Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SRX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm out of the GM Bumper to Bumper on the used SRX I just bought. My local dealer is offering a GMPP through Ally. I know this has been asked before..., but just wondering what you all thought? I am NOT eligible to buy one online from another dealer. Since I'm out of the bumper to bumper, these are my only options. I have no experience with Cadillac repairs, so I'm lost.

My car: 2011 Cadillac SRX Premium AWD w/ Turbo. 41,500 miles.

The offers (all $50 deductible):

36 month/36,000 miles for $2,700
48 months/40,000 miles for $3,511
48 months/48,000 miles for $3,756

Yes or no?

·
0 Posts
How long are keeping SRX? How many miles do you drive per year? I would want some kind of Warranty

·
Registered
2011 SRX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
allgm said:
How long are keeping SRX? How many miles do you drive per year? I would want some kind of Warranty
I drive less than 12,000 miles per year. I have a 5 year loan, so possibly until 2020. I guess the question is whether or not (and by how much) the costs are going to run me. As a point of reference, my other car is a 2007 Toyota Camry, and say what you want about the brand, but it simply does not break, ever. I worry that I've been spoiled by the Japanese cars for so long that I've forgotten what american cars are like...hence my concern.

·
Registered
2011 SRX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
calif phil said:
If a major repair would be a hardship then I would go for the 4-48,000 did you try and negotiate?
I didn't negotiate. Honestly, it never even occurred to me. I guess that's what I'm wondering. What does a major repair look like all-in? $1,000? $2,000? $5,000? I asked the guy and he said that the struts usually going around 65,000 miles, and run $1,800. So I guess I am going to (at the very least) be paying that.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,654 Posts
1. What quote is that company from?
2. Struts / shocks are usually NOT covered. A strut is considered a shock since it is a shock with a spring mounted to it.

Call AAA ( Automobile Club of America ) Make sure it is the real deal and not some 3rd party company AAA has been around for years... I've used them on my 2006 DS Platinum. They worked out great.

·
Registered
2010 SRX Premium AWD Gold Mist, 2012 SRX Luxury Gold Mist
44 Posts
In my experience (limited) those prices are too high - I was offered a 48 month / 48K mile warranty on my 2010 SRX4 Premium by the dealer when I was buying it used for $4100 which I turned down, later it was offered at $2500. I still turned it down because I could only bring the car back to that dealer (about 100 miles away) to get the work done. I am looking at a Route 66 Extended Warranty from PenFed that has coverage to 100K and 5 years for $2400. Seems like a good deal but still checking it out - https://www.penfed.org/route-66-extended-warranty/ I have 29K miles on the car and plan on driving it about 12-15K a year, so I will probably hit 5 years before I hit the mileage limit.

·
Registered
2010 SRX
188 Posts
Open up a passbook account at your local back and deposit $75.25 each month. In four years you'll have $3756. If you don't need major repairs, you keep the cash. Otherwise once the "warranty" expires, you have bupkis.

·
Registered
2011 SRX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
retcad said:
Open up a passbook account at your local back and deposit $75.25 each month. In four years you'll have $3756. If you don't need major repairs, you keep the cash. Otherwise once the "warranty" expires, you have bupkis.
This makes a lot of sense to me. I think it's what I'm going to do. I've just heard too many horror stories about people buying warranties only to get every repair denied for ridiculous reasons. Plus, I'm pretty sure more financial gurus are gonna say this is the smart move.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts