Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wierd problem

1995 Deville 4.9L

Okay......just got a call from my wife. She was on her way to work when she got off the freeway and the trouble started.

She said first, the power steering went out. Then she got a message about no battery connection or something. The she got another message about high coolant temperature, and then another about something with the air conditioner (she couldn't rememebr exactly). She was able to drive it the remaining mile to work, but the three messages kept flashing and the power steering still was out. She had the air conditioner on (albeit not very high), but she turned it down (still worked).

I have no clue what's going...about to go take a look at it right now.

Does anyone have the faintest idea of what's wreaking havoc in my Cadi?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,651 Posts
Re: Wierd problem

First guess is she threw a belt.

Could power steering, alternator, and A/C all be on the same belt on this car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Re: Wierd problem

I'm with elvis on this one.

A belt that would have snapped or one that slips WOULD stop the alt, A/C, PS pump, and water pump to stop functioning therefore giving you battery no charge warnings, A/C problems, no Power steering, and high engine temp respectively. Check the serpintine belt and see if that's the issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure enough, the belt was gone. Not just snapped, but totally gone. So now we have to get it towed somewhere, which we do NOT have the money for, so we're screwed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Spreng said:
Sure enough, the belt was gone. Not just snapped, but totally gone. So now we have to get it towed somewhere, which we do NOT have the money for, so we're screwed.
A belt is an EASY fix. Just buy a belt, put it on, and drive it home! No need to worry about a tow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2dfx said:
A belt is an EASY fix. Just buy a belt, put it on, and drive it home! No need to worry about a tow.
Figuring out how it goes on (which pulleys, etc.) is going to be the hard part. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Spreng said:
Figuring out how it goes on (which pulleys, etc.) is going to be the hard part. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.
When you go to the parts store, they can give you the belt diagram its usuallt in the back of there parts book. and the car also has a diagram either on the strut tower or radiator support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bah, well I got the belt back on....

Water pump was making a hideous noise, black smoke was coming from the exhaust, and coolant was leaking everywhere. I drove it around the parking lot a bit and it seemed fine, except for the noise and smoke. Decided to try to make it to the Cadillac dealer 4 miles away. Less than a mile from it on the highway, water pump pulley completely broke off!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Spreng said:
Bah, well I got the belt back on....

Water pump was making a hideous noise, black smoke was coming from the exhaust, and coolant was leaking everywhere. I drove it around the parking lot a bit and it seemed fine, except for the noise and smoke. Decided to try to make it to the Cadillac dealer 4 miles away. Less than a mile from it on the highway, water pump pulley completely broke off!
That seems odd.

ARE YOU SURE YOU ROUTED THE BELT CORRECTLY? There is a routing diagram under the hood. But you will obviously need a new water pump. Lucky for you, it will be cheaper and easier to install than if you had a Northstar engine.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
Spreng
Top