Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 93 Seville and water has formed in the left tail lamp. I don't see any signs of a crack in the light and it hasn't even rained recently. Any ideas?

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
tail light

I would check all the joints where the clear plastic and black plastic meet. Also check the foam gasket between the bulb socket and the plastic. I ended up having to replace mine because the owner of the car before me drilled holes in it to let the water out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: tail light

Loud 93 STS said:
I would check all the joints where the clear plastic and black plastic meet. Also check the foam gasket between the bulb socket and the plastic. I ended up having to replace mine because the owner of the car before me drilled holes in it to let the water out.
Thanks. So you wouldn't recommend drilling a hole in it to let the water out?

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
Re: tail light

93caddydriver said:
Thanks. So you wouldn't recommend drilling a hole in it to let the water out?
I also would not recommend drilling a whole. On my 96 STS there is water vapor visible on one tail light. I have not taken any action yet. However, there are holes in the bottom of both lights on my 96. There is a press in retainer that connects that black plastic piece to the bottom of the lens. That retainer goes through a hole in both the black piece and the lense. What I am saying is that there is already a factory hole in the bottom of the lens. This is the hole that retainer goes into. Water should be able to run out past the retainer. Actually retainer is not the correct term, but if you look, you will know what I am referring to. The one light I have with water vapor is the same one that is missing the retainer. I am going to get a new retainer and dry out the lens with the expectation that the water vapor will not return. I am assuming in my case that it is the missing retainer that is allowing water to enter the lens through the bottom.

I am also going to really stretch this guess to cover other Sevilles with watervapor in the lens. This stretch is that this missing retainer is the cause of watervapor in the taillights. If people were replacing the retainer after changing tail light bulbs, then there would not be water vapor visible in the taillights. Would anyone support this theory, or am I oversimplifying? Does anyone have the retainers installed and still have visible water vaopr?
Jon
96STS

·
Registered
69 Posts
On my STS, the retainer hole that Jon is refering to does not actually go into the inside of the lens where the vapor is visible. Plus the the clip was in place on my aunts car and hers still had vapor in it.

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
Loud 93 STS said:
On my STS, the retainer hole that Jon is refering to does not actually go into the inside of the lens where the vapor is visible. Plus the the clip was in place on my aunts car and hers still had vapor in it.
Hi Loud 93 STS,
That is the idea of a forum. I had an idea and was not sure if it was correct or not. That answers that question. The water vapor issue is not related to the "retainer". Too bad; that would have been an easy solution.

I still have visible water vapor in the passenger side tail light and if anyone is able to locate the specific cause, please post.

Soon I will inspect mine and hopefully find a solution.

Jon

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything. But I wish that was the fix. Then I wouldn't have had to shell out $25 to the junkyard I don't really like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't see a big problem in drilling a small hole in the bottom of the plastic lens, & then sealing it with some f-resin once you're done.

Other than taking the whole thing apart, I can't think of a better, easier way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JohnnyLfromCT said:
I don't see a big problem in drilling a small hole in the bottom of the plastic lens, & then sealing it with some f-resin once you're done.

What is f-resin? I think I'm going to try drilling a small hole on the bottom of the plastic part but I'm going to take it to the dealer just to see what they say. I know they will try to get some money out of me.

I was hoping that the heat and humidity would dry it out, but it didn't.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
93caddydriver said:
JohnnyLfromCT said:

What is f-resin? I think I'm going to try drilling a small hole on the bottom of the plastic part but I'm going to take it to the dealer just to see what they say. I know they will try to get some money out of me.

I was hoping that the heat and humidity would dry it out, but it didn't.
I had the same problem with my 92 Eldo but on the head lights. I checked the lights everyday for about 2-3 weeks untill one day they were dry. Then i sealed the hole with crazy glue and its been fine every since. Cheap way out.

·
Registered
2000 DTS
197 Posts
I've drilled holes in tons of lenses (mine and others) and I've never heard of any problems with them yet.
Just ahve to make sure you drill the hole in a spot were water can drain, and where the hole will also be shielded from the weather. Dont use a very large bit either. I've never sealed them up after the water has gone either, but it is a good idea. RTV sealant will also work well for that.

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
93caddydriver said:
I just bought a 93 Seville and water has formed in the left tail lamp. I don't see any signs of a crack in the light and it hasn't even rained recently. Any ideas?
Hi Everyone,
I made a discovery today that may pertain to the water vapor in the Tail Light. Yes we are discussing the tail light that is attached to the deck lid. Someone was absolutely correct in stating that the retainer on the bottom was not related to the water vapor issue.

It rained again in Upstate NY where I live with my 96 STS. I was outside after the rain stopped with my 2 yr old daughter. She loves water. She of course noticed something I had not noticed before. Water was pooled up under those two tail lights that mount on the trunk. It was about 1/2 inch deep. It was just deep enough to reach the bottom of the License Plate and the bottom of the Tail Light. The bottom 1/4 inch of the Tail Light was submerged in this water. Conincidentally I park the STS on the right side of the driveway. It leans to the right because of the slope of the driveway. The Passenger Side Tail Light has the water vapor, and that was the one that was submerged.

Being a new STS owner, I did not know that there are two drains on that plastic piece on top of the rear bumper that may be plugged up. Both of the drains were plugged up which caused the water to pool under the Tail Light. The drains were very easy uncloged, by sticking my finger in, and the water ran out immediately onto the ground.

I suspect that this water pooling under the tail light is somehow getting into the tail light through the bottom. Maybe tomorrow I will go out and remove the tail light for a close inspection.

My current plan is to remove it, bring it into the house and dry it out. If there are any cracks, or defects that allow water into the bottom of it, I will plug them. I have been saving those little pellets that come with electronic equipment for years and never had any use for it. I am going to microwave the pellets (to remove the attracted moisture) and drop a bunch of them into the tail light and reinstall it.

I will report back in a couple weeks what the results are.

Jon
96 STS

·
Registered
2000 DTS
197 Posts
93caddydriver said:
Where would you suggest drilling the hole? The water is in the lense that is on the trunk. What size bit?
If there is just condensation, I would say pull the lens out and drill one (maybe 2 if there is a LOT of condensation) 1/8" max hole in the back, somewhere where it will be able to vent, but be shielded from the elements.
If there is a ton of water in it, you may want to try drilling one in the bottom as well.
It usually works best if the lens is out, so you can easily drill the holes, and get them in the best spots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts