound from behind the driver's side. I can't tell if it is coming from way in front (under hood) or if it is closer to the steering wheel. The sound is comparable to a marble ball hitting another marble ball (i.e. marble as in the game you can play). The pattern I most hear is 3 or 4 clicks while I'm driving over uneven surfaces at speeds ranging 10 to 80 mph. The funny thing is it doesn't happen while driving over lane dividers (bumps) or on the should slits (the ones that keep you awake). Just sorta happens randomly.

So I concluded that it probably doesn't have to do with suspension. It might just be a loose bolt/nut/washer. I took it to the dealership but the serviceman said he really doesn't really hear anything out of the norm. If anyone has any relavent experiences, please let me know what you did or are doing to counter the sound.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
03 CTS
359 Posts
There is a plastic shroud that goes around the shock/strut on the front. It has a section on it that looks like an accordion, some times they crack in the valleys and can make that noise. Happens most to the guys that have lowered their cars.

·
Registered
2006 Black 3.6L CTS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my car is in the shop atm. I had a bad left arm controller. Hopefully the car is back tomorrow. Oddly, I hear the same sound and pattern in my rental.

(Btw, my dealership doesn't give out a loaner. I got a rental car but GM pays for it but I have to pay for the tax which comes out to be $8. Does any other car company do this? I thought Cadillac was high-end for GM. Way to treat its customers.)

·
Registered
'11 CADILLAC CTS
356 Posts
Is your warranty up? If not I don't see why they wouldn't give you a loaner. Where are you located again? If they won't give loaners and maybe this doesn't have anything to do with it but maybe your left lower control arm may not be the problem either. No? I'm just saying......

·
Registered
White diamond 05 CTS 3.6L Euro
181 Posts
CTS 05 3.6L

I think I'm having the same problem as you… "Clicking" sounds coming from the driver side dashboard / underneath it…
The sound I'm hearing is like if a "Pip" is loses and hitting the sides…

At first the sound comes on badly uneven roads, but then it's started to exaggerate and now I can hear it most of the time while diving…. and in time it started happen while driving over lane dividers (bumps)…

My 40,000 KM service is near and still under warranty so I'll mention this to the dealer and hopefully they'll fix it ….

·
Registered
2006 Black 3.6L CTS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is your warranty up? If not I don't see why they wouldn't give you a loaner. Where are you located again? If they won't give loaners and maybe this doesn't have anything to do with it but maybe your left lower control arm may not be the problem either. No? I'm just saying......
No, my warranty is still valid. The control arm problem is being fixed and is covered by warranty. Ya, I don't think that the control arm is causing the noise. I will post an update when I get my car back (hopefully today).

·
Registered
2006 Black 3.6L CTS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATED FOR REFERENCE...

I recently had dropped off my CTS to check out a rumble sound that came from the left tire area. It turns out that the rumble sound was due to a shock (not control arm). The dealership could never reproduce the sound (I only heard it when it rained). Fortunately (or unfortunately) they had an SRX there that had the same problem. For a while they put both cars through the car wash and sprayed water under the car. Finally, on the 3rd day the SRX started making the sound again. My CTS never reproduced the sound but they concluded that it was the same rumble. I've driven in the rain and my car hasn't made the sound (yet).

The clicking/ticking sound (sounds like metal marbles striking each other) is ALSO gone (what the whole thread was about initially). I do hope that it was all related to the left shock but I'll see in time.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts