Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002.5 seville sts 27,000 miles
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to dealer who has done the new car warranty repairs on my STS.
they gave me a printout. on 11/13/2003 they did crankshaft position senser
replacement at 4,000 miles. was wondering if these could be updated sensers?
they also reprogramed pcm, and replaced fuel tank senser.
in 2006 at 10,000 miles they replaced steering shaft intermediate?
module ignition lock cylinder reader/exciter, ignition and start switch.
block assembly,wiring harness junction- rear body replace.
there is no info. after that. I have driven the car a thousand miles
with no problems.
elko mike

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,951 Posts
By the end of '03 they MIGHT be the new Japanese Denso sensors, but you won't know for sure unless you get under it and have a look. I THINK the Denso sensors are black and gray. Sub knows for sure.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,793 Posts
Yeah, that ^^^. With few exceptions elko mike's warranty work is the carbon copy of mine. BUT the fuel tank pressure sensor and the PCM program work was due to GM recalls. In the picture the small sticker on the water pump pulley shroud is the fuel tank sensor campaign ID. The sticker may be on the driver's side strut tower.

The new CKP's went into the field in mid-2003, so your best bet is to get under the car and see if the connector skirt on the CKPs are black and gray.

·
Administrator
72,793 Posts
here's what you're looking for...............with a bit of decent light you can see the tabs on the sides of the CKPs.

The faulty ones were black and tan, made by Siemens in Mexico. New replacements are made in Japan by DENSO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info. sub. any idea what the intermediate sterring shaft
replacement is about?
elko mike

·
Administrator
72,793 Posts
thanks for the info. sub. any idea what the intermediate sterring shaft replacement is about? elko mike
Our series of cars has a slip joint/universal between the lower steering column bearing - at the inner side of the firewall - connected to the steering rack (the rack is on the powertrain cradle and so moves with engine torque while the steering column is fixed to the body = slip joint necessary.). The slip joint was subject to lubricant loss and subsequent creaks and groans at odd times. The first fix was a different grease and dealer repack job. Didn't hold up. Later fix was a new ISS. I have the new one and once in a while it groans - I know what it is and that doesn't bother me. Physically it's strong. Not a problem. The repack or replacement is a royal screaming useless PITA. Been there.

What's your build date - on the driver's door sticker, and what's the tire speed rating on the same sticker - H or Z.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
if they gave you the printout of the repair bill the part numbers should be on there too
in case you can't (or didn't) see them in sub's pictures the updated part numbers are
12575481 & 12575482

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our series of cars has a slip joint/universal between the lower steering column bearing - at the inner side of the firewall - connected to the steering rack (the rack is on the powertrain cradle and so moves with engine torque while the steering column is fixed to the body = slip joint necessary.). The slip joint was subject to lubricant loss and subsequent creaks and groans at odd times. The first fix was a different grease and dealer repack job. Didn't hold up. Later fix was a new ISS. I have the new one and once in a while it groans - I know what it is and that doesn't bother me. Physically it's strong. Not a problem. The repack or replacement is a royal screaming useless PITA. Been there.

What's your build date - on the driver's door sticker, and what's the tire speed rating on the same sticker - H or Z.
my build date is 03-02- tires are H 17''

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if they gave you the printout of the repair bill the part numbers should be on there too
in case you can't (or didn't) see them in sub's pictures the updated part numbers are
12575481 & 12575482
my printout did not have any part numbers or charges just date 11/13/2003 and job card no. 723418

·
Administrator
72,793 Posts
my build date is 03-02- tires are H 17''
OK - you have an H-limited F55 car, same as mine. The change to F55 suspension began at STS production line startup on 01/15/02.

My build is 02/02. The H tire rating = a top speed is 130 unless you know a Cadillac tech who will remove the speed limiter programmed into the PCM.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Just for color camparison to Sub's image in post #5, here is an image of the crankshaft position sensors that are prone to early failure. Of course, there are other reasons this particular engine does not run too well.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts