Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased a 94 Seville STS, there always seems to be moisture
around the buttom of the trunk. I ran the garden hose over the top but can't figure out how it gets in?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Welcome aboard... Thanks for signing up....

Ill move this to the seville section.......

Most likely your trunk seal is shot, and will need to be replaced......

·
Registered
1993 STS and 2004 DTS
564 Posts
I am posting a solution, that I copied from an old post, regarding the trunk leaking. Read it and examine your car carefully to see if it will apply to your situation.
-George

-------------------------------------
Cadillac Trunk Leak

The trunk seal seems to have a design flaw that I would like to explain to help others.

The trunk seal at the bottom seeps water into the spare tire well. This can be soaked and wet for a long time before detection.

The water gets behind AND inside the trunk seal from the top near the back window glass. The water runs along side and under the OUTER side of the rubber seal.

When it reaches the lower trunk lip, it actually accumulates underneath. The outer seal is such a good seal that it does not allow that water to drip out. When the water level gets higher than the trunk's lower lip, the water seeps in....

To fix it:
I cut a one inch piece out of each lower OUTSIDE trunk seal about 2 inches in from the curve on each side. This is the side of the seal towards the bottom of the car. Since the center of the seal (a round open tube) also had water in it, I also cut a smaller hole on each side of that to release the water in about the same place.

It worked beautifully....

Al, if GM redesigns the trunk seal as I have said, this will solve the problem. A local dealer had to do a buyback under PA's lemon law over this leak.

Hope this helps someone out there,
Jim Fogarty

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently used this very fix on my 2000 STS and it has worked great so far. When you cut the notches, cut them in the ribbed part of the seal that is on the outside of the car, the part that actually clamps down on the sheetmetal and holds it in place. I left the round part that contacts the trunk lid completely intact. You'll need a pair of dikes to make the cut, trust me on that one, I started with scissors and a box cutter but quickly tossed them asside and went digging out the dikes. If you'd like any pictures to show where I made my cuts I can post some or email them to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WAZR1 said:
I recently used this very fix on my 2000 STS and it has worked great so far. When you cut the notches, cut them in the ribbed part of the seal that is on the outside of the car, the part that actually clamps down on the sheetmetal and holds it in place. I left the round part that contacts the trunk lid completely intact. You'll need a pair of dikes to make the cut, trust me on that one, I started with scissors and a box cutter but quickly tossed them asside and went digging out the dikes. If you'd like any pictures to show where I made my cuts I can post some or email them to you.
I would like an email with a photo, thanks very much. [email protected]

·
Registered
85 Posts
WAZR1 said:
I just notcied this leak on my 99 sts, could you send pix please?
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Post pictures here so everyone can see.......!

·
Registered
19 Posts
elwesso said:
Post pictures here so everyone can see.......!
Sorry to keep everyone waiting, my home email account has some issues so I didn't know I had replies until I checked back on the forum. I'll get the pictures taken tomorrow and post them for everyones sake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, here they are. I didn't have time to disassemble the trunk to pull the seal loose, so I took the pictures from the rear with seal in place but it's pretty easy to see were I made the cuts. Just remember, only cut the ribbed part of the seal that is on the outside of the trunk, or bottom of the seal as veiwed from behind.

Here's a distant view and the close up shot from directly under the seal and above the bumper cover, I made this cut on both sides, but it appears my drivers side was leaking the worst:

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
We finally had the first big night of hard rain since I have done this, I'd tested with a hose but didn't consider it a complete test until the winter rains started. I checked the floor tonight and around the back wall where it had been seaping in, it's as dry as can be! :D

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
WOOHOO!!! Congrats!!!! :)

·
Registered
98 Deville
15 Posts
brockland said:
just purchased a 94 Seville STS, there always seems to be moisture
around the buttom of the trunk. I ran the garden hose over the top but can't figure out how it gets in?

IF YOU HAVE A SUN ROOF AND IT LEAKS IT WILL DRAIN THRU A HOSE INTO THE TRUNK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 94 STS with a leak in the turnk that actually filled the spare tire well 1/2" deep. It wasn't caused by the seal, but by the seam of the body panels below the rear tail light assemby. Pull the carpet away from the rear wall of the trunk below the tail light assembly and check the caulking on the seam of where the panels come together. On mine, the water just flowed in when it rained. Applying a silicon bathtub sealer to it fixed the problem just fine.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for all the great infomation. My '96 STS had a leaky trunk as well and it is now bone dry. I modified the trunk gasket as suggested in this thread and used silicon to seal two ody panels on the trunks topside, drivers side.

Thanks again.

Scott:coolgleam

·
Registered
Black 2008 CTS DI AWD
53 Posts
Good thread. In fact, I would encourage anyone with a late model Seville to take a second and look inside their spare tire well for moisture, because even if you don't think you have this problem, you probably do. After a while, even if you don't see it you might start to smell it :vomit: .

Notching the seal as shown will help the specific trunk latch leak into the tire well quite a bit, but unfortunately in many cases water will still get underneath the seal and leak in other areas.

growe3 said:
Al, if GM redesigns the trunk seal as I have said, this will solve the problem.
Yep, the seal has been changed for about the last year or so of production, and service parts should be available by now. If anyone is still having leak issues under the weatherstrip, this would probably be the best way to eliminate them.

Just make sure the guys at the dealership actually bother to heat the seal until the mastic flows before installing it (to about 100 degrees or so). If they just pull the part out of the box, smash it onto the flange and tell you you're good to go :annoyed:, you'll probably end up with another super fly-ass aquarium.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I used GM's latest bulletin to stop the pool in the trunk of my 98. The newest revision of the trunk weatherstrip is used along with a bead of RTV sealant. The leak has been gone ever since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a leak problem, and can't find picture of where to cut these holes.

i own a 2000 cadillac STS and my trunk smells like pond-poo. :(

not so cool when you're out with friends. haha.

if anybody could please send me a picture of where to cut, i would greatly appreciate it. i'd much rather solve the problem myself than give up and take it in to the dealer.

thanks a lot. :)

pics of my car, if you're interested:
http://oregonstate.edu/~morgamic/gallery/car/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gentlemen,
I'm suffering from the same leak problem in the trunk of my 1999 STS.-Cadillac
As "cutting" the seal , as suggested in the Caddy-forum ,is not that evident , I should be glad to get the pictures about this subject that were published on the forum.
Unfortunately I can't get them there
Would you be so kind to mail me this pictures if you have them available ?
Thank you very much in advance and best regards from Belgium,
De Ploey Herman
Busken Huetstraat 11
B2050-Antwerp - Belgium
Tel/Fax 00 32 3 3 2190102
E-mail :"[email protected]"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts