Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in my earlier post about my recent purchase of a 1991 Seville. Well, today the water pump went out. Not unexpected because this car has not been drive much over the past year. Anyway, my local mechanic is quoting $350.00 for pump and labor (not sure if this includes belt change). Is this a fair price for a WP changeout on this Caddy?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Is it the 4.5 engine. I changed my buddy's pump out on his 91 Deville with the 4.5. What a pain in the babushka. The pump is long. The bolts on the left side were tough to get to because of limited space. The 4.5 also has a rear water pump housing that should be done at the same time as the front side. This means more work.

I can't say if $350 is a good price or not. My buddy gave me $85 for my time. It took an afternoon, but there was alot of bulldonkey going on while I was doing the job. (bulldonkey = shooting the breeze)

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Oh, three different size fasteners also on the main water pump housing. A total of 19 nuts, bolts, and screws:

3 torx bolts
4 nuts (I think that is how many)
and the rest were hex head screws

That meant 3 different tools just to undo the darn thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up. I called the mechanics shop yesterday afternoon (I went ahead and told them to fix it) just to check up on it. The owner kind of laughed when I asked him if they had started the work, saying that "he (the mechanic actually doing the work) had been back cusssing the thing for a couple of hours". LOL! I trust these guys as I have dealt with them many times and have always felt good about their work and prices.

With it being this difficult, I am glad that I didn't try it myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,722 Posts
A new AC Delco waterpump is close to $90. So the labor charge isn't too bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts