Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

How easy is it to change a water pump on a 91 sedan deVille? I just finished reading the Haynes manual and it says I have to do the following (if I remember correctly):
1) purge all coolant fluids
2) remove coolant surge tank
3) loosen the screws on the water pump pulley
4) loosen the accesory belt tensioner
5) remove the belt
6) take off the water pump pulley
7) take off the water pump mounting studs and screws

It appears that I can do all of that except 3) and 7). It looks like the battery is in the way and I need to take that out. Even then, it looks like the car's frame is in the way to prevent me from taking off all the screws and studs. Do you have to get underneath the car to take off the screws, or raise the engine from the frame to do this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did my not long along and everything can be done from up top. You are going to have to take out the battery, coolant bottle, and also one of the pulleys on top next to the alternator.

What the Haynes manual doesn't tell you is that there is four hex bolts that you have to remove. It took my the longest to figure that out, I couldn't even tell because it was so much dirt and grim on the pump.

·
Registered
730 Posts
don't do it..... I did one on my 93 Deville... took about 8 hours total in my shop. If you go to a shop to have it done, they will say 4.5 hours, but it will only take about 3. anyhow, it's a humongous pain in the butt. if you get a shop to do it, buy your own pump at oreily's and spend the extra $10 to get a lifetime warranty. reman pumps done seem to last long for me!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I found that the AC Delco pump worked best for me on the 4.9 engine. Also check out the bolts. From what I remember, there's at least one Torx bolt holding the pump on, so have a set handy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
El Dobro