Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who was driving on the highway doing @70MPH when he tried to downshift to pass a car but missed the shift. Not sure what happened exactly but think he may have momentarily put shifter into first instead of third. He caught it immediately and hit the clutch, but for 1/2 second the right rear tire chirped and the car shuddered. Afterwards when starting from a stop there was a pronounced audible clicking sound coming from the right rear. Tranny seems OK. But he thinks either the rear diff, the right halfshaft or a universal joint might be damaged. Engine also sounds a bit rough. Past original warranty but he has a major guard extended warranty.
Question 1: Are they going to deny him coverage because of driver error?
Question 2: Is there a code now stored in the computer that logged the incident?
Question 3: Can this code or log be erased?
Question 4: Is he better off going to a friend who is a 20 year licensed mechanic shop to perform the repairs or go to a Caddy dealer?
Question 5: What is the best/ most accomodating dealer in the NY/NJ/CT area who might get this covered (the Northeast version of Lindsey)?
THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!!!

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
First, I'd edit your post to remove the first 3 sentences.

I doubt it's a halfshaft, but it could be. My first guess before reading the symptoms was a bent rod, but if it's coming from the rear then that's out. Take it to the dealer and explain what the symptoms are. I wouldn't offer any other information.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Something like that won't set a code.
All he has to do is take it in and say it is making a noise.
I can't see a missed shift doing damage to an axle, those things are pretty tough.
Might as well let the Caddy dealer look at it before going to an indy.
If their estimate is too high he can have his friend do whatever needs done.

I don't know of any dealers up there but I think this website has a dealer ranking area. Perhaps someone could link it and you could do some research?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had a friend who did something similar long time ago, although not that drastic, when that friend was much younger. I ended up paying for it myself at an independent shop since the dealer wanted too much to repair. Hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Vdrenaline,

I love your post, esp #3. Can I erase the code?

And we all complain about stealerships????

I agree that you do not need to volunteer all of the info. But #3 sounds like an attempt at deceiving the dealership. (Maybe it is payback time???)

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,989 Posts
When he let out the clutch, did he over rev the engine?

I remember a story circulating around in high school (that would "in the old days" for many here) that another kid was going about 120 MPH in his 426 ci hemi on the expressway and downshifted into third. Rear tires did more than just "chirp," and his engine didn't like it one bit. :tisk:

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happy ending: My friend brought his V to the local dealer. Turned out all that broke was a halfshaft and a bearing. Engine and rear diff are fine.
Great dealer. They took it right away without a scheduled appointment, ordered the parts and had it back in 2 days. Major Guard covered everything. $50 deductable.
Where can he write Cadillac and GM to let them know the service manager and dealer did great work?

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
I missed 4th not paying attention and went into 2nd at 95MPH on the highway in my 3000GT VR4. Snapped the front and rear drive shafts and left 300 yards of transmisions parts all over the highway. I'm not even going to talk about the repair costs....

Feel lucky!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts