Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting weatherstripping around the top of the Volant box. Its nice and sealed up now. I'll drive it in the morning and see how it feels/sounds.

I used:

M-D Building Products
All Climate Marine & Automotive EPDM Rubber Weatherseal
5/16" Thick

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Cadiman1983 said:
I just finished putting weatherstripping around the top of the Volant box. Its nice and sealed up now. I'll drive it in the morning and see how it feels/sounds.

I used:

M-D Building Products
All Climate Marine & Automotive EPDM Rubber Weatherseal
5/16" Thick
5/16" sounds kinda thick. Is that the thinnest you could get? Does it compress flat?

·
Banned
156 Posts
Whats up with all the weather stripping on the Volant box. My box bought 2 months ago seems to be sealed tightly with no noise coming from it. Is there a problem with these units as they age a bit?

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's not a problem with aging. It appears from other posts that the problem has come from decreasing material quality from Volant. I just bought my box 2 weeks ago and had the problem. However, I'm not totally convinced that its just a problem with boxes purchased recently.

If you'll look at the design of the box, the lid is plastic and sits on top of a plastic box. This wouldn't be a big problem if there were more screws tightening the lid down. Because the screws are so far apart on the long edges of the box, it seems to me that now matter how hard you tightened the lid, the air pressure inside the box while driving would force air in between the gaps.

In my case, I had a loud vibration in the low-mid RPM range that I initially thought was just a "throatier" sound becuase I had installed a CAI. Once I put down the weatherstripping (I used 5/16" as well) the sound was gone and the car was faster.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stuff I used was designed for automobiles, so it shoudn't dissintegrate anytime soon. I drove it around this morning, sounded a little more refined, small boost in power. I'll take pictures of it once I get back up to Augusta on Tuesday.

And I agree with you johnnybn about the screws, if that had put at least one more in the bottom section where its that farthest between scews, that would have helped immensly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cadiman1983 said:
The stuff I used was designed for automobiles, so it shoudn't dissintegrate anytime soon. I drove it around this morning, sounded a little more refined, small boost in power. I'll take pictures of it once I get back up to Augusta on Tuesday.

And I agree with you johnnybn about the screws, if that had put at least one more in the bottom section where its that farthest between scews, that would have helped immensly.
Did you ever have a chance to take some pics? I am trying to understand exactly how this works. Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Basically, you simply put weatherstriping on the perimeter of the bottom of the lid (or the mounting suface of the box) where the screws go, so the top and the box seal. Sucking air from the small gaps that could be left by a loose fitting lid will leave noticable whistling, and intake of warm underhood air, in extreme cases.

Adding $1 worth of weatherstriping should have been done at the factory, IMHO, but is a simple fix for the DIYer. I'm amazed at the interest on this forum for a seemingly obvious and simple solution. What I want to see, is someone retrofitting a bigger, more efficient air filter in the smallish Volant airbox.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
odysseus said:
Basically, you simply put weatherstriping on the perimeter of the bottom of the lid (or the mounting suface of the box) where the screws go, so the top and the box seal. Sucking air from the small gaps that could be left by a loose fitting lid will leave noticable whistling, and intake of warm underhood air, in extreme cases.

Adding $1 worth of weatherstriping should have been done at the factory, IMHO, but is a simple fix for the DIYer. I'm amazed at the interest on this forum for a seemingly obvious and simple solution. What I want to see, is someone retrofitting a bigger, more efficient air filter in the smallish Volant airbox.
It appears that size does make a difference. The K&N as inefficient as it is on leaking hot air, seems to marginally out perform the Volant. The OEM box is larger than the Volant. What would be ideal and what Ody suggested, is finding the biggest K&N cone filter to fit the OEM gutted box. That would require gutting the box as there is a lot of plastic junk in there.

Ody wants to do it but his other hobbies and Kids keep him pretty busy.. Anybody want to belly up and give this a try? Just what I need , a 4th AirBox!!:helpless:

·
Registered
2003 1SC Diamond White CTS
3,281 Posts
RobertCTS said:
.. Anybody want to belly up and give this a try?
I'll do it if someone wants to ship me a stock air box to mangle and potentially destroy :lildevil: ... I've got time, a little bit of money, but no extra box.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I was going to take some measurements of my stock airbox and the Volant this weekend, then look at the S&B and the K&N universal filter catalogs. Too many projects. I'm thinking the inverted cone filters (inverse cone inside a cone) with the integral velocity stack flange would greatly decrease any flow restrictions. Some have an angled flange for clearance issues.

You'd have to cut out the waffle grid and intake tube from the stock airbox, but the inside is funky shaped for a large cone filter. Even adapting a better filter to the Volant would be a benefit.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
I have an extra box and would gut it but I would like to have some confidence that I had a cone filter that would fit.

In regards to the Weather stripping..5/15" seems to thick IMO. Isn't there something like foam tape which is about 1/8"?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sorry I've been slacking with the pictures, school has kept me busy (I haven't washed my car in a month and a half). 5/16" isn't too thick, it worked great. And foam tape would dissentigrate too quickly for it to be worth it. I'll take pictures as soon as I can get to it.

·
Registered
2003 1SC Diamond White CTS
3,281 Posts
I installed mine a few weeks ago, but forgot to take pictures. I bought 3/16" weatherstripping used for camper toppers on trucks. It's a closed cell, peel and press, self adhesive, gray weatherstrip. I bought mine from Ace hardware for around $6.75 for 30 foot. It's 1.25" wide. Super quick install with a razor knife. I put it around the lid and not the box to make it look cleaner. Just cut through the holes a little bit. It reduced the rattle between the lid and box, but it still sounds angry. I would go take some pictures quick, but I used locktite on the screws to keep them from rattling out. I'd offer to send you the remainder of my weatherstrip, but it would cost nearly as much in shipping as the whole 30' roll. Just suck it up and do it! It's not as hard as you think! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts