Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac STS
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i never waxed a car befor i figer i shood give her a good wash down which iv done. next i ges i shood put the wax on any sugestions of whut kind and whut to do and whut not 2 do like whair 2 put it and not 2 put it. and the kinda u would sugest i bought Meguiar's (THE GOLD CLASS) from canadaintire. whair shood i use it can i sue it on the plastic bumbers and side panales? thanx very much your help is apreshated thens so much.

·
Registered
2007 SRX
347 Posts
Not going to hurt anything as long as there is no power polishers involved.

As my father used to tell me............if all else fails read the instructions.

Where in Canada are you?...........Montreal?

·
Registered
2010 Black Cherry CTS AWD
263 Posts
O.K., this is going to be a lengthy post. I have used alot of cleaners, waxes, and polishes since I detail cars. For the wax, I like to do a couple of "base" coats with "Zymol" wax. It's blue canuba wax which you should be able to buy at a local auto store, it runs for about $13 a bottle. After that, do several coats of "NuFinish". That's a polymer wax which is in an orange bottle with a white screw on top. The best thing to do with these or with any wax, when it's winter and you know you won't be using them, store them standing up so the waxes settle and the water rises. When this happens, pour the water out of the bottle, repeat this several times through out the winter and you'll end up with the pure wax.
After I have a good amount of wax on the car, I use "Eagle One Wax As You Dry". This is a liquid spray on wax which works great. Do the same trick with this as the other waxes. You can use either the Eagle One or you can use the "Mother's" spray on wax which is the equivilent of the Eagle One.
I would suggest not using wax on the windows because if you put too much, it will make a hideous blur and it'll be a pain to get it off. For the windows, use "Stoners" glass cleaner, it's a black aerosal spray can with a yellow top. Use this to clean them but use "Rain-X" spray, yellow bottle, black spray trigger handle, (not the little bottle, it's harder to take off the window when removing) to protect the windows.
As far as the tires go, I like the "Armor-All" extreme shine which comes in an aerosal can. This is a red and black can with a precision black trigger sprayer.
If you have any other questions about any of the other stuff, feel free to ask and I'll give you my opinions on what I feel is the best to use. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,497 Posts
I have used Armorall wax in the past, but recently i havent been able to find it. It used to be at Kmart or Walmart.

I put one coat of this on my old blazer and i didnt have to wash it for a year. Everytime it rained everything just fell off. I never seen any wax like it before. The smooth shiny finish lasted about a year. Turtle wax doesnt even come close. Its even easier to put on and take off. If you can find it give it a try.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
:cool2:
Maticulous has some good points.

The idea of a base of wax is a good one. I personally try to get 3 or 4 good coats of either A) Meguiars Professional Hi-tech yellow wax #26 on, or B) Meguiars Deep Crystal System Carnauba wax Step #3.

3 or 4 coats of either of those is a good base. I do NOT use steps 1 or 2 of the 3 step system. Those have abrasives. Unless the finish is really bad, you don't need that.

After you have a good base, and the car is glassy-slippery-smooth to the touch, then every time you wash it, or whenever you want, you can do Meguiars Quick Wax, which is a really easy spray on- wipe off type product. With enough wax on the car, you barely ever have to wash it, unless it's really dirty. Winter driving would be an exception to that, obviously. My ETC does not go out in the snow & salt.

I do not wax windows, personally. I have a power buffer, but I view that as a last resort.

Another tip: if you have bad bugs on the front of the car, I have used Harley-Davidson Spray Cleaner & Wax with great success. This comes in an aerosol can. Does a nice job of cleaning. It's like $6 a can, but worth it.

Another great product I buy at Harley Dealers is S100 Wheel cleaner. Very nice product. If it'll clean the wire wheels on a bike, it'll clean car wheels. As always, test a spot first.....

If you're going to a car show, or want an unbelievable finish, you can also try Harley Glaze. This wipes on & off like wax. Unreal gloss. Looks like wet paint. $6 for a small bottle, kinda expensive. Also, it does not hold up well for very long. NOT a substitute for actual wax. But, for the morning of a car show, it might be worth it....

Also, if you are not using Micro-fiber cloths for wiping, stop right now and go buy some. They are great.

This might sound a little excessive, but if you're going to drive a dream machine, you should really hit the road in full splendor..... I am often asked "Is that new??" Nope, it's a 97, and the Harley is a 96.... you CAN keep them looking like new, with a little effort.

Good luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Patrick7997 said:
Also, if you are not using Micro-fiber cloths for wiping, stop right now and go buy some. They are great.

Good luck!
Aww, that was a damn good point, I forgot about that. I buy mine at Sams club by huge packs of 18 for $8. Also, the Stoners that I mentioned before also works good on the wheels, especially chrome. I like to use Blue Magic chreome polish on my chrome, just be careful how hard you put it on or you will leave swirles that'll be a biatch to get rid of. The more I think of, I'll spout it out.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
It's best to wax after a thorough wash and dry with a mild dish detergent and warm water solution followed by a towel dry. The best wax I've found is Zymol Cleaner Wax. It's highly rated and reviewed many times with excellent results. Read about it here:

http://www.zymol.com/onestp2.htm

Cheese cloth works better than anything I've tried to remove wax. The trick is to use a slightly damp rag or sponge to put the wax on, and don't overdo it. A little goes a long way. The more you put on, the more you have to take off again, and that's time consuming and difficult work. Don't do it in the sun or while the surfaces are hot. Circular motions to apply it and circular motions to buff it back off, and flip the cheese cloth frequently for best results. Shake it out every once in a while to get the residual dust out so it doesn't leave swirl marks. You'll have the shiniest and best protected car on the block.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mccowdens right about not doing it in the sun. That applies for the Zymol but with the NuFinsh, that can actually be done in the sun. It goes on easy and comes off easy. Sorry about the vagueness last night, I'm thinking about "tell him what to use", not what to do also. I'm glad that others chimed in. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions about what todo or use. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been using McQuire's new synthetic wax lately, and it looks great and lasts quite a while as well as being easy to use. Just make sure the car's surface is clean because little specks of dirt, etc. can make swirls or even worse scratches. I use McQuire's tire shine on my tires. That seems to work really well and lasts (which most tire shines don't). I've been detailing my own cars for many years, and the McQuire's products are as good as they come. I am really pleased with the synthetic wax. It is a little more expensive, but well worth it! I try to put a good coat of wax on before summer and before winter. Hope this helps ... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
367 Posts
mcowden said:
It's best to wax after a thorough wash and dry with a mild dish detergent and warm water solution followed by a towel dry.
I would strongly discourge using dish detergent to wash your car with. Dish detergent is made to strip grease and will mess up a clear coat (I speak from experience). I was told this by my buddy who owns a paint & body shop. Only use products made specifically for washing cars.

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
Most dish detergents will remove most waxes. They are generally not recommended for cars, or Dawn would sell Car Wash at a ridiculously inflated price.

Everybody has their own favorite off-the-shelf or 'boutique' car wash/polish/wax products, just visit some of the detailing boards to watch the fur fly.

I like the Klasse twins, All-in-One as a polish and cleaner after a wash and clay, and Super Glaze as a wax. They do this:

and this:

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
King3244 said:
Indentification quiz............Eldo trunk and Deville hood??

Solid wax job my man!!!

King
Actually they're both the Eldo. Trunk and roof.

Oh, and sorry if the pix are huge on anyone's monitor - they're 1024x768...I sometimes forget that not everyone has a 19" LCD or larger..

·
Registered
2013 3.6L ATS
75 Posts
The pics look great but all those processes and stuff depress me. It makes me just want to go to a detail shop and drop a whole bunch of dimes. I am a full time student and I work 5 days a week(including saturday). I have a hard time finding enough time to do a 2 hour cleaning of my car. Nonetheless a day long wax job.

I do wish my car shined like that.

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
No big deal but....

I seriously doubt that Club Car would have any experience with clay when pertaining to automotive finish deatail.

A simple wash with a mild detergent (not dish soap) should be enough to remove most road film and dirt. The more stubborn stains will require some hand work to remove. I will not go into that sort of detail.

Any wax containing Carnuba is one which will protect for the longest period of time. Although it may not keep the luster it did when it was first applied, it will continue to protect much longer than any polymer or spray glaze.

Carnuba wax can be stubborn to remove if not applied evenly. Never apply ANYTHING to the automive paint finish under the direct sun, including tap water. If it dries before you can wipe it, the finish is too hot to work with.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Pjs said:
I would strongly discourge using dish detergent to wash your car with. Dish detergent is made to strip grease and will mess up a clear coat (I speak from experience). I was told this by my buddy who owns a paint & body shop. Only use products made specifically for washing cars.
That's interesting about the dish detergent, I've never heard that before. I've used it for a long time without any problems, and my dad owns a body shop and he's never said anything either. Maybe we just haven't been using it long enough to see a problem. I dunno. Another suggestion I've heard is laundry detergent. It's not so oriented toward stripping oils, so maybe it's less harsh. I only shy away from car wash detergents because they seem to be overpriced, watered down, and they haven't worked very well for me. Then again, I have a lot of bugs and road tar to remove usually. Maybe they just don't work well for that kind of stuff. I thought clearcoat would protect against something like dish soap without a problem since it holds up to all the road stuff pretty well...

Edit: I won't use dish detergent any more because of PJS's comments and this article I just found:

http://www.autoswalk.com/howtopropwas.html

·
Registered
112 Posts
mcowden said:
That's interesting about the dish detergent, I've never heard that before. I've used it for a long time without any problems, and my dad owns a body shop and he's never said anything either. Maybe we just haven't been using it long enough to see a problem. I dunno. Another suggestion I've heard is laundry detergent. It's not so oriented toward stripping oils, so maybe it's less harsh. I only shy away from car wash detergents because they seem to be overpriced, watered down, and they haven't worked very well for me. Then again, I have a lot of bugs and road tar to remove usually. Maybe they just don't work well for that kind of stuff. I thought clearcoat would protect against something like dish soap without a problem since it holds up to all the road stuff pretty well...

Edit: I won't use dish detergent any more because of PJS's comments and this article I just found:

http://www.autoswalk.com/howtopropwas.html

Just my 2 cents. Dish soap works great as a tire shine, just put it on straight from the bottle with a sponge or rag, lemon joy works great. It cleans as you drive in the rain also. And Crisco is great to dissolve road tar specks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
91TexasSeville said:
Any wax containing Carnuba is one which will protect for the longest period of time. Although it may not keep the luster it did when it was first applied, it will continue to protect much longer than any polymer or spray glaze.
I only suggested the polmer and the spray wax after the good base coat of Zymol is already on which contains... carnauba wax not carnuba wax. :D Doing the spray wax and the polmers bring out the shine and the richness of the paint.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts