Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'96 FWB; '96 STS
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 just got a super windy horizontal 5 inches of rain on it, and, for the first time, I have water in the right front floor area. We're talking a good quarter inch! This brought something to mind.

My daughter had 2 Pontiacs, a 98 and a 01, a G Prix and Bonneville. My sister in Indiana had over the past few years 3 different GMs, modern eras.
All of them had this windshield leak? problem, all only on the right side. Dealers in both states (Virginia and Indiana) said this was a common GM problem. They all said to pull back the carpet and drill a few small holes in the floor pan for the easiest fix, since this only happened in severe rain only. The Grand Prix also had the water in the right rear floor area also.

The cars were all level in driveways. None had even a drop on the drivers side.

Just wondering if anyone else had this "right side only" deal.

Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
By checking the Impala SS forums when I got water in the pass side floor. I found out that the most common problem is that the drain tube for the heater/ac box is located inside of the car and the hose goes thru the firewall. Well this hose is very short from the factory and sticks straight out water can run out hose and right back into the car or in most cases the hose is missing altogether this allows any water in the box to drain right into the floor. The water can be condensation from the AC or rain running down thru the vent between the hood and the windshield. The fix is to get a piece of hose (5/8" by memory not sure) about a foot long and install it onto the nipple made on the bottom of the box out the hole in the firewall and down to the frame that way the water has to run straight onto the ground. I checked my hose and sure enough it was missing so I installed a hose and no more problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow. I guess im not the one with the right side deal either. Whenever it rains, my front and back passenger side floors get moist. Wheels, Im doing that as soon as it stops raining! Lol, thnaks

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood Brougham
239 Posts
Same problem here. If I sit at a light long enough with teh A/C on, when I start to go, I get a waterfall into my car. I'll check for that hose this weekend.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Drilling holes in the floor would be a horrible idea because not only would the carpet still get wet and start to smell after a while but then water from under the car will make its way inside too and either way you'll get severe rusting really fast.

do it the right way and spray your windshield lots and lots and see if it leaks and if you have gone through carwashes and no leaks then your problem is not the windshield

Most likely a leak in the heater area or evaporator core area etc. the hose is very likely they can simply fall off sometimes or with previous repairs they are not put back on causing problems.

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
99 Eldo, small water leak on inside of both front seat floor areas. Has occured twice while vehicle was parked in rain. Traced two small drops of water that appear to have come from door trim panel at front? Water would have to come up from bottom and over flow into door sill. Dont see any plugged drain holes in door. Anyone?

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood Brougham
239 Posts
Why would you drill holes in the floor when GM cars have drain plugs that you can just pop up? I had to pop mine due to all of the water pooling under the carpet in the back.

C

·
0 Posts
A common source of leaks on the right side of these cars is a bad seal around the heater box. I had water leaking in the passenger side front behind the dash of my '78 deVille and couldn't figure where the water could be from. At the time I worked in the service department at a Cadillac dealer and asked one of the mechanics who had been there since the 70's what it could be. He said I should reseal the heater box, so I loosened the screws around the top of the box and ran a bead of black sealant between the box and the firewall. I did that in 1997 and it hasn't leaked since. Leaks around the heater box are a fairly common problem, and not very difficult to fix.

·
Registered
04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB
1,044 Posts
I looked at my 90 Broughams leak better. Cant find that hose, but it seems to be comming right out of the box itself. Seems to be comming from a area whrere 2 peces meet together in the front part of the bottom of the box. I threw some sealer there, havent checked though.

Mavy be just dripping from somwhere elese, down, and i sealed someting thats not leaking.
Ill have to test it.
It may be the seal like you said CDV.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
My '93 leaks right around the overhead console. Actually, originally over a year ago, I noticed that it would often be soaking wet from the top of the driver's side A-pillar back along the top of the driver's door. Checked the seal, pulled stuff apart, ran the hose--nothing. Put some sealer stuff around the seal and it still seemed to leak, until it just randomly stopped.

Then, about half a year later, started leaking right in the center of the front edge of the roof, to the extent that the velour headliner around the overhead console would always be heavily saturated, and if it had rained fairly hard or snowed and melted, I'd have an inch or more of water that had somehow directly fallen and collected in the flip-out cupholder. Resealed the top of the windshield with some new stuff, and that seemed to stop it.

Well, that was, until I was home last week and drove the car again--was raining fairly lightly one day, but I noticed the overhead console area was again wet, though not as much as before. Gotta re-seal it again, I think.

I think a lot has to do with the damn vinyl roof (can you tell I HATE it!:annoyed: ), not jiving to well with the rubber seals. Think I'd be scared to ever try and pull it off and see what it REALLY looks like under there, especially near the seals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts