Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Ok, Is there a trick to removing them? i have tried all the internet tips - they just sneer at my attempts - even tried muriatic acid. I'm beginning to think the only way to remove them is to polish them out with 2000 grit polishing compound...

any ideas guys?

steve

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,894 Posts
2000 is too coarse. Use a glass polishing kit from CCC (Custom Chemical Packaging) or maybe 3M, Mother's, Meguiar's. Parts stores.

You might - might - have some luck with The Works, a lime/rust/scale cleaner from a Dollar General, Big Lots, or Dollar Store.

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 1997 SLS
609 Posts
Wait wait... Hold off on the sandpaper for a bit. What have you actually tried in regards to clay bar, compound and polish? And specifically how did you go about doing it?

·
Registered
2016 SRX Luxury
43 Posts
I used Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish on my headlights, and they look brand new. You can do it by hand, but a buffer works much quicker - I was amazed at how quick and easy it was.

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK ....BTW, yes i tried CLR got the same sneer......however i hand rubbed some 2000 grit 3M polishing compound i had left over from a re-spray and it worked wonders. Its too much effort to hand do it - so tomorrow i am going to try using by orbital/ random car buffer -0 keep ya posted with before and after pics, think i'm gonna use rainex on the top to minimise the issue

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium
26 Posts
I had the exact same issue. I also had some on my rear side windows.
After trying numerous products I took the advice from someone on another forum and ordered McKee’s 37 high performance glass restorer.

It took them off no problem, by hand.
I highly recommend.

BTW - it also works great on glass stove tops.
It works!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 FWB
889 Posts
Beat me to it.

For the OP, I got CLR to work with a soaked sponge under saran wrap. In a coolish garage overnight.

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW ! i got it today and tried it - almost zero effort and amazing results, thanks for sharing :):)

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the Mckees polish......freaking unbelievable

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium
26 Posts
Right? I swear by the stuff now after trying everything, like you did.
Glad it worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts