Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I'm working on changing the water pump (and all which that entails) on a 2008 DTS. I'm ready to begin reassembly but want to hear it from the folks "in the know"...folks in the forums tend to have knowledge in spades.

On the water pump itself, as it slides into the housing & is secured by 5 bolts...and on the thermostat housing... do either of these need any kind of sealant spread around their mating surfaces? Or do they simply bolt together & rely on the o-rings?

Over the years I've seen things go both ways, and I've seen factory service manuals & technical service bulletins fly in the face of conventional wisdom.

I've spent just shy of an hour researching this online & haven't found any mention of sealant being used...but I'd still rather trust the forum over my own internet searching capability.

Thanks in advance folks,

Ron near Dallas

·
Registered
2002 Deville and 2009 DTS
588 Posts
I have never used sealant when changing water pump or T-stats on Caddy's.
But these were on 1998 and 2002 Caddy's. I see the 2009 requires you to remove the crossover to remove the water pump.
When you take the crossover off, you replace the crossover gaskets don't you? I wouldn't use sealant spread on these.

The last time I used a sealant was probably 1990 or so.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,020 Posts
The water pump cover O-ring and the steel thermostat housing are not designed to need sealants. The large O-ring goes in wet with raw coolant; so does the black rubber seal around the thermostat flange.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sincere thanks to you both. I appreciate the quick response.

I was shocked at how much easier it was to fit the crossover assembly back into place. It was a real chore getting it out, but going back in... even with the water port gaskets dangling from the bolts... it was in place in under a minute. I may have gotten lucky. :)

Thank you again Rob & Sub409. I knew reaching out would be the right thing to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still crackin' away at this monster. Impressed with the quality of the connectors and other OEM parts which are all ~12 years old... surviving the Texas heat and all...

I can't find the torque specs for the thermostat cover... may be called the thermostat housing, although the meat of the t-stat is inside the water pump cover. I found specs for that, but I'd prefer something other than the old German method of "goodin-tite" for the cover securing the t-stat in place. (Well, it sounds German to me. Actual German engineers would be heartsick to hear such a thing attributed to them) ;-)

Anyway... anyone have the torque specs for that t-stat? Thanks, again, in advance.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,020 Posts
Phooey - my 2002 service manual info is no good for your 2008. Someone else will have to chime in with the correct specs.

I deleted my probably incorrect info.

If your engine still has a black steel thermostat retainer/housing those 2 bolts go to 89 lb/in - about 7.5 lb/ft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is black, and it does literally retain the t-stat into the water pump cover.

That number feels right... if nothing else I'll stick with 89 in lbs.

Appreciate the super fast reply! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FSM says tighten thermostat housing bolts to 10 Nm (89 lb in).
GOOD Deal...Sincere Thanks, again.

I don't mind saying, after working on this car for awhile now, I can appreciate the appeal...it's well built. I definitely bit off more than I like to chew, but we fired it up tonight and (once primed) it fired right up, as if it hadn't been on the operating table for two weeks. Only hiccup is the temp gauge never moved, which means I must be human after all. I'd be scared if I'd done everything right the first time! ;-)

I really appreciate you two responding so quickly. Made a somewhat nerve-wracking experience go a little smoother. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.