Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased my STS and it is my first "nice" car. You guys seem to have great knowledge of 'lacs so I was wondering what I should do to my car now, as far as oil change, coolant, etc. Any preventive maintenance that should be done. Also I read the maintenance schedule, which was great, but any other general info you guys can think of would be alot of help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I dunno but please above all else a special note TAKE CARE OF THAT PAINT!!! American car paint is soooo soft and susceptible to external conditions and fallout. Wax it regularly and keep it free from bird droppings and other acidic substances. I would rather drive an STS that looks drop dead gorgeous and might have a few little mechanical quibbles than one that has severe oxidation (like my old 96 Conti) and paint problems or rust.

That was my pointless tidbit for the day. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Playdrv4me said:
I dunno but please above all else a special note TAKE CARE OF THAT PAINT!!! American car paint is soooo soft and susceptible to external conditions and fallout. Wax it regularly and keep it free from bird droppings and other acidic substances. I would rather drive an STS that looks drop dead gorgeous and might have a few little mechanical quibbles than one that has severe oxidation (like my old 96 Conti) and paint problems or rust.

That was my pointless tidbit for the day. Thank you.
Too late. I had it washed the other day. STUPID! I had it brushed washed and either the brushes or when they drove it through the wash they scratched my passenger side mirror, which isn't too bad, but it looks like hell to me. It's my baby. Yeah I will try to keep the rest looking beautiful.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
No biggie, I scraped mine against the damn ATM one of the first days I had it, It gave me a perspective of just how huge those STS mirrors are. Surprisingly it didnt leave a mark or I couldnt seeit cause it was black. Just as long as it wasnt too deep for deterioation of the paint to start.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Fresh coolant is critical to the Northstar engine!

It must be changed every two years or the depleted silicates will have a disastrous effect on this engine. Primarily sealing the head gasket. Repairing the head gaskets is a real pain.

If you do not know positively that the coolant has been changed within the last two years, change it!

The 93’ needs to use the green type of coolant. Trying to use the newer orange type Dex Cool is not recommended. While each coolant in itself is fine, these two coolants, when mixed, will cancel out the corrosion protective ingredients. Stay with the green and do your best to keep it a 50/50 mix. You will only need about 1 ½ gallons of pure coolant to do the job. It is usually considered best to pre-mix the coolant to get it right.

You must also add two containers of Bars Leak Gold radiator sealer, do not use the aluminum powder type. It must be added to the lower radiator hose not the surge tank. Simply unscrew the clamp at the water pump, allow coolant to drain than add the sealant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
growe3 said:
Fresh coolant is critical to the Northstar engine!

It must be changed every two years or the depleted silicates will have a disastrous effect on this engine. Primarily sealing the head gasket. Repairing the head gaskets is a real pain.

If you do not know positively that the coolant has been changed within the last two years, change it!

The 93’ needs to use the green type of coolant. Trying to use the newer orange type Dex Cool is not recommended. While each coolant in itself is fine, these two coolants, when mixed, will cancel out the corrosion protective ingredients. Stay with the green and do your best to keep it a 50/50 mix. You will only need about 1 ½ gallons of pure coolant to do the job. It is usually considered best to pre-mix the coolant to get it right.

You must also add two containers of Bars Leak Gold radiator sealer, do not use the aluminum powder type. It must be added to the lower radiator hose not the surge tank. Simply unscrew the clamp at the water pump, allow coolant to drain than add the sealant.
Thanx I will be doing that tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
iceberg414