Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help i cant get this damn water pump off I got the special tool Im using the breaker bar and Im turning it clock wise but everytime I turn it, it slips off then when I get a good grip on it its still wont budge I even got a hammer and tapped....ok hit with force lol the end of the breaker bar and it wont move can anybody help me
and yes I read the past thread on the steps to remove the water pump. mines is either stuck or the grooves the special tool lock on are striped. any help would be appreciated.
oh and its a 94 suville sls.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
I had to fabricate a bracket out of a strip of metal to bolt the socket to the waterpump housing and keep it from slipping.... I would take a picture of it, but I gave it to my friend who also has a caddy, not to mention I don't have a camera at the moment.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
Look at it very carefully and put the tool onto it and get a good lock befoere you put the bar on the tool. I just use my 30" breaker bar and it comes right out. I've never had to put a lot of force on it at all.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Here, I drew it for you... I don't remember a lot of the measurements though; it was a long time ago. But the pic gives you the basic idea.

Eeeek! I just noticed a typo on my drawing... It should read "Hole for 1/2" breaker bar to go through", instead of "1/2" hole for breaker bar to go through."... Really the hole would need to have a bigger diameter than 1/2" to accomodate the corners of the square drive. 3/4" would probably do it.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Sometimes I use a pipe which I slide over the breaker bar for extra leverage - makes all the difference in the world. Nice drawing and great idea to hold the scoket in place. Didn't even notice the typo!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've always put a piece of exhaust pipe over the breaker bar for more leverage. Worked for the most stubborn of bolts, including hub bolts.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,977 Posts
The cheap stamped steel tool are the ones that tend to slip from what I have heard. I believe the new tools come with the bracket that Krashed made. I have also heard that a few short blasts from an impact wrench will break stubborn pumps free a lot faster than more torque.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I replaced my Northstar water pump using the tool from NAPA. Cost around $21 and I thought it was a kind of flimsy, stamped tool that I really didn't think was stout enough for the job. But it turned out to be fine. Using an 18" breaker bar, it turned only a very short ways--really only a very short distance and I thought something was not right. It wouldn't come out. But it had actually turned as far as it is supposed to. The pump was a snug fit in its housing opening, so even after the tool had done its work it seemed like there was a problem. I popped with my fist on the end of the pump a couple of times and it freed in the housing and flopped right out.

Same thing putting in the new one. Seemed like the turn was not far enough, but actually it is fully in place with a very short movement to engage the tangs.
Hope this clears the doubts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
One more thing...check the correct direction to turn for removal and re-install. I believe moving the top of the handle towards the windshield is correct for removal. It's been a while. I'm not positive on this direction.

·
Registered
1993 Seville STS
19 Posts
If the car came with Green coolant, it still might not budge. My '93 cracked the stinking removal tool (2 of them as a matter of fact) - good thing Autozone didn't inspect them close when I returned them. I had to replace that housing that the water pump mounts into - what a pain in the a$$

·
Registered
96 Eldorado
283 Posts
If its positioned correctly It must be held SQUARLY to the pump. This can be done by hand pressure. I did need to give the bar a moderate tap with a hammer to break it loose.

·
Registered
93 Seville STS
25 Posts
If the car came with Green coolant, it still might not budge. My '93 cracked the stinking removal tool (2 of them as a matter of fact) - good thing Autozone didn't inspect them close when I returned them. I had to replace that housing that the water pump mounts into - what a pain in the a$$

What does green coolant have to do removal?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,977 Posts
Green coolant needs to be changed every 2 years. If it wasn't there may be a scale build up causing the problem. Same problem with Dex, but it has a longer lifespan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts