Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would appreciate all input about why you think we should buy this car. Would also love to hear any gripes or complaints you have. This really seems like a car my husband will stick with longer than his last three. Just took a test drive in a base STS and seemed quite nice. Other posts have mentioned other cars we have looked at (BMW, Lexus, Audi, Mercedes) in this class but for the money, this seems pretty good.

We have owned cars that have just come out and have had to live with all the 'tweaking' that needs to be done with cars that are new and are not looking for that in this car. I have to still search all the known recall or advisories on the NHTSA site....

I have yet to own a car that is truly perfect so don't worry about mentioning anything. I just like to know what I am getting in for before hand.

Have read some of the posts about the VR for the Onstar and such. Same problem we are going through on our H2. Initial technology on it is poor and the upgrade is costly unless you obligate/pay for 3 years service. Looks like we are getting into this prior to the mandate of digital.

I would be interested in knowing more about the Bluetooth on this car. How is it supposed to work? IF your cell is BT capable, do you fwd your cell to the car?? Any other devices? Can you really enjoy watching a movie on a screen that small?

Any comments are greatly appreciated including $$ you may have paid. Can't get a quote yet as the model we want is not on site. My guess is the 06 is about $55 or so.

Thanks,

The Boone's

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
Re: We are contemplating buying a 05/06 STS-V....

We are pretty happy with our STS4 with the v8. The base 6 is not going to win any races but appears to be reasonable. The dealer has been very good and the extras are pretty nice (onstar, dealer gives you a Cadillac when the car is in for service, ect).
Bluetooth works so that once it is enabled anytime a Bluetooth device is in range it will automatically switch from the phone to the car even if you walk up to the car and get in while on the phone.
VR does suck but the VR for the phone works fine. It is the VR for car related functions that does not work in our case.
The base v6 STS is currently being agressively marketed here in Detroit. Adding options will quickly add to the cost of the car. I think that a nicely equiped v6 luxury package car with a moonroof ($50,000 MSRP) will lease for just a bit over $400 here in Detroit. Start adding in the v8/all wheel drive/luxury performance package and you quickly will end up with a $750/month lease.
One more thing, if you find that you like the car, don't spend too much time reading test reports by the auto mags. They pretty much give the car little respect as they are comparing it to car that typically cost about $20,000 more in the real world (when money is on the line, not just comparing MSRP). When you look at apples to apples the STS more than hold its own. I am a former BMW 5 series owner and can say that that car was no better or worse than my STS but the STS is a heck of a lot more reasonable in terms of cost and insurance cost.

Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Mark,

Appreciate the feedback. I live in Colorado so the AWD is important for sure. I see it adds a good 12k on to the price.

IF the 06 model comes with the improved VR for the car, that would be a plus for sure. This forum has helped open our eyes to a few (negotiable?) items for our wheel and deal with the salesman.

The 8 cyclinder is the only way to go. At altitude every bit helps, that and we are speed junkies.

Much appreciated,

Richard & Maggi

·
Registered
248 Posts

As stated, this person is looking for a AWD V8 STS for around $55K. The STS-V has no AWD option (at least in '06) and a higher MSRP.

Richard and Maggi, I hope you choose an STS. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
'06 STS V8 RWD - Black Raven/Cashmere - no ACC
316 Posts
Richard and Maggi,

I got a 2006 STS.. after trying a 2005, 2006 has a better VR for sure... not much, but it can be noticed...

They reduced the number of commands (not many, 150 to 130 i think)... the reason is to be more accurate...

When I tried 2005's VR, I got lots of "system off".... it's something that turns off AC and Radio/CD, i think.. with my 2006, I have no problems

I'm pretty happy with it... everyday I get out of work, get in, click the "VR" button, and "Windows Down"... lol feels great

It's not perfect, however... you might find some problems getting your command understood from the first try... but i'm sure it will work in the second or third try...

I tried almost all commands.. everything worked

Now for bluetooth... get your phone paired with your car... when you recieve a call, it will appear on your phone and on the car display... you can answer from either... if a call is private, you can click on "private" at the car's screen and it will cancel the handsfree and switch to your phone...

getting out of the car, coming back, it will connect automatically...

what else... PDA phones doesn't work.. dunno why.. I tried Pocket PCs and SonyEricsson P900... other phones work great.. Nokia, Moto, Siemens, other Sony Ericssons...

VR for phone is great... you can voice dial your number... in 2005, there was a problem recognizing number "2"... in 2006 it's fixed, but sometimes I find problems recognizing number 1.. but it does recognize it after more tries..

it also has this wornderful feature... I saved all important contacts and added a voice tag to each one.. it's very easy to call using voice tags..

overall, I rate STS VR 8.5 out of 10... and I'm pretty satisfied with it :)

It's been more than 3 weeks for me with my car... I'm very proud I chose it over all other competitors..

if you have other concerns, please feel free...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow - Thanks to all replies so far! Funny AscariSTS about the number 2. Our H2 has the exact same problem. Must be the same technology in both.... Sounds like the 2006 is the way to go for the VR. I don't want to live with that problem on another car.

So far, I have not seen a lot of info about mechanical issues (lemon problems) which is nice. Nothing is perfect but so far so good. The NHTSA doesn't really turn up anything troubling. Now our former 2000 Volvo XC AWD is another story - that is/was a lemon for sure....You could spend all day reading our probs with it.

Richard and I are finallizing our haggling today it appears.

Thanks to all for your posts!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Let us know what you decide. I couldn't be happier :cheers: with STS V8 with most options except AWD (I live in Florida).

·
Registered
2015 XTS Luxury
162 Posts
Hello R & M,
I just bought a 2006 STS and couldn't be happier with it. I got the V6 AWD with the luxury performance package. I find that it has plenty of power, even with AWD. I think the V8 is just a gas waster. The car as a V6 is much cheaper too. I got mine at $750 under dealer invoice before the rebates from a Chicago area dealer. The AWD option cost me about an extra $1650. AWD does not cost $12 grand.
Hope you get a good price and don't forget about the Cadillac lease and/or finance offers. I got 2.9% for 3 years on a purchase.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade, 2017 CTS V
150 Posts
i live i Colorado also & I can tell you first hand this car is great in the snow with awd. I had no problems with my STS I had it for almost a year now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is good to get a CO opinion. Do you notice the Mtn driving problems as described by others (30mph shifting issues?)

Richard & Maggi

·
Registered
2015i Escalade, 2017 CTS V
150 Posts
I haven't notice that, but I only drove on I-70 to silverthorne and small residential hills in castle rock so far. But it performed quite well and loves the curves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all. We ended up getting an 05 STS with the works and they are throwing in the VR upgrade with it.

So far we are having lots of fun....Just don't like the shut-out on the display for nav functions or phone when the car is in motion. There has to be a hack for this! I don't know if any other car does this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts