Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you boys & girls think?

I wash my STS once a week, usually on a Saturday morning.

I always dry her well, & then drive it to completely dry it. I use gentle dishwashing detergent, so I know I'm not killing the paint, but does anyone think once a week is too much?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
JohnnyLfromCT said:
What do you boys & girls think?

I wash my STS once a week, usually on a Saturday morning.

I always dry her well, & then drive it to completely dry it. I use gentle dishwashing detergent, so I know I'm not killing the paint, but does anyone think once a week is too much?
That is not a problem at all. I would not use the dishwashing detergent though b/c that will strip the wax off of the paint

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
# 7 car wash by Cyclo Industries of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. is an excellent product for under $4.00.
You can go to http://www.cyclo.com to see where to buy it near you. In the New Jersey/New York area it's at Pathmark Supermarkets & Drug Fair Chain Drug Stores.

S A N D Y

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Strips off wax and will make the paint look like ass later in life!!!

Just go to walmart and go to the car section...... Get the cheapest stuff, they all work about the same.... I use KIT wash/wax, and Im very impressed with it...... Got it a year ago, wash every week, and I still ahve half a bottle left... It doesnt sud as much as id like it to, but Ive used other stuff and its about the same across the board.......

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
You can use dish detergent but since it has no wax or anything in it it won't protect the paint.

I like Sundance Wash & Wax. It's easy to use and when it gets wet the water comes off a lot like wax.

For waxing turtle wax still works great. I've got some pink stuff too, I think it's called Liquid Lusture. It's been a while since I used it but I think it worked OK too :D

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
dude dont be a cheap ass and go buy some car shampoo or something. dish washin detergent will mess ure paint up.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
And a good wash mitt!!

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Once a week is not too much at all, but as said above use a product made for washing cars, this way your rubber molding and seals will stay in good shape, if you use a synthetic wax/polish you could use a dishwashing soap without stripping your protection off, but long term use will effect rubber and some plastic parts due to the high ph levels, and using a good quality cotton wash mitt will keep your paint looking good longer

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm...I've been using Palmolive (and a fat cotton wash mitt) on various cars & motorcycles for 20 years, & I've yet to see any detrimental effects on my paint jobs. Maybe I'll switch though, since the outcry is so fierce :D

I wax my car/bike with Mother's good stuff, so they're protected.

Thanks gents!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Johnny, I too used Palmolive Green Liquid for 20 years, and never was there a single negitive from its use. It makes a ton of suds and does leave a gleem to the finish. The down side is that it contains a grease cutting agent, and car wax falls into that catagory (grease=wax), so it will remove any wax that you work hard to put on! I could never figure out why MY wax, no matter what brand, never lasted for more than 3 weeks. That is when I asked around at car shows, and the majority of people used "No. 7" - so I switched to it, and it's very good, and does NOT remove the wax that we all work hard to apply. Make the switch. Try this here No. 7 ~ it's inexpensive, and really great. You can still use the Palmolive Green Liquid for tires & wheels, if ya got 2 bucket! :)

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Completely forgot about the wash mitt until I read that. I use them too.

The Sundance stuff I use won't affect the wax. It's supposed to have carnauba wax already in it so maybe that's why. I'll check out that No. 7 stuff next time I'm shopping for cleaning stuff.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
If you do, Brougham - post & tell what you think of it. Pros & cons. I am sure that you have used (and tried) many more brands than I have. I tried it on the say-so of other guys at local car shows, & it was the one that kept getting the recommendation. So, I found it & bought it & I was pleased. I see you are a Northern friend, so you may not be able to find it in Canada. You may have to buy direct from the manufacturer. If you do, buy the small size first, just to try it. The 2 stores here on the East Coast of the USA do not do business in Canada, so it may be a run-around to find it. Check here:-
http://www.cyclo.com
Scan down a ways until ytou get to "No. 7" It was originally a DuPont product, but they sold it to this company and then they could not use its original name of DuPont's #7 Car & Truck Wash Concentrate. They shortened it to
N0.7 Car Wash. Here in the states it's like $3.75 cents. Probably like $6.90 by you.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I'll have a look for it and see if I can find it. Thanks for the name, if no-one knows what it is maybe they'll at least know the company. If I do get a chance to try it I'll let you know. It probably won't be until spring that I do any major car cleaning now.

I've used a couple different brands, not a whole lot. Usually when there's one I like I keep using it. It was Turtle wax car wash we were using before Sundance and I've pretty much been using that ever since. But if No. 7 is easy to get and works better maybe I'll switch again :)

When I went to the cyclo site the Rain Dance wax looked familiar. Sure enough there's a package downstairs with a bottle of it and an applicator. It says Armorall on it instead of Cyclo tho. Never tried it.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Don't use anything Armor All. 1st class garbage! Spit is better!
I used to use that Turtle Wax Car Wash, but nobody sells it in New Jersey now for a looong time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts