Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Is it wise to use my mechanic vs. authorized Cadillac service center to save money?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wierd heater experience

Just purchased a 1995 Deville (4.9L, not Northstar), with 122,000 miles. Two interesting problems have arisen. First, the heat only comes out on the front right passenger side. I've set the temperature at 90 degrees. The driver's side comes out cool. The motor blower works fine. What could be wrong? Is it comething I can repair myself? Second, I received the message, "check engine soon" and was able to access the codes by pressing the "off" and "Red" heat button simultaneously. The code (P048) indicated that EGR valve needing replacement. I purchased the valve (Borg Warner from O'Reilly Auto) and tried to remove the two bolts that hold it in place. I had to purchase a small swivel socket (13mm). The bolt on the left side (facing the engine from the front) was not to hard to remove, but the bolt on the right side is almost impossible to access due to the very small opening. Any suggestions on how to remove this bolt? Also, my EGR valve kit said that I needed to secure the washer leading to the intake manifold by taking a center punch and pounding onthe bottom of the EGR valve base. I'm not really sure what to do or if this is necessary. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Re: Wierd heater experience

The heater core is probably bad.... Its a common problem, search the forums to be enlightened!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Wierd heater experience

bbrownbs said:
Just purchased a 1995 Deville (4.9L, not Northstar), with 122,000 miles. Two interesting problems have arisen. First, the heat only comes out on the front right passenger side. I've set the temperature at 90 degrees. The driver's side comes out cool. The motor blower works fine. What could be wrong? Is it comething I can repair myself? Second, I received the message, "check engine soon" and was able to access the codes by pressing the "off" and "Red" heat button simultaneously. The code (P048) indicated that EGR valve needing replacement. I purchased the valve (Borg Warner from O'Reilly Auto) and tried to remove the two bolts that hold it in place. I had to purchase a small swivel socket (13mm). The bolt on the left side (facing the engine from the front) was not to hard to remove, but the bolt on the right side is almost impossible to access due to the very small opening. Any suggestions on how to remove this bolt? Also, my EGR valve kit said that I needed to secure the washer leading to the intake manifold by taking a center punch and pounding onthe bottom of the EGR valve base. I'm not really sure what to do or if this is necessary. Any thoughts?
Same problem on my '95. Here is the fix: Sticky: 91 & UP Caddy half heat mystery solved!!
CadillacJack76

1 - 3 of 3 Posts