Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a million topics on what to use, and how to use it... but I have a very simple question.

Does anyone else find this car incredibly frustrating to wax???

Maybe it's just me, but I've tried many different types of wax, from cheap to expensive... and I just cant find one that is easily removable.

I find the hood to be the absolute worst.
It seriously takes me about 30-45 minutes alone just to get it all off the hood.
The roof is pretty easy, doors are alright, and the trunk is also a bitch.

I don't know if "streaky" is the right word.. but it always seems to leave a greasy/cloudy look (again, especially on the hood) that takes a serious amount of time to get off... some areas, I just give up on... and after a few days, I can no longer notice it.

This is the first black vehicle I've had, and I've never had a problem with any of my other vehicles... waxing was a breeze...

Also, I notice that the feel of the paint is not smooth in the least, even after a wax, especially on the hood/roof. I've considered a clay bar, but I don't think that would help. It almost feels as if it doesn't have a clear coat on it. Aside from the plastic bumper, the rest of the car seems to have a "bare metal" feel to it.

It shines up pretty nicely, which shows that it obviously has a clear coat, but the feel is horrible.
Every other car I've waxed feels smooth as hell afterwards.... not this thing though.

Am I doing something wrong here?? :cookoo: :banghead:

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior
998 Posts
What year CTS?

If you have an older 03' that has been in a winter climate the paint could have had 4 yrs or more of salt damage. I have an 04 silver smoke and I use this Armor All Wax it Dry (really cheap stuff). It makes my paint shine up really well. Its the kind of stuff that makes rags slide off the hood. And the paint feels really "soft." I try and put a coat on after every wash.

I hope this helps you and your ride.

·
Registered
CTS
73 Posts
ohh man, i know exactly what you mean!

im never happy with how the hood turns out. i get that same sort of look. At first i thought that i pushing the buffer against it too hard so i decided to wax by hand the next time but it turned out the same.

the trunk was sort of hard too but it usually turns out okay.

as for the feel, i dont know, my car feels really smooth, if i throw a cloth at it, it just glides over the car as if it were a air hockey table.

i use meguiras gold class wax.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
29 Posts
I bought a black 03' CTS three months ago, and I haved waxed it three times with Meguires. I also have the same problem. I see a strange glare and the paint does feel less smooth than my other veichles. I live in a cold weather winter state, and the car was in this state from the previous owner. So, is there no way to fix it? Would having the paint "diamind glossed"(Zeibart) fix it?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year CTS?

If you have an older 03' that has been in a winter climate the paint could have had 4 yrs or more of salt damage. I have an 04 silver smoke and I use this Armor All Wax it Dry (really cheap stuff). It makes my paint shine up really well. Its the kind of stuff that makes rags slide off the hood. And the paint feels really "soft." I try and put a coat on after every wash.

I hope this helps you and your ride.

it is an 03, yeah..
The winters here aren't really that bad... but I suppose it could definitely a contributing cause. I just can't help but compare it to my '95 blazer.. I drove that thing year round, with no garage, and it was smoooooooooooth after a nice wax. It was silver though, and much easier to keep clean. Next time I'm out and about, I'll pick up some of that armor all. Wouldn't hurt to try! :highfive:

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad I'm not the only one with issues waxing the hood...
I do NOT look forward to doing it, and I always leave it until last... :crying2:

After a good wax, it's glossy enough to slide a rag off... but when you touch it with your hand, it just doesn't have that comfortable, smooth feeling... :noidea:

I've been wondering about that Nufinish stuff too... everytime I'm buying a new product, I contemplate picking some of that stuff up... Do you use the paste or the liquid wax, fishman?

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Roberto.....you beat me to the punch!

Bobs right...strip all of the old wax and polish that is on the car. Use Dawn dishwash detergent and wash her a few times real well until there is not a bit of polish or wax left on the car.

Secondly; invest in some quality automotive car wash, paint and clear coat cleaner, car polish and paint sealant.

Two great manufacturers of these products are Adams and Zaino.

Zaino's automotive polish for dark colored finishes cannot be beat.

You'll need to strip the old build up with Dawn and use the Zaino products accordingly.

The important thing to avoid haze build up and swirling in the final finish is to make sure that when you apply a coat of polish.....you allow it to cure before applying a second or third coat etc.

READ THE APPLICATION DIRECTIONS from Zaino BEFORE applying the products. Failure to do so and applying 3 or 4 coats of automotive polish in one afternoon with out using an "accelerator" will cause the hazing and swirl marks that your experiencing.

Once again, go to the Zaino website and preview their products. They have an excellent FAQ section and very helpful tech line that you can call for specific product recommendations based on your specific problem that you are incurring.

http://www.zainostore.com/

Good Luck to you:

·
Registered
07 CTS. black,18" STS polished rims, V grill
50 Posts
If you want to get a very nice finish and relatively easy to do (but won't last as long as Zaino) you can use zymol (from Target or any other auto store),or Maguires wax. Have two terry cloth towels to work with. Work a 2' x 2' or 3' section at a time. Once you put it wipe it off immediately with one of the towels (I use the smaller kitchen sized towels because they are easier to use). Once you quickly wipe the "wet" (do not allow it dry) then you come back with the other cleaner towel and "buff" to a shine.

At this point you will have lots of streaks and an uneven look. Don't worry about it because there is a final step that will even every thing out. Complete the car doing section by section. Once your done, get another two clean towels and you will now be using the Maguires quick detailer spray to go over the whole car again. I spray (don't need to cover every square inch) half the hood at a time and quickly use the first towel to wipe off the spray and then use the second towel to buff to a gloss. This evens out all of the wax and is basically giving it a spit shine. Do section by section. I have a black 07 (with Roberts 04 hood!) and I can get this process complete within a half hour. Do not allow your towels to fall on the ground or put them on a dirty surface.

If you car already has lots of swirls in it, you might want to get it professionally glazed. Never ever take a black or dark colored car through a car wash.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Strip old wax with dawn, claybar, and lots of Zaino. Best stuff I've ever used. Never had any problems with the hood, even when I was using Meguiers.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
12 Posts
Read this link, it even has an example of a black bmw hood before and after. Wax is just a protectant, you also need a good polish that renews the finish, this link will explain it all better than I can. I just did this yesterday and had no problem, but it takes a few hours but it is well worth the time. Good luck as black is the hardest color to get looking good.
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/post/15512.aspx

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
So that's where my louvered hood ended up!!:(

The Clay bar process will work wonders for romoving the embedded particles that a cleaner or wash can't touch. Do it right and you will be amazed guys!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Will buffing with a professional buffer do the same thing as a clay bar? I have a nice makita and used light scratch remover then swirl mark remover / polish. Looks nice but I want to zaino one of these days and not sure if clay bar will be neccesery if i use my buffer.

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
No, using an orbital or random buffer will not remove the embedded particles in the clear coat that Bob is referring to. Using a spray lubricant and a clay bar removes the embedded particles that settle into the paints clear coat that become become initially deposited then embeddend into the clear coat from acid rain and environmental fall out.

I've had some success in using Zymol's HD Paint Cleanser with an oribital to prep the clear coat before polishing, but ultimately the "old school" method of "claying" the clear coat before applying an automotive polish and finish wax produces a finish that is literally "glass like" and second to none.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
584 Posts
I second (or third) the use of a clay bar to remove embedded contaminants. After washing your car, put your finger inside a plastic baggie and slowly drag it across your finish - most likely it will feel like sandpaper. You can get a clay bar kit in almost any auto parts store and most large discount stores. Spray a panel with the supplied spray, slowly work the clay with little or no pressure until smooth. If you are looking for an inexpensive over the counter fix try the Meguiar's 3-step deep crystal system. First is a chemical cleaner, second a glaze, and third is a wax.

Usually if you have a hard time removing wax from a car your finish is dirty (oxidized, contaminated, etc) or you are using too much product. You should be able to do your entire car with about 1 or 2 ounces of wax. For more advice see the forums over at http://www.autopia.net

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
417 Posts
Hi, I'm new here. Just got my '03 CTS with 48,000 km on it.
Gave mine its first coat of was this weekend. I can't believe noone here has mentioned liquid glass. It is simply the absolute best product i've ever used. I have had many classic cars, currently a 65 mustang, and around the classic car circle many use liquid glass. You can't get it in just any store but it can be ordered online or through NAPA stores.

This stuff goes on easy, and comes off the easiest I've ever seen. NO hard rubbing. my 5 year old son helped me and no joke he can get excellent results with this stuff.

They actually recommend useing multiple layers after it cures. The more layers the shinier and more mirror like it gets. And smoooooooooth. I have tried everything under the sun and last year I found Liquid Glass and have not touched anything since.

I'll use it on any and all hard smooth surfaces and it works great. No streaks, no pain, no rushing to take off before it hardens too much. They also recommend to apply it "in the sun". It breaks most rules of application and the results are stellar.

Anyone else use it?

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
742 Posts
Wash it with a detergent like Dawn to remove all the wax and silicone. Clay bar it to remove imbedded particles. Wax it with Zaino.:)
:yeah:

Just what robert said: I've had my 03 black cts since january, went through all the steps, washed with Dawn, clay bar, zaino swirl remover with porter-cable buffer, then zaino z5 & z2. Basically took me a whole weekend, but it was worth it turned out awesome and now when I wash it I just spray it down with the zaino z6 finishing spray and it stays looking great. I plan to do this process 1 more time before winter, seems like twice year should keep it looking great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts