Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS
13 Posts
i noticed this constant shifting back and forth and hesitating recently and it appears to be getting worse. so far I have found that it could be the TCU needs [to be] reset by the dealer? but I also read where it could be a bad coil or the contacts inside the black plastic box of the throttle body? or it could be the torque converter??

i have replaced the plugs and cleaned the throttle body and intake.(but not the plastic box,yet) i did not notice any plug that was real bad, which I assume is one way to tell if a coil was bad?

i do not get any codes from the check engine light.

it idles fine and if I really get into the gas, it shifts fine and has plenty of power, but as soon as I get back to normal driving, it is constantly shifting up and down and hesitating.

i also am trying to figure out the dreaded dash failure after unhooking the battery.

the car starts and runs fine (except the shifting and missing issue) and everything else seems to be working fine. just no temp, fuel, tach or speedo.

its a 2005, 3.6, 130,000 miles. i hate to have to give this away for nothing because it doesn't run right and I dont want to spend any money on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
You don't want to spend any money on it? Hey, all cars need maintenance. Maintenance is rarely free. If you want to keep the car in good shape, spending money on maintenance and repairs is obligatory.

The only way to avoid that is to inherit a new car from a recently deceased friend or relative, and then you get the benefits of being under warranty for a while, without having to buy a car. But who can count on doing that?

My 04 CTS has about 130K on it as well, and in the last month I've replaced the front struts, lower control arms, alternator, starter, four tires, and Monday it goes in for a new steering rack.
By the time it gets this old with this many miles on it, you have to expect these things. Parts wear out. You either replace them or the car will eventually strand you.

It's not that I exactly LOVE dropping well over 2K on car maintenance recently, it's that I NEED to do it because walking SUCKS.

Your car looks very good, BTW. What grill is that? I want one for mine.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes - I understand the whole maintenance and money thing......I guess I should have said I don't want to put any more money into it. I have had this car for about 4 years now and it was good to me for 40,000 miles. Now, I just don't need it any more. So I had planned to sell it soon. I can't sell it the way it is, and if I send it to the dealer to fix these issues, I could have as much into the bill than I could sell the car for. I was hoping to find some DIY fixes for these issues.

The only things I have done to the car is add the wheels/tires and minor maintenance issues that I have taken care of over the years. Trust me - it is very well taken care of and pampered.

The grill came with the car, I am not sure what brand it is or where it came from.

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
It's probably worth fixing even if only to preserve its trade-in or sale value. If a car needs 1000 dollars worth of work, a dealer will knock 2000 off its value, and if you try to sell it person to person, you get hit even harder.

The car needs to be in good running and driving condition to be worth much. So you will either have to spend some money to fix it, or take a huge hit on its resale value.

Ever considered pulling spares from a junkyard? There are a few parts that'd have to be reprogrammed to work in another CTS, but not too many and any decent shop will program them for you for a fair price.

Most of the programmable parts are also fairly easy to get to and replace, too.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do the modules that need to be re-programmed work OK until you get them re-programmed? or do you need to get the car towed to the shop for re-programming?
thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts