Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to think of good spots to mount a camera in the V. Any of you guys done this before? I'm going to the Virginia City Hillclimb next weekend and I'd like to take video.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Hopefully CaliCadi See's this, he has an awesome Camera mount but I forgot who makes it. Mounts to the Passenger Head rest and mounts the camera between the seats.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.
1,576 Posts
The small one works but one end pushes into the seabelt harness part of the seat. I have one but have not used it yet. Camera broke.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
CTS-V
59 Posts
How about installing a small camera for a reverse cam? Anyone done that yet with the dvd screen upfront? Most new cars have them already anyways... Cant be too hard...

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Just search on ebay for headrest lcd mounts. They are very cheap. Clamp to the headrest posts and levered mount for the screen. I think the thread is the same for the lcds as cameras.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,114 Posts
I took the rear headrests out of the car and used velcro to mount my camera to the carpet on the rear deck lid. Worked awesome. :thumbsup:
Velcro??? Holy unrestrained projectile, Batman!! :eek: I don't know what you were using the camera for, but for anyone who's looking to video on track (or at a hillclimb), Velcro isn't going to pass tech inspection with any club that I know of. Every club that I've run with (10 or so over the years) has required metal-on-metal mounting, so something like the Cruisecam mounts would work fine.

The only thing I don't like about the headrest style mounts is that they're too far forward, so you can't really see what the driver is doing. I haven't looked at trying to mount anything in the CTS-V yet, but in my Subaru I built a mount that puts the camera probably about 12-18" behind the headrests of the front seats, right on the centerline of the car. Even in that position I have to use a wide-angle lens on the camcorder to be able to see what I'm doing with my hands. Of course, my little Digital8 is 7 years old, so maybe newer cameras have a better (wider) field of view to alleviate the problem.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Velcro??? Holy unrestrained projectile, Batman!! :eek: I don't know what you were using the camera for, but for anyone who's looking to video on track (or at a hillclimb), Velcro isn't going to pass tech inspection with any club that I know of. Every club that I've run with (10 or so over the years) has required metal-on-metal mounting, so something like the Cruisecam mounts would work fine.

The only thing I don't like about the headrest style mounts is that they're too far forward, so you can't really see what the driver is doing. I haven't looked at trying to mount anything in the CTS-V yet, but in my Subaru I built a mount that puts the camera probably about 12-18" behind the headrests of the front seats, right on the centerline of the car. Even in that position I have to use a wide-angle lens on the camcorder to be able to see what I'm doing with my hands. Of course, my little Digital8 is 7 years old, so maybe newer cameras have a better (wider) field of view to alleviate the problem.
My Panasonic has 16x9 view but somewhere in my editing of an autocross, I converted it to 4x3. I've got video from the MDA VIR HPDE, Grattan and Putnam Park. I'll try to get it right and get it on Google...

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,114 Posts
Hey, has anyone heard of the Cruisecam mount? Their website is something like http://www.cruisecam.com/mounts.html. :p

I'm taking my car to an auto-x tomorrow and plan to get some side-cam footage with my Cone Cam (predecessor to the Chase Cam) and suction cup mount. Should be sweet. :D Here's a pic of the camera on my Subaru at an auto-x out in Hawaii (look behind the rear wheel).

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
Since nobody ever mentioned anything about a similar product from curisecam, I bought this mount. :duck:

However, what exactly has to be done to remove the pass front headrest, so I can use this mount?

The headrest seems to have something retaining it, inside the seat, as the headrest reaches the end of it's travel.

BTW - The rear headrests slide right out, but not the fronts? :hmm:

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Since nobody ever mentioned anything about a similar product from curisecam, I bought this mount. :duck:

However, what exactly has to be done to remove the pass front headrest, so I can use this mount?

The headrest seems to have something retaining it, inside the seat, as the headrest reaches the end of it's travel.

BTW - The rear headrests slide right out, but not the fronts? :hmm:

Any suggestions?
In my '04 they slide right out. When you get them almost out, wiggle therm around. Too bad all things can't be like that...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts