Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville (base)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard some squealing under the hood and when I got home and checked I noticed the water pump belt was frayed. I took off the guard over the belt and the tension pulley was ruined. I can fix these but the other gear that goes into the manifold won't spin and I'm assuming that's not right. I took off the small screw on the end and it won't come off.

So, that's why i'm posting. Image attached the non-spinning part is pretty much right in the middle of the image. Sorry for not knowing the part name. I have already called it several other names I know are not the proper names for the part.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
In the future, just upload to Photobucket, and post the IMG codes here. No size limit.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
That is the water pump drive pulley on end of camshaft, not supposed to spin except when motor running. If it is damaged it will need to be removed with puller. Be careful as you can damage the cam. Many threads about changing that pulley on CF and I mean a boat load.

·
Registered
2003 Deville (base)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I just need to change the belt and the tension pulley and I'm good, or do i need to drill down to the water pump and check it out. I had no indications of overheating, just the noise from the belt being fried.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
If the water pump spins freely its fine and the drive pulley on cam is fine unless it shows damage. Sounds like the idler pulkey seized and snapped the belt. A very common issue.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
You can find the water pump drive belt tensioner pulley separate from the tensioner arm - NAPA, $25 or so. Simple fix.

Any Gates, DAYCO, AC Delco, whatever bearing and/or belt is just fine.

As posted, you do NOT want to get into changing that water pump drive pulley - and its cam cover oil seal. Check that tensioner pulley every 25,000 miles - for noise and play. You got away with murder this time................. What about the main accessory drive tensioner and idlers ??

Please clean up that engine. That's lack of preventive maintenance right there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Deville (base)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Water pump spun freely so I got the parts on Amazon and put them in last night. Runs fine now. thanks for the help. Got all back together and even cleaned the engine for Sub.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts