Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Deville 84'
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am replacing the water pump on my Deville 1984 RWD HT4100 engine. I am actually replacing the whole cooling system. I have now reached the water pump, removed the power steering pulley and yet, it seems to never stop, i now need to remove the crankshaft pulley. Since i do not want to damage the block/crank/etc. I was wondering how do you remove the crankshaft pulley. Just an impact and it goes? Or special puller? I have tried to look all over the internet and did not seem to find anything accurate. Please let me know! Thanks!

Will

·
Registered
83 FWB d'Elegance, 83 CDV, 83 FWB, 74 Lincoln Mark IV
449 Posts
You don't have to remove the crankshaft pulley. Just loosen the 4 screws and pull the v-belt pulley off the harmonic balancer.
You have to loosen the big bracket which is holding the alternator, air pump and ac compressor because there is one water pump bolt underneith.

Am doing the exact same thing right now. Before pulling the pump be sure that every bolt is off and remove the water pump from the timing cover. DO NOT remove the timing cover (if you loose the water pump screws, the timing cover is loose too). It is hard to seal the timing cover without removing it. To remove it you have to pull the harmonic balancer and this is a hard job. Mine broke apart in multiple pieces.

Good luck
Felix

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Wow for once it sounds like a job in a front wheel drive car is actually easier.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It is I think.

there are two bolts (red)

pull the steering pulley

remove the crank pulley off the harmonic balancer and the big alt bracket. then remove the water pump off the timing cover

Regards
Felix

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Make sure the by pass pipe is not corroded so badly that the two O rings wont seal. When I've done this job, I use Vaseline on the O rings and I push the pipe way into the intake manifold. The best way to push the pipe into the water pump is to first remove the coolant sensor just above the pipe, then push the pipe into the manifold so you see it in the coolant sensor hole. Leave just enough space to use a screwdriver behind it! Then once the pump is on and secure ,with the use of that screwdriver, push the pipe into the water pump. That should center the pipe between the two.

·
Registered
Deville 84'
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thaaaanks! Although, There is a water pump bolt right behind the edge of the crank pulley on the left side (facing the engine). There is no way i can remove that bolt unless the crank pulley is off the way. It is the last bolt to remove. It is quite annoying.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Remove the 4 bolts at the crank hub (red) and pull the crank pulley and crank harmonic balancer. This is an easy doing. Then you can remove the last water pump bolt (green)

Regards
Felix

1 - 8 of 8 Posts