Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for #3--#2 lasted about 20,000 miles. That was an OEM replacement.

Last time I did this, Darkman sent me an excerpt from the shop manual. I can't find that. Anyone have that an can post or send it?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator 2005 CTS-V
7,752 Posts
How/why are they failing? Doesn't seem to me that LS water pumps are an issue - very few posts over the years about anyone having problems. So it seems unusual that you've had a couple fail, and with not much mileage.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forget how the last one failed. The most recent failure is leakage from the pulley shaft. Because the thing is just flopping all over. I"ll measure it when I get if off the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ayyy join the club. Mine just started leaking. Thinking of just hitting it with some Flex Seal (Jk). What is a good part for the pump and thermostat? Going to bang this and my balancer out at the same time.

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
The water pump is part number 12681186, the gasket part number is 12559271, the thermostat part number is 12581595. and the thermostat housing is part number 12581594. The thermostat housing has an integrated 0-ring seal and is supposed to be replaced with the thermostat change.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you darkman, however, I've heard the stock pumps have a bit too high of a failure rate from other threads than this. Correct me if I'm wrong. So I was wondering if there is another manufacturer that is around the same price but better build quality.

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
Based on my exposure to the posts on this and other LS engine-related forums, I believe that GM's OEM water pumps are generally considered reliable. This is also evidenced by the lack of aftermarket alternatives. Edelbrock does offer a racing unit, but it cannot be used with stock-type intake manifolds; and, there are some electric pump alternatives for those wanting to reduce the parasitic horsepower loss.

The only practical alternative that I have found is the Melling MWP503. It is somewhat cheaper than OEM, but Melling does have a good reputation for its pumps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Awesome. Thanks darkman. So it actually seems as though the shop incorrectly diagnosed a bad pump and it actually appears to be leaking through one of the inlet/outlet fittings for the pump. Going to try swapping out the two hoses and clamps. Is there part numbers for those? Or should I just find a matching hose and cut to length?

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
The GM upper hose is part number 19130239. The GM lower hose is 89022513. Most auto parts stores will carry the Gates Brand equivalents which carry part numbers 23030 and 23031 for the upper and lower, respectively.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts