Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of a few water pump replacements at perhaps earlier than expected mileage. What kind of lifespan is typical for our water pumps? Does the 2009 model still have the auxiliary electric pump? Typically my approach to maintenance for something like a water pump is to replace it as preventative maintenance somewhere around the halfway point of the engine's expected lifespan as it is typically inexpensive, not that hard to do, and far less annoying as scheduled maintenance than as a roadside emergency on a long trip. Thoughts?

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
'08 & '09 have the auxiliary pump.

Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
Been watching this board for many years and don't recall hearing of a water-pump failure. The replacements were due to leakage or timing chain replacement. I just pulled mine for timing chains and replaced it. 136k miles and it looked to still be in great condition and had no leaks. FYI the AC Delco OEM replacement I bought had a paper gasket. I would buy a good quality metal and rubber gasket if you decide to replace it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Been watching this board for many years and don't recall hearing of a water-pump failure. The replacements were due to leakage or timing chain replacement. I just pulled mine for timing chains and replaced it. 136k miles and it looked to still be in great condition and had no leaks. FYI the AC Delco OEM replacement I bought had a paper gasket. I would buy a good quality metal and rubber gasket if you decide to replace it.
Leaking is not a failure?

Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (99k miles)
I replaced my water pump yesterday, at 7 years and 90k miles. I am not sure if the pump itself failed also, but the dealer said that the thermostat pipe O ring was leaking and the cap was not sealing properly.

They replaced the water pump, the seal, the cap, and refilled the coolant.

They charged $330 for all the parts and $760 for the labor. GM footed the bill, so they said it actually was a discounted price. Would of cost me about $1500 if paying out of pocket.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I replaced my water pump yesterday, at 7 years and 90k miles. I am not sure if the pump itself failed also, but the dealer said that the thermostat pipe O ring was leaking and the cap was not sealing properly.

They replaced the water pump, the seal, the cap, and refilled the coolant.

They charged $330 for all the parts and $760 for the labor. GM footed the bill, so they said it actually was a discounted price. Would of cost me about $1500 if paying out of pocket.
Yikes! Good thing you didn't have to pay. DIY that would be $200 in parts (even OEM) and less than 2 hours of your labor, at least for the water pump. I guess the dealer has to earn a profit, but that is a lot.

The thermostat pipe O-ring could be a PITA, and I guess if I'm considering preventative maintenance that O-ring is a well-known issue. Probably should source a good Viton or silicon O-ring to replace it. And now that you mention it, I saw a coolant-colored drip on the transmission last time I changed the oil, but when I checked the coolant it wasn't low. So I could easily be right on the verge of the O-ring problem.

Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (99k miles)
Yikes! Good thing you didn't have to pay. DIY that would be $200 in parts (even OEM) and less than 2 hours of your labor, at least for the water pump.
Yeah the invoice said 4 hours of labor so I guess they charge $200 an hour.

Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
and they wonder why people don't take things to dealers to get fixed... That is highway robbery.. Especially when you figure out how much they pay that mechanic and how much they pay for those parts... About 60%-70% of that goes to the dealer...

They buy the parts from GM for about 40% of the price they charge and they pay the mechanic about $60 an hour when you include benefits...

Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
most of the dealers are all corporations They pay the help zip and charge the customer way too much. Look at the price of a new car.

Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
Capitalism 101.

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
And a Shoptrac hour is 50 minutes.

The only car I have that goes to the dealer is my Jeep Grand Cherokee tow car and that is only because I have a Chrysler Lifetime (2099 or 999,999 miles) warrantee. Bought the Jeep new because no-one wanted an SUV in early 2012 and got so many rebates that it was the same price as a year old one. And had the tow package.

Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
that warranty should last you. I had ten years on my Thunderbird and never used it. car now just has 66,000 miles.

Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
Sounds as expensive as in Denmark. Not good for Cadillac in USA.

At the Toyota dealer I pay 70 usd for an hour and they are really efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
Personally do not go to dealers since can handle almost anything and if a car stays in a bay for a month or two, no big. Besides I do not trust anyone else.

Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
I have only two cars and they run 24/7. When I buy a car I pay for three cars, so an extra car so I can do repairs myself means I have to pay taxes of 9 cars. No way.

When my Toyota required engine change it took 3 days and got a free car meanwhile. If I do service I deliver 0800, get a ride to work with the mechanic and car is picked up 1530 same day. Can't be easier. But if you have the time and interest I understand you want to fix yourself.

When I had Volvos the service was as poor as the Cadillac service you describe.

Registered
2010 CTS AWD Performance and 2015 SRX Luxury
I have only two cars and they run 24/7. When I buy a car I pay for three cars, so an extra car so I can do repairs myself means I have to pay taxes of 9 cars. No way.

When my Toyota required engine change it took 3 days and got a free car meanwhile. If I do service I deliver 0800, get a ride to work with the mechanic and car is picked up 1530 same day. Can't be easier. But if you have the time and interest I understand you want to fix yourself.

When I had Volvos the service was as poor as the Cadillac service you describe.

Pay taxes on 9 cars?? Please elaborate... what kind of crap are the Dutch trying to pull over there

Registered
2011 CTS Sport Wagon
My water pump started leaking at 49k, was an intermittent leak at first gradually got worse and worse and I replaced it a few thousand miles later. I don't think it was the gasket since it was leaking from behind the pulley.

When I had the problem, I got on here and searched and found it was very common problem to start leaking early.

I have a 2011, no auxillary pump. Cost me $130 for the OEM part and replaced it myself. The OEM part was the only one I saw that came with the gasket and new bolts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts