Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I go to start up my caddy and it sounds like a dead battery. Take it out and have it checked and sure enough it's dead. I bring back my new battery and connect it and I turn the ignition and all the lights and dash work fine, but the car won't crank over. I take out the key circle the car, check everything then I go back in and try again but this time nothing turns on, no dash no nothing. As I go out again to check everything I hear a ticking sound coming from the driver side engine bay, it was the advert ignition relay (spelling). Take that out but my buddy says if it's making a sound that means it's working. We try to locate the starter to give it a good beating but we fail and we head out to grab some grub. I left my trunk locked but since car was not working the trunk was not completely closed. When we get back the trunk is completely closed. I run inside the car and try to turn her over but nothing. I noticed when I open the door all the lights in the car where flashing, they would dim and become very bright again. Throughout the whole day I have seen the little "security" light on my dash flashing. My buddy told me it had something to do with some type of security system on the car and since I have never replaced the battery that since it spent so much time without power I may need to do something. I purchased the car used and it came with a fairly new battery. Now I am here trying to figure out what is wrong with my car. This is my daily and I need to fix it asap. Any help would greatly be appriciated.

·
Registered
94 Concours
63 Posts
New battery, that doesn't mean it's a known good battery or that it is sufficiently charged. 12.5+ V
Start checking cables and grounds.

Seach this site for threads relating to starting. Lots of info as you know.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
I have had bad batteries right off the shelf. Make sure that the cables are clean and tight. If they are badly corroded, it can get under the insulation. The starter is in the valley under the intake manifold, but that does not sound like your problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cables itself seems to be good but the part of the cables that make contact with the bater seem to be a dirty. Actually on the positive cable there was a build up of bluish powder/dust. I am going out to give it another go.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As soon as I opened the door the in-advert power relay began ticking. Hopefully this sounds familiar and someone get give me some insight on what went wrong

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
Actually on the positive cable there was a build up of bluish powder/dust.
Clean them with a baking soda & water solution. I think that is your problem. Inspect them very closely to be sure that none of the corrosion has worked its way under the insulation. I think you will find that your problem will be solved.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe it is the negative that has the rubber insulation around the contact with the battery correct ? If so I did find some corrosion " blue powder/dust" on the inside of that part. I applied the baking soda and water solution and gave it a good beating with a brush. I have yet to clean the inside of the insulation, I am guess that is a good idea but how would I go by doing this ? Thanks Ranger you have been a huge help, I really appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
The best you can do is dip the end of the cable in a cup of the solution. Usually if the corrosion gets under the insulation, you have to R & R the cable.

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
As well as that Battery cable issue that you have. You might want to have a look at your PZM (Body control Module), What you are describing in your post, the PZM controls these items, lights, inadvertant power, if you can get some power, run the codes and see what appears, you are going to get a whack of them because of the disconnected battery, but there might be one or two that will give some answers, Before my 98 got TBoned, it was giving me the same sort of problems, and I traced it back to the PZM, it was hit before I could fix it though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem fixed. The cables needed to be clean. The baking soda worked great. Thanks fellas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts