Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had a problem with spots on their windows that won't go away. They look like waterspots and they're only on one side of my car. At first I thought it was my window tint or something but you can tell it's on the outside and won't come off with glass cleaner. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2005 CTS
162 Posts
Taken from "Yahoo Answers":

The water spots are usually caused by hard water. We have very hard water where I live so I have come up with something that works well.

Mix 4 cups of white vinegar, a 1/2 cup of ammonia, and a couple of drops of dish soap in about a gallon off warm water.

Pre-wash the windows with a garden hose to remove any grit that could scratch the glass then use a small towel or rag, an old tee-shirt works well, and wipe the whole window with the cleaning solution you made. Let this sit for about 30 seconds to a minute (don't let it start to dry), re-wet the rag in cleaner and scrub the window from top to bottom, rinse the window thoroughly with the garden hose then use a squeegee to dry the window before it start to air dry.

Repeat if necessary or try straight vinegar for stubborn spots.

I recommend rubber gloves to protect your hands, the cleaning solution is pretty strong, and is likely to irritate your skin.

Good luck!

·
Registered
Cadillac
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if it's just hard water or not, because I can't figure out why it would only be on one side of my car. I'll definitely give it a shot though, thanks ghost.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
probably on the one side only cause you probably have hard water and dry that side of the car last...then again, it may be on the other side as well, but you cant tell cause maybe the sun is hitting your car just to show that it is on the one paticular side...but i am with blakghost on this one, it is definitely water spots from hard water

·
Registered
2005 CTS
162 Posts
No problem. I had a problem like this last summer. I was parked at my daughters school one morning when their lawn sprinklers came on. My passenger side (doors, windows, rims) got a little wet. I thought nothing of it, but when I went to my car for lunch that day, there were these transparent whites spots where it had gotten wet. I took a rag out of my trunk and tried to clean it all off with no luck. I washed it that evening, but the spots still did not come off. I guess my neighbor saw me frustrated cause he suggested a mild vinegar solution kinda like what I found on yahoo. Seems the sprinklers have some kind of nutrient-rich compound in-line with the water flow to nourish the lawn. Same effect as hard water. It dried in the hot AZ sun and just would not come off until I tried the vinegar, even with windex. The vinegar solution should work, if that's what the problem is. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts