Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac '93 DeVille
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 93 deville that has 66,000 miles recently began to sound extremely loud. I just took a look under the hood and noticed that the noise is coming from the water pump pully. The pulley has developed a little wobble. Does this mean that the pump must be replaced? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just want to have some sort of clue before I take it in, Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
Are you sure it is the water pump pulley and not the idler or tensioner? Whichever one it is definitely needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
Cadillac '93 DeVille
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm sure it's the water pump pulley. After searching this forum I was hoping it was the idler or tensioner. That seemed like an easy fix. However the noise is definitly coming from the water pump pully. You can actually see it wobbling.

·
Registered
Cadillac '93 DeVille
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No leaks, car seems to be cooling fine, it has the digital cluster so I can't tell if its running warm or not.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
That's strange. If the shaft was wobbling, it would be leaking, so it must just be the pulley wobbling on the shaft. can't imagine what would cause that. I think the pulley is pressed on. I'd inspect it closely.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
The pulley is screwed on with three bolts that should be tightened to 30 N*m or 22 ft lb.s

·
Registered
Cadillac '93 DeVille
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it looks like I will have to go and finally buy a torque wrench. Hopefully that's all it is, and hopefully I will not have to take half the car apart to get to those nuts. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
No need to go out and buy a torque wrench. Those torque settings are not critical. Realize that every nut & bolt on the car has a torque value. Just crank 'em down and don't strip 'em.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
I have replaced the pump without a torque wrench, just tightened as far as I could without stripping them. When mine died I noticed the noise and leaks before I noticed the wobble in the pulley. Have you taken the belt off and spun it by hand? When I did that it became painfully obvious that it was the pump, not the pulley that needed replacing. If the pulley spins quietly and freely without the belt I would just tighten it down, My bet though is that you will hear all sorts of noise and will need a new pump. I have a few recent post detailing how to change it, In retrospect it wasn't too hard a job. If needed I can dig them up for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts