Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question about the water pump removal on a 98 SLS. I've done some searches but no one ever eludes to this but when you take the pump out of the housing, does the pulley on the back side come with it? It looks like it does but didn't know what to expect.

Oh, and any good tips for getting to the lower bolt on the back half of the housing?

Thanks

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Getting that last bolt? You need to think back to the early days when you first started learning about working on cars, either OJT or at school. CUSS A LITTLE.

Works every time.

·
Registered
92 Eldorado 95 Cadillac SLS 99 Cadillac SLS 2004 SRX
107 Posts
Ranger is right that tool is needed I tried to get it out with a flat head Ha!

You can purchase the tool off of ebay. It was $20

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once I got all the BS out of the way it wasn't to bad to get at. Got the pump socket at Oreilly's for $25. Took me about 2 1/2 hours. Not real bad overall. The old pump came out real easy, didn't even need a cheater bar.

Thanks to evryone on the board for the help/ideas....

BTW, my old pump finally gave out at 170K.

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does the tool have a part number you can share with us? I don't have that store locally, and would like to order it online. My water pump and gaskets should be delivered today via UPS!

The part # listed in O'reilly's catalog didn't match anything they had in the store. This one just happened to be out on the floor with the rest of the tools they carry. But it is listed in their inventory. Maybe this store's computer was just messed up.

Big Ern is right about AutoZones loaning the tool.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,974 Posts
Keep in mind that the Lysle sockets are stamped steel and have been known to slip on a stubborn pump. The better Kentmoore or Snap-on are machined. Not sure which one AZ lends out. Usually you can get away with the Lysle socket. You get what you pay for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts