Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 eldorado
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of replacing the water pump on my 83 Eldorado (4.1 ltr) and everything has gone relatively smooth but I have come across a pulley below the smog pump that is blocking the two lower left bolts on the pump. I cannot figure out what tool I need to get the pulley off to finish removing the pump. It looks like it is threaded inside the pulley shaft but I tried my pulley puller and it would not line up, is there a specific puller needed for this?

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Not familiar with the Eldo set-up. Can you tell us what that pulley is on? On mine the AC pump is below the air pump. If it's your AC pump, it's easier to remove the pump mounting bolts, and swing it out of the way.

On GM power steering pumps there is a groove in the pulley hub for pulling the pulley off. Does it have a groove ?? Or would you be looking at the crank pulley ??

hope this helps.......

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
If I read your post correctly, you are referring to the crankshaft pulley. That has 4? bolts inside the pulley you simply remove with a deep well socket and the pulley falls off the front crank flange. If you mean drivers side, then you are referring to the power steering pulley. That requires a special narrow jaw puller that grips the snout of the pulley where the machined in groove is. That can be rented, I believe, from most parts houses. Using the wrong puller will bend this pulley quite easily. Comes off easily using an air ratchet and the proper puller.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
I worked on one of those cars some years back, and I just remembered having to remove the PS pump pulley. You will need the puller and the installation tool also.
I just used those on my Chevy pick-up. The PS pump had to be removed to get the left exhaust manifold off. Another dumb GM arrangement.

·
Registered
83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours
469 Posts
Ran into the same problem on my 83 Eldo. The air pump bracket broke and the mounting bolts were behind the power steering pully. I just bought the puller set, worked sweet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts