Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have been so busy lately to play catch up with everyone. Football season is on the loose and keeping up with 6000 fantasy football leagues is tiring! Anyway...

'98 Concours...Looking for ideas/suggestions for giving the engine a good cleaning. The car is beautiful, but the engine area is lacking. Aside from a sponge and towels, I recall way back when I was a teen spraying some degreaser or something on my old clunker's engine and just spraying it off with a garden hose...any suggestions?

Also, looking to get the windows tinted. We don't have a lot of competition around here for this business, so I don't want to get hosed...what is a *fair* price for this? Anybody have some experience with this? I plan on doing all windows...

Thanks much!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Pricing for tinting is very regional. Around here, $200 is fairly common, by you, who knows?
Washing the engine is easy. No pressure washers, stay away from spraying strong water blasts on electrical connections etc. Use water alone first to see just what REALLY needs degreasing, then use Windex, or a MILD degreaser (I use Simple Green).

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
This is what I do to clean underhood (borrowed for the www.impalassforum.com)

Engine Cleaning/Detailing

by Gary Grant - HOTSS

1) On a hot/warm engine, spray the entire engine compartment down with Windex. Close the cowl(hood) and wait @ 3-5 minutes.

2) Lift the cowl(hood) and mist the engine compartment with water. Now spray the entire area with Armor All. Close the cowl and again wait 3-5 minutes.

3) Repeat the Windex and Armor All application again. Now, after the second coat of Armor All, close up the engine compartment and wash and detail the exterior of your car.

4)When you are finished, open the cowl(hood) and wipe down any excess Armor All.
And tint... I paid $200.

·
Registered
39 Posts
window tiniting

Here in the big D, i paid $149.00 to have my windows tinted. It looks great so i highly recommend you do it. If you should have a lot of competition in your area try negotiating with them. You should have no problem talking them down off there first quote. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Re: window tiniting

I'll be honest, I read that procedure on the SS page years ago (or it seems like years ago at least), and never liked it much. To each his own though.
As for tinting, just remember, there are laws in every state that cover automotive window tinting. The law states what windows may be tinted and to what degree (window tint is graded in % of light transmission).

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Re: window tiniting

I got a quote from ziebart here for tint all around for 130 installed.........

·
Registered
166 Posts
I paid $280 for my window tint, and that was for top-of-the-line all metallic, lifetime no-peel / no-discolouring warranty stuff at 28% transparency. I would expect to pay no more than $300. Just be sure to do it- tinted windows are a boon against the sun! :)

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
How is driving a car with tint at night??

FYI..... In indiana, you arent allowed to have more than 30%, and no more than 25% reflectivicty...... This link will provide useful.... it tells all stats youll want to know about tint and stuff.......

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/State Law Chart.htm

·
Registered
Fleetwood Brougham 1995
521 Posts
So, you don't suggest cleaning the engine like that? You think it should stay kind of greasy? And what type of Armor All? Armor All Cleaner or Protectant? Do you suggest that I do this?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Ive always had good luck by using a detergent like simple green or windex, and a toothbrush...... Just go to town, and armor all if you like that look........

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I take it you're talking to me. I think I'm the only one that voiced anything negative about the posted procedure.
First of all, it don't like leaving any cleaner on the engine and/or electrical componentry 'til it dries.
Second, I would NOT use Armour All on the engine area since it stays greasy and will attract dirt etc. The best thing is to hose off the engine with plain water first. You'd be surprised how much stuff comes off with just water. Then, anything that didn't get as clean as you want, you can spray some degreaser on and hose right off. I spray my engine compartment down with degreaser and by the time I'm done getting everything I want with the degreaser, I just go right over the engine with the hose. Then I take the car out for a drive and/or blow off the compartment with compressed air. The important thing to remember is to wet the windshield and frontal painted areas BEFORE doing any degreasing. A lot of the chemicals you might use can etch glass and paint.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here in FL is kinda cheap paid 100 bucks to get me deville tinted with 5% all around and I paid an extra 75 bucks to get my front windshield tinted which is ilegal with 25% and I already got my first ticket for $49 for the tints being too dark.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
When I bother to fully clean my engines I use engine cleaner and a pressure washer. It's the quickest & cleanest way to do it :D

Only one of my cars has tint. I think it's 10% on the back windows and 15% on the front but don't know for sure. When you're driving at night it does cut down what you can see a bit but you get used to it. I only like the normal black/smoke tint.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
I use Simple Green or Greased Lightning, but I'm pretty careful when cleaning my engine bay. Too many small, vulnerable wires and cables. The nitrous lines especially.
As for window tint, it's in the $130 range down here. Though I'll need to redo my driver's side pretty soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The best procedure I've ever used was at the detail shop I used to work at in Northern Va.
1. Wet the front end of the vehicle. (reasons already posted above)
2. With the use of a standard adjustable trigger bottle, spray a heavy duty degreaser (available at most paint and body supply stores, if not, check with your local dealer to find out who they buy their detail products from) all over the engine bay, and underneath if so desired.
3. If you can get access, the best way to rinse the degreaser off is with a heated pressure washer. If you can't get access to a heated one, the local pay and spray car wash will do. Make sure you still have the front end of the vehicle wet!!! Then blast away, paying attention not to hose the distributor/coil packs/electrical connections too much.
4. Start her up! Check to make sure she runs all right, if not, probably a problem with moisture on the contacts of the plug wire, or in the distributor. As long as you didn't spray directly on them, you should be ok.
5. Let it run for a while with the hood closed. It is not necessary to latch the hood, as you'll get back in there in a little bit.
6. This is a good time to do some cleaning on the interior. The engine bay is drying right now.
7. The engine is dry, and everything works.
8. If you don't want to worry about dressing the engine, Congratulations! You're done! If you do, please proceed.
9. As for dressings, there are two ways to go. I prefer a product made by Carecraft detailing products called TKO. Spray it on, and leave it. It dries to a nice dull gloss, and doesn't attract too much dust. If you can't locate this or a similar product, there is a company called Stoner, that makes several products that are great for detailing. In a pinch you can use their "More Shine, Less Time". There is a lot of stuff to dress with an aerosol can though.

The real key to this whole thing though, is the HEATED pressure washer. This one tool when properly used, can make detailing 100 times easier. Don't confuse heat with a steam cleaning. STEAM CLEANING THE ENGINE BAY IS VERY BAD!!! It can seep into the block and make REALLY bad problems for you.

Sorry about the long post, hope it helps.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts