·
Registered
CTS-V
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the gas station...
After turning off the car, the display said something like
"Keyfob not detected restart allowed."
I thought it was weird got scared and restarted the V.
After seeing that it started I shut it off and pumped gas.
Then when I went back to the car the alarm went off and the horn went crazy.
After this the car went dead and was completely locked.
I had to open the door with the hidden key.
Nothing worked, it was DEAD.
I kept playing with the FOB until finally it came on many many minutes later.
I jumped in the seat and as I drove away it said...
"Theft Attempted".

Was this just the Theft system working correctly or will this happen again and does my FOB have problems????
:eek:

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
557 Posts
Sounds like the main battery was toast, may need to load test it, my wife's lexus did something similiar. High heat does bad things to lead acid batteries.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
557 Posts
Matter of fact, the wife's previous prius did something like that too.....

·
Registered
CTS-V
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just put my battery tender on it.
I hooked it up to the front, was that correct you think??

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
When my 2009 CTS-V was about three weeks old, it refused to start. I saw a message to the effect that the remote was not recognized. The remote was in my pocket where it had always been before. After putting the remote in the special position reserved for remotes with weak batteries, it started and everything was OK after that.

Why did that happen? Well, all processor controlled devices can exhibit such strange behavior from time to time. Will it happen again? Maybe, maybe not. Both the remote and the remote receiver are run by microprocessors and their associated software. These electronic devices do strange things some times and after a reboot never fail again. The reboot sometimes requires removal of power, sometime not. If your car exhibits this strange behaviour again in a fairly short time (maybe serveral days), I would be concerned and have it checked out. If not, forget about it.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
557 Posts
Have you been listening to music or AV on in ACC mode without engine running for awhile? I still prefer load test, because it will discover buckled/compromised cells. If this is the case and still under warranty, you get a new battery. If while driving and V on the battery is +14V then the alternator is good. Use to be I'd see more dead alternators than batteries, now it's the other way around. Last three electrical issues where 1 dead alternator 2 buckled batteries. Loa test is easy and fast, just go to a place that sells batteries and ask for it, it only takes a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
I'm not sure if this is a factor, but .... I was also getting intermittent messages saying that my remote was not recognized, while it was, in fact, in my pocket. In the same pocket, I carry another remote for another vehicle because all my house keys, etc., are attached to it. After several occurrences of this, I started carrying the v2's remote in a separate pocket by itself. No more messages. Could be the two remotes were somehow interfering with each other. Just a thought ..

Rob

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
RapidRob, that probably was the or at least a factor, as someone posted on this forum not too long ago that they were the same and / or similar problems, and were carrying their work access card in the same pocket. When they moved their work access card to another location, the problem went away.

·
Registered
CTS-V
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thing is I have a Lingenfelter tune, so I got really worried!
I'm going to the Vette Doctors on Monday.
Also...
If I put the remote in the console that will recharge the remote??

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
BINGO Gary! I vaguely remember that post ... could be something to it then. Thanks for chiming in .. :thumbsup:

Rob

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS4
39 Posts
When my 2009 CTS-V was about three weeks old, it refused to start. I saw a message to the effect that the remote was not recognized. The remote was in my pocket where it had always been before. After putting the remote in the special position reserved for remotes with weak batteries, it started and everything was OK after that.

Why did that happen? Well, all processor controlled devices can exhibit such strange behavior from time to time. Will it happen again? Maybe, maybe not. Both the remote and the remote receiver are run by microprocessors and their associated software. These electronic devices do strange things some times and after a reboot never fail again. The reboot sometimes requires removal of power, sometime not. If your car exhibits this strange behaviour again in a fairly short time (maybe serveral days), I would be concerned and have it checked out. If not, forget about it.
So What is the special position reserved for remotes with weak batteries

·
Registered
CTS-V
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ohhh....Gary Gary Gary...
I leave my house alarm remote in the center console.
Maybe that is what is interfering??
Where can i put it then?
AAAHHHhhh!!!:banghead:

·
Registered
Formerly 09 CTS-V, Red; now 16 CTS-V, Red
304 Posts
If I put the remote in the console that will recharge the remote??
I don't know about the STS-V, but on the 2009 CTS-V this action provides enough power to the key so it can be recognized while plugged in, but does not recharge the battery. The manual says:

If the transmitter battery is weak, the DIC may display
Electronic Key Not Detected when you try to start
the vehicle. To start the vehicle, place the transmitter in
the center console storage area transmitter pocket
with the buttons facing to the front of the vehicle. Then,
with the vehicle in P (Park) or N (Neutral), press the
brake pedal and the ignition control knob. See Starting
the Engine on page 2-34, for additional information
about the vehicle’s electronic keyless ignition with push
start. Replace the transmitter battery as soon as
possible.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
I had this happen once in an airport parking lot, probably due to interference from the the radar sites located at the airport. I suspect other electronic devices and security cards can cause the same symptoms under the right circumstances.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
365 Posts
I got the "Key Not Detected" message a few time and I found out it only happens when I have my wireless phone in the same pocket as my key fob.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
I got this yesterday, too. I couldn't get into my car for about 30 seconds, then was finally granted entry to the car. When I tried to start up, I got the "Key not detected" message as well. I took the keyfob out of my pocket and was immediately able to start the car.

I thought at first my battery had died--my little boy often reaches up from his car seat to play with the rear dome light, and has occasionally left them on.

This is not Cadi-specific. This happened occasionally on the Acura RL I owned prior to the V, which also has a keyless system. These glitches happen and I don't worry about them.

·
Registered
CTS-V
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It seems like from what some of you guys are saying that my other remotes and cell phone can interfere?
I hope that's not the case!
Do I have to drive naked???
Lol.

·
Performance Enthusiast
2009 CTS, 2009 CTS-V, 2012 CLS550
479 Posts
I've experienced the same problem. FOB would not work, door was locked and could not unlock. Luckily the driver's window was down and I reached into the vehicle and unlocked from the inside. Once that was done I was able to get in and start the car. Weird.... Just happened once.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
mik2718 is correct when he says that placing the remote in the special location described in the owner's manual for remotes with weak batteries will not recharge the battery in the remote. I have never had a remote for a Cadillac or any other brand of car that had a rechargeable battery in it. As far as I know, no such remote has ever existed and probably never will. His description of the "special location", extracted from the owner's manual is also correct.

Regarding cell phones, I carry my cell phone in the provided belt holder on the right side of my body. The remote is in my left pocket. Does this have anything to do with the failure that I experienced? I don't know.

As a matter of interest, with the remote in my left pocket, I can open the driver's door, but the passenger door will not open. If I walk around to the right side of the car with the remote still in my left pocket, the passenger door will open. Also, moving the remote from my left pocket to the center of the car allows the passenger door to open. The signal strength between the remote and the receiver(s) in the car is apparently very low. This might explain some of the peculiarities documented in this thread.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
Ohhh....Gary Gary Gary...
I leave my house alarm remote in the center console.
Maybe that is what is interfering??
Where can i put it then?
AAAHHHhhh!!!:banghead:
I don't know, Chopmeat, As I don't even have one of these magnificent whips yet, but I would guess yes, and as to where to put it, is there a special place in the visor for something like that, or maybe the glove box, or maybe in the driver side rear foot area where you can reach it but it is not in close proximity of the fob?
Might want to do some reading on corvetteforum.com as I believe that some of them have had the same and / or similar issues? Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts