Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
Joined
·
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I wanna start saving weight on the Caddy. I'll be taking out my spare tire, along with the rear seat. I've got lighter 18's ordered, and am looking for a set of lighter front seats. Other then that, I have no idea where to start. Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
Hey guys. I wanna start saving weight on the Caddy. I'll be taking out my spare tire, along with the rear seat. I've got lighter 18's ordered, and am looking for a set of lighter front seats. Other then that, I have no idea where to start. Any thoughts?
And the reason for all of this?
 

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
I think I read somewhere that it takes around 300lbs to make a 1 MPG difference. For what it will cost you for new seats, etc. it would be cheaper to just pay the extra money in gas and give up that 1 MPG savings that you would have it you went through with changing everything out.
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
Joined
·
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tomm said:
I think I read somewhere that it takes around 300lbs to make a 1 MPG difference. For what it will cost you for new seats, etc. it would be cheaper to just pay the extra money in gas and give up that 1 MPG savings that you would have it you went through with changing everything out.
Yeah, I know it would be cheaper. That's not the point. One of the benefits would be more mpg's. The real reason is in the thread I allready wrote. Better handling and faster acceleration.

I know opinions are free, but I'm relaly looking for constructive ideas here, not opinions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Unless you get drastic, you're not saving that much weight with just removing the spare and backseat. My friend did a couple of test runs at the track one day where he did a couple runs with his Eclipse as-is and then spend an hour removing everything he could, spare tire, back seat, passenger seat, and even a some plastic panels in the trunk... Made no difference on his 1/4mi times.
 

·
Registered
2005 & 2008 CTS
Joined
·
1,362 Posts
Good Link and point. Your not really doing much by tearing the seats and spare tire out with lighter wheels. Just wasting time. Perhaps a V is in order.
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
Joined
·
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MontySkull said:
Unless you get drastic, you're not saving that much weight with just removing the spare and backseat. My friend did a couple of test runs at the track one day where he did a couple runs with his Eclipse as-is and then spend an hour removing everything he could, spare tire, back seat, passenger seat, and even a some plastic panels in the trunk... Made no difference on his 1/4mi times.
I plan on getting drastic. I just don't know where to start with this car specifically.

Your friend didn't remove anything that weighed alot. He just removed what I allready have removed, as well. I'm not stopping here. Also, I'm not talking about drag racing. I'm talking about auto-x'ing. Thanks for the heads up tho.
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
Joined
·
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the responses! To 05CTS, a good suggestion, but I really don't want a V. Me personnally, I'd prefer a high output 6 in a lighter CTS, then a big v8 in a heavier CTSV, but thats just me. I'm kooky like that :)

im20agn, good suggestion.

I'm thinking of removing most of the sound deading, or parts. I'm not looking for huge gains here. If I could get rid of 200 lbs, I'd be loving it. I'm allready looking at a carbon fibre driveshaft that someone in the V section suggested.

Guestimate. Rear seat, rear deck, spare wheel tire, etc, most sounddeadening, lighter wheels, lighter driveshaft, lighter exhuast. I really think I can get rid of 200 lbs. PLUS, a lot of rotational weight from the wheels and DS.

Now, opinions are welcome :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,683 Posts
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
Thanks for the responses! To 05CTS, a good suggestion, but I really don't want a V. Me personnally, I'd prefer a high output 6 in a lighter CTS, then a big v8 in a heavier CTSV, but thats just me. I'm kooky like that :)

im20agn, good suggestion.

I'm thinking of removing most of the sound deading, or parts. I'm not looking for huge gains here. If I could get rid of 200 lbs, I'd be loving it. I'm allready looking at a carbon fibre driveshaft that someone in the V section suggested.

Guestimate. Rear seat, rear deck, spare wheel tire, etc, most sounddeadening, lighter wheels, lighter driveshaft, lighter exhuast. I really think I can get rid of 200 lbs. PLUS, a lot of rotational weight from the wheels and DS.

Now, opinions are welcome :)
If you want drastic

Things to remove
headunit
AC
mirrors
backseats
sound dampening material
carpet
center console
speakers
spare tires
Engine cover
Exhaust system

Things to replace
Body panels with custom carbon fiber including hood
Competition wheels that weigh well below 20lbs each

Now what can you do with the car? i don't know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
I plan on getting drastic. I just don't know where to start with this car specifically.

Your friend didn't remove anything that weighed alot. He just removed what I allready have removed, as well. I'm not stopping here. Also, I'm not talking about drag racing. I'm talking about auto-x'ing. Thanks for the heads up tho.
Have you Auto-X'd before? I'd suggest a project car and keeping the CTS as is. If the CTS is you only car then realize that if you break it, you're walking till it's fixed.. MR2s, Miatas, and Neons are the ones I usually see owning the Auto-X courses and easily found for dirt cheap. Parts for those are cheap too. Also, get yourself a copy of the SCCA rule book. You mod too heavily and you'll find yourself in the wrong class competing against cars you have no business running against. It's just like wrestling (not WWF). You want to be as far on top of your class as possible without going over to the next class.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Golden Rule of Thumb: every 100lbs you deduct from your car should shave a tenth of a second of your 1/4 mile times!!

As for weight reduction on a CTS, you lose much value when you sell the car. But if your really into tracking/dragging the car then yeah. Besides just the rear seats and spare, you can also take out the sound detonation that the factory puts on and that should save some weight. Door panels, floor boards, miscellaneous metal parts, a/c, power steering (gives better handling also), interior pieces and dash pieces you dont need, so basically your gunna be seeing just bare metal. Carbon Fiber/ kevlar/ or fiberglass body panels are expensive but worth it if you really want to go all out. And if your a millionaire, get titanium parts! =D. Well, i used to work on alot of my friends hondas that used to autocross and drag and they gutted their cars. Good Luck, and if you do decide to Gut your car and run 1/4 mile, then post your timeslip!

If you drag. . . .
Every Pound Counts!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,683 Posts
RobertCTS said:
Here's the best answer. Plus could you loose some pounds? Wear sandals, no shirt & shorts. Shave your head.
and don't wear any underwear and go to the bathroom before you get in the car. :D
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top