Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
Joined
·
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering about this all day. Maybe I was being a d*ck, but I dunno.

I'm in the left of 2 lanes, the right lane ends about 500 feet up. There's no one beside me, no one behind me but a Honda. Usually the merge is a clusterf*ck, but today traffic is light. I'm about 2 car lengths behind the guy in front of me, also in the left lane. We're cruising along at about 5 MPH over the limit. As the right lane is about to end, the Honda behind me makes a break for it. She wants to run up and cut in front of me just before the merge. WTF? Everyone was playing nice, and she busts out for that extra car length. I nailed the throttle and closed the gap between the car in front of me. Now keep in mind there was no one behind me, no one beside me. The merge would've been a non-event for both of us.

We get to the merge and she makes like she wants to hit me. I'm thinking "knock yourself out honey, the Buick could use new paint anyway". She gets closer and closer to me as the curb gets closer to her right side. Finally, just before impact she gave up and cut behind me where I felt she belonged. Naturally there was the honking of the horn and the flipping of the bird. I didn't care, I was in front and with the dark tint it would have been pointless to reciprocate.

Normally I'm not so territorial, but this move had me PO'd for some reason.

Should I lay off the caffiene? Or was I right to let this person know that I disapproved of her behavior?

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,073 Posts
Not wrong, just a case of both paries believing they were right.

It happens alot with me. I always win, im usually in the bigger car.

Dont worry about it Jim
 

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
Joined
·
6,796 Posts
There are a lot of roads around here like that and I do the same thing you do. I don't care of the guy in the right hand lane just turned onto the street and is just trying to get onto the road but it's the people who wait to the last second to get out of the lane that's going to end or who purposly use it to pass some cars for no reason that slow everyone else down.
 

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
In California it is illegal to pass on the right though many do it anyway. It is also the responsibility of the driver in the lane that is merging to merge safely with traffic, drivers in the other lane are not obligated to let them in.

I've done just as you did too Jim. It was a selfish move on the woman's part. It worked out OK for you this time but something the cops around here like to say is that it doesn't always pay to insist on your right of way.

Keep it greasy side down! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
Joined
·
5,074 Posts
I 100% agree with what you did. I can't STAND when people pull moves like that. What are you going to gain by cutting in by ONE CAR length. I also hate with 2 lanes are merging and some @$$hole just has to take your turn. IT'S ONE CAR LENGTH!!!! We all have to wait in line and merge, so why can't everyone just play by the rules?! I am very passive as well, if someone is riding me then I'll pull over and let them go, but when it comes to stuff like what you just described, I react the same way. I just wish people had common courtesy....no one cares anymore!!!!!! LOL, OK <breathe...count to 10> :D
 

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
Joined
·
14,607 Posts
uh , you did the right thing .....ive sent 2 cars off the road in these cases ....i run right along with traffic but i get drivers with what i call "cadillac syndrome" , they see the cadillac and by insinct HAVE to be infront of it ....

One man in a altima paid dearly for a similar move as what you went thru , he started moving towards me to run me off , so i moved right towards him even faster like they do in them movies while screming out my window "wanna play mother ****er"...i then pointed right like i was a baseball player getting ready to lay one out the park and ran him the rest of the way off the road....he ended up in the ditch sideways....

i drive 200 miles a day ......lets just say im done being bullyed.....
 

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
Stoneage_Caddy said:
uh , you did the right thing .....ive sent 2 cars off the road in these cases ....i run right along with traffic but i get drivers with what i call "cadillac syndrome" , they see the cadillac and by insinct HAVE to be infront of it ....

One man in a altima paid dearly for a similar move as what you went thru , he started moving towards me to run me off , so i moved right towards him even faster like they do in them movies while screming out my window "wanna play mother ****er"...i then pointed right like i was a baseball player getting ready to lay one out the park and ran him the rest of the way off the road....he ended up in the ditch sideways....

i drive 200 miles a day ......lets just say im done being bullyed.....
You big brute, you! :D :histeric:
 

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
Joined
·
14,607 Posts
Yha ive been haveing a rash of "bad behavor" for a few weeks now , blame it on no dateing or whatever you want ......

Ask the kid in my geomentry class ....ive went after him too ......it was his fault , everytime i asked a question he would sigh and make a cute little remark .....

Next week ill sit right beside him , lets see if hes got any guts ....
 

·
Registered
03 Escalade, 06 SRX
Joined
·
6,888 Posts
I would have handled the situation the same way. Actually I'm lying because soon as she gave me the finger I would have hit the breaks to see how good her reaction time was.
 

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
Stoneage_Caddy said:
Yha ive been haveing a rash of "bad behavor" for a few weeks now , blame it on no dateing or whatever you want ......

Ask the kid in my geomentry class ....ive went after him too ......it was his fault , everytime i asked a question he would sigh and make a cute little remark .....

Next week ill sit right beside him , lets see if hes got any guts ....
Oh to be a fly on the wall! (rubs hands together in anticipation of the thought)
Just turn and look the kid in the eye without blinking and say in a calm, low voice; "I'm gonna be your buddy today." :cool:
 

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
Joined
·
34,087 Posts
Nah Jimmy, I think its fine. I would have done the same thing.
 

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
Joined
·
14,607 Posts
Oh i put on a show in there last night ....and i had all my class mates walk up to me after class and after he left (he leaves early) and asked me why i was mad ...after appologizeing for them haveing to see me that way i told them and they understood ,

but it was cool how the ladies were all mortified and wanting to know what made me angry .....they all said "we didnt think anything made you mad" .....one of the older ones even walked me out to the car ....i guess too make sure i didnt find him....

normally i ask alot of questions and make alot of jokes ....everytime the new class list comes out kids that are in my classes ask what im takeing next ...so everyonce in awhile ill end up with a shitload of people i know in my class ...
 

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
Joined
·
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I knew I came to the right place for objective opinions ;)

Rush hour driving is tough enough without people going out of their way to f-it up for you. I usually cut people breaks and try to behave in a civil manner, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

The GN brings out the crazy in people. Everyone wants to race or somehow screw with you. It might be the CHEATER tags and the 'got boost?' third brake light, but I don't go looking for trouble. It always seems to find me.

Not so in the Caddy. People get out of the way and sometimes even make room for me when I put on the turn signal. Very strange behavior in NJ.

I'd have brake-checked her when she flipped me off, but the Caddy got rear-ended last month, and the minivan got rear-ended last week. While I do have a new bumper for the GN in the basement, I don't feel like having to dust it off and bolt it on.

I tend to dwell on things, but in this case you all have made me feel vindicated.

Thanks!

Jim
 

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
Joined
·
14,607 Posts
turbojimmy said:
I knew I came to the right place for objective opinions ;)
Rush hour driving is tough enough without people going out of their way to f-it up for you. I usually cut people breaks and try to behave in a civil manner, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
The GN brings out the crazy in people. Everyone wants to race or somehow screw with you. It might be the CHEATER tags and the 'got boost?' third brake light, but I don't go looking for trouble. It always seems to find me.
Not so in the Caddy. People get out of the way and sometimes even make room for me when I put on the turn signal. Very strange behavior in NJ.
I'd have brake-checked her when she flipped me off, but the Caddy got rear-ended last month, and the minivan got rear-ended last week. While I do have a new bumper for the GN in the basement, I don't feel like having to dust it off and bolt it on.
I tend to dwell on things, but in this case you all have made me feel vindicated.
Thanks!
Jim
damn son , you takin it up the ass more than elton john at a melissa ethirdge concert behind a bar named blue oyster
 

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
Joined
·
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stoneage_Caddy said:
damn son , you takin it up the ass more than elton john at a melissa ethirdge concert behind a bar named blue oyster
I know - I didn't want to go for 3 today.

The Caddy is going in for a new rear bumper cover next week. The Sienna goes in as soon as I'm done 'negotiating' with the lady that hit it. She was cool about it, but we'll see how she reacts to the estimate I got this week. I miss cars with 'real' bumpers.

Jim
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
EXACTLY. When I'm in the '93 STS, NOBODY passes me. I once had some Dodge Neon thingie (its the special SRT one) try to pass me with his girlfriend in the car, and i blew his doors off. It was hilarious becuase he had pulled up in front of me, an JUST as he turned the blinker on, I floored the northstar and he knew not to turn into my lane. (He was passing from the right anyway, which is a no-no);)
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top