Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed recently that on cold mornings, the first time or two that my car shifts under accelleration, it seems to lag really bad. It will accelerate through the gear, then during the shift it feels like someone is touching the brakes for a moment. Is my car f*cked up or is this something other people have experienced?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
I really pamper my CTS when I first start it up after setting for some time in frigid temperatures, I let it warm up a bit for doing any high revs. It is a bit sluggish the first couple of minutes. Overdrive is where I notice it most.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
I have not looked to see if the cars are like this but I know my GMC truck is programmed to hold the gears longer when cold for better performance and to facilitate faster warmup to operating temps, seems like it does not want to shift. Been like this since 1999 models in the light duty truck and I know many have questioned this, thinking they had trans problems.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
yeah DDS, i thinkthats normal...mine does the same thing when i leave for work in the morning until i hit the freeway (about 2 miles away)...

just make sure you try to warm your car up properly and just don't get in it and run when it's super cold...

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
My guess is this, if you are using a cold air intake, it could effect your car while running in the cold.

Colder air is beneficial to a car, except when its real cold, then warmer air can help the car run better. In the olden days car air intake would be warmed over the exhaust maniforld in cold weather.

The MAF could be having problems metering the air flow? Even with stock applications, the under hood environment will need to warm up some to warm up intake air.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
No problems here. THe transmission shifts a little harder in the cold, but i'd expect that from any car. As everyone as has said, best advice is to let the car warm up a bit before going anywhere in the cold weather.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not acting like it doesnt want to shift, rather it seems to "pull back" during the shift. Hmm, oh well sounds like its not something to worry about too much.

I too have been thinking about a remote start but from what I've seen in threads on this topic, starters that will work in this car are rather pricy to purchase and install. The thing that concerns me more however is the idea of having to use an extra key in the remote starter to bypass the ignition lockout. I'm just worried that someone could break in while it was warming and take off, or somehow use the remote starter to "hotwire" the vehicle when I'm not there.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
5 spd auto? does it feel like its slipping?
I had this issue last year and when i did a little bit of research, i found out that BMWs with the same transmissions have the same exact issue and it's a simple software update. I don't think they have the update for our cars though :(

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
DDS, not to worry about someone driving off with your CTS with a remote start. There are about a half dozen security features they'll have to jump. In addition the newer starts have a different system other than a spare key to get past the PASSKEY 3+.

·
Registered
87 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
Its not acting like it doesnt want to shift, rather it seems to "pull back" during the shift. Hmm, oh well sounds like its not something to worry about too much.
Experienced the same last night. Ambient temp was 25F and I let the car warm up (atleast the engine), went away after about a mile. I'm guessing that it is the tranny and you just have to let it warm up on its own.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
totally normal, it will hold the gears to help warm up the tranny faster.
the result of holding the gears higher is a tran braking effect when you let of the gas
totally normal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
I've noticed recently that on cold mornings, the first time or two that my car shifts under accelleration, it seems to lag really bad. It will accelerate through the gear, then during the shift it feels like someone is touching the brakes for a moment. Is my car f*cked up or is this something other people have experienced?
My '03 3.2 does exactly the same thing. When pulling out of my driveway up a slight grade, it almost seems like the engine quits at the exact time it shifts from 1st to 2nd. After it warms up, it doesn't do that any more, but I don't like it. It feels as though the computer retards the timing at the instant it shifts. I think it does it under load too after it warms up, but isn't as noticeable. I quit worrying about it. Driving it in sport mode helps that initial hesitation in the morning.:yup:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awsome guys, thanks for all the help! Only problem now is that adds one more thing to the list of what I want to do with the money I made selling my XBOX 360 on ebay (paid $450 for the system + 1 game, sold for $935 + shipping). Lets see, I could buy a gun, get the new sport or v grill and a volant, or I could go with the remote starter...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
between a gun and some parts thats a tough call. i just paid off my credit card for the loaded AR i bought (about 1700)...now the card is getting ready to get kicked again with this header stuff. you have to keep a balance, my friend...mix it up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
Awsome guys, thanks for all the help! Only problem now is that adds one more thing to the list of what I want to do with the money I made selling my XBOX 360 on ebay (paid $450 for the system + 1 game, sold for $935 + shipping). Lets see, I could buy a gun, get the new sport or v grill and a volant, or I could go with the remote starter...

:D

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
My wife bought me a Walther PPK after the concealed carry law was made even less strict here in Alaska. If it is legal to own the weapon, you can carry it concealed. Since the new regulations, assaults and strong arm robberies have gone nearly to zero. God didn't make men equal, Sam Colt did.

·
Registered
52 Posts
dkozloski said:
My wife bought me a Walther PPK after the concealed carry law was made even less strict here in Alaska. If it is legal to own the weapon, you can carry it concealed. Since the new regulations, assaults and strong arm robberies have gone nearly to zero. God didn't make men equal, Sam Colt did.
I agree. If the bad guys know that everybody either can or does pack, crime goes down.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts