Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ESC, 2003 Deville
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2002 Eldorado ESC with the 4.6L
I am starting to remove items to easily get to the water pump and now have this item in the way (see photo).
Questions: What is it? What is the best way to remove it to get to the pump? The flexible pipe at the bottom seems delicate. Your thoughts or comments please.

DSC05012.JPG

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
It's the #2 AIR pump check/supply valve. Sends fresh air from the AIR pump to the exhaust manifolds on cold starts in order to quickly light off the cat. Emissions item. Monitored. You will probably need to remove the two flange nuts for the flex pipe at the exhaust manifold flange. Don't try to bend it !

You need to move everything out of there to get to the w/p - AIR valve, vacuum lines, lower radiator hose, top hose, pump cover, thermostat housing, w/p drive tensioner and belt.

The pump capsule unlocks with a HARD 1/5 turn to the right (clockwise)(note the special tang orientation) and locks in counterclockwise to 73 lb/ft with raw coolant or Vaseline holding the O-ring in the groove.

While you're in there, change the w/p drive belt tensioner arm pulley. NAPA or RockAuto. $25. Pictures in my albums.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all
Have removed the #2 AIR pump check/supply valve. and now on to the cover.
Tools in hand and parts to be delivered in the next 48 hours.
Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
I just did my tensioner last Friday and I hate that air pump it could've been placed in a better spot

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
There's really not much room under there. It had to be placed somewhere where it could be piped to both the AIR pump, and the exhaust, and not be too far from a vacuum supply.

Besides that, there's not much point spending extra R&D money on making a part that's pretty rarely serviced, easy to access. Now if it needed to be removed to change your oil or air filter, THEN it would be in a stupid place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, Ranger the pump was leaking quite bad on Monday. It is funny but I think back and I would hear an interesting howling noise for a few seconds after I started the cold engine. I am sure now that that was the WP. Anyway, R.A. shipped all of my parts yesterday including the tool and also the new tensioner. I should be ready to install when they get here. Today need to remove the lower rad hose then attack the 4 cover nuts and bolts. Thanks txtaz also for sending me that other thread about the 4th bolt issue. Yes, that harness is right there. I cannot wait to start on that one. LOL

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
AIR is a system used to pump fresh air into the exhaust manifolds after cold start in order to quickly light off the cat. In some models the AIR pump (inside the LF wheelwell liner) sounds like a Hoover vacuum cleaner.

(First sentence, Post #2)

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
:yeah:

WP's rarely ever make noise. Check the Air Pump cover (#8 & 9). It always comes loose. It is also a silencer, but it could be going bad. I replaced mine when it started getting noisy. You'll need to drop the lower splash shield to get at it. When I replaced mine I also pulled the forward wheel house shield as Sub mentioned for better access.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pr...D=6E03-008&SortKey=25&ART_SUFFIX=&SupplGroup=

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, that 4th bolt on the WP is a pain to get to. I will work on it again tomorrow....LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A 1/4 inch drive 9" extension and a flex 10mm socket works just great at removing the bolt.
Think I will replace the thermostat at the same time it looks funny.
So far so good. Now to put it all back together.
Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All back together and also put in the GM sealant tablets (got at a Chevy dealership). Just went for a drive, got her good and hot and no drips or leaks. Thanks to you all for the help..................

1 - 19 of 19 Posts