Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 STS makes a strange sound ONLY when turning right! I haven't been able to isolate it. It sounds like a fan lightly hitting something, but it could be something unrelated to the fan. Anyone have an idea where to start troubleshooting?
Thanks in advance,
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
It's not the flywheel hitting the steering column. The noise is the starter drive hitting the flywheel (actually the flex-plate, flywheels are in manual transmission cars). You're right that replacing the starter will cure the noise though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Katshot said:
It's not the flywheel hitting the steering column. The noise is the starter drive hitting the flywheel (actually the flex-plate, flywheels are in manual transmission cars). You're right that replacing the starter will cure the noise though.
Hello Kevin,

My 91 Seville makes a strange noise (roar) ONLY when moves. Sounds like it has a second engine. The frequency of the noise changes with speed. The noise remains the same when I turn the engine off while moving.

Any idea what it could mean?

Thanks,
ADALLA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
adalla said:
Hello Kevin,

My 91 Seville makes a strange noise (roar) ONLY when moves. Sounds like it has a second engine. The frequency of the noise changes with speed. The noise remains the same when I turn the engine off while moving.

Any idea what it could mean?

Thanks,
ADALLA
You should already have a PM with the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Same noise on my '95 Eldorado?

Recently began noticing a 'humming' noise when I'm in turns on the highway... more pronounced to the right. Sounds like it originates up in the front end somewhere?
Changed CV joints... didn't fix the problem.
New wheel bearings... same result.
My mech thinks it's some kind of bearing in the transaxle assembly?

Would appreciate any thoughts on this?

Cheers... Misty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Re: Same noise on my '95 Eldorado?

misty145 said:
Recently began noticing a 'humming' noise when I'm in turns on the highway... more pronounced to the right. Sounds like it originates up in the front end somewhere?
Changed CV joints... didn't fix the problem.
New wheel bearings... same result.
My mech thinks it's some kind of bearing in the transaxle assembly?

Would appreciate any thoughts on this?

Cheers... Misty
Hello Misty,

I have got similar noise (sounds like one motor aircraft). It is quite notisible when I drive at 20-30, and increases when I turn right, no changes when turning left. My first concern was rather transmission than front end (hub or CV-joint). I damaged transmission a year ago while skidding and getting off road in the havy rain, and have had problem getting up hill since. Perhaps this "old" problem just developed further...Did you have any serious skidding?

Adalla
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
Re: Same noise on my '95 Eldorado?

This may sound stupid but has anyone checked the tires? Uneven or feathered tread, especially along the edges can cause some rather serious sounding noises, and it can sound worse while turning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Re: Same noise on my '95 Eldorado?

adalla said:
Hello Misty,

I have got similar noise (sounds like one motor aircraft). It is quite notisible when I drive at 20-30, and increases when I turn right, no changes when turning left. My first concern was rather transmission than front end (hub or CV-joint). I damaged transmission a year ago while skidding and getting off road in the havy rain, and have had problem getting up hill since. Perhaps this "old" problem just developed further...Did you have any serious skidding?

Adalla
No skidding. This just developed over a period of a year or so?
Have changed CV-joints... didn't do a thing?
Also tried new wheel bearings... nothing?

Am wondering about this starter deal, though?

One good thing; I'll soon have a "new" Eldorado!

Cheers... Misty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Re: Same noise on my '95 Eldorado?

Katshot said:
This may sound stupid but has anyone checked the tires? Uneven or feathered tread, especially along the edges can cause some rather serious sounding noises, and it can sound worse while turning.

Ah, first thing I thought of to, so replaced the tires [they were due anyhow] and the noise remained... unchanged??

Cheers... Misty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Re: Same noise on my '95 Eldorado?

Katshot said:
This may sound stupid but has anyone checked the tires? Uneven or feathered tread, especially along the edges can cause some rather serious sounding noises, and it can sound worse while turning.
My right front tire does have uneven wear. I have replaced it with spare one - same thing, same noise. The frequency of the noise actually higher than one rotating wheels have. It's the reason I still think about some bearings in the transaxle.

ADALLA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Re: Same noise on my '95 Eldorado?

Katshot said:
This may sound stupid but has anyone checked the tires? Uneven or feathered tread, especially along the edges can cause some rather serious sounding noises, and it can sound worse while turning.
Kevin,

Today I tried to replace one of the front hub-bearing assemblies and noticed a wear made by wheel spead sensor where it contacts (if it should contact) the teetht. Is it mechanical sensor or optical? May it be the source of the noise I cannot get rid of? Where is nothing like that on another front wheel.

Thank you,

Armen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Re: Same noise on my '95 Eldorado?

misty145 said:
Ah, first thing I thought of to, so replaced the tires [they were due anyhow] and the noise remained... unchanged??

Cheers... Misty
Misty,

Today I finally decided to replace left front hub-bearig assembly. The assembly was half pulled out when I noticed strange wear on the rack-wheel most likely coused by the wheel speed sensor. Where was nothing like that on the right wheel. So I put old hub back and decided to take a drive test. SURPRISINGLY the noice vanished. Before I had very loud roaring noise while driving straight, the noise increased while turning right and decreased while turning left. Now I hear soft noise when I only turn left. I am going to replace the sensor some day. You might want to check your rack-whell for specific wear.

Armen
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
adalla
Top