Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

I own an 04' Black CTS. When I picked up the car at 23k, I noticed that it had an unusual amount pitting or "chipping" in the paint. I've owned several black cars before, and I understand that both of those conditions are problematic in a black car. However, for a car with 23k on it, the amount of pitting seemed a little excessive.

Tonight I was waxing the hood and front bumper cover and I noticed that my problem had gotten significantly worse. There is a fair amount of pitting on the hood and bumper cover, and a gradual amount on the rest of the car. Understandably the amounts on the front of the car were greater. Does this sound like a standard problem? I'd hate to get to 70k and need a new paint job. I am at 38k currently.

I was considering calling up my dealer and trying to get this fixed as a warranty issue. Surely a luxury brand car at 38k should not have this amount of pitting? Has anyone ever done this or does anyone have any advice? Any GM guys here that understand the policies that deal with this kind of warranty issue? Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
50 Posts
GM is usually good about repairing paint defects in the first year. You might want to call Cadillac and see if you can get Goodwill Assistance. They might pay for a new paint job or charge you a couple hundred dollars. Just be professional when you talk to them and you should have no problem.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been google-ing "Goodwill Assistance" and most of the articles I'm getting are from the late 90's. Is this still a current program? Also, is "pitting" a commonly accepted factory defect?

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Have the cadillac body shop look at it, mine had a peeling front and pitted top of the car. I had 16K on the car at the time and it was older then a year. I requested that the PPG paint guy take a look at it. He determined that it was not enviornmental and not covered under our warranty. If it turns out to be man made (acid, paint, etc) then as long as you have full coverage on your insurance, your only out the deductable. Mine according to the PPG guy was damaged by an acid wash overspray when someone was cleaning a roof or awning. With this in hand I went to my insurer and less my deductable they repainted the top of the car down to mid door. I later went back to the dealer and they had to respray the factory painted front bumper due to the clear coat going bad. I'm lucky the dealer does first rate work and it looks brand new. By the way mine is Blue Chip in color. The PPG guy should at least give you the reason why. Good Luck!

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
PPG Car Paints!

PPG Industries was founded in 1883 as the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co.

PPG’s coatings businesses manufacture automotive and aerospace coatings; automotive refinishes; adhesives and sealants; factory-applied coatings for appliances, building components and a broad range of industrial applications; packaging coatings; and decorative, maintenance and other architectural coatings.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Goodwill Assistance is when you request GM to fix a repair for free or partial payment. If the repair appears to be a factory defect then they might help you. If it something that was caused by you (i.e washing your car with Ajax) your out of luck.
Do a Google search on Cadillacs with paint defects, gather whatever information you have and plead your case.
I did this for my girlfriends Impala (which was 10000 miles out of warranty), these cars are notorious for Intake Manifold Gasket leaks. GM payed for everything saving me $900.

·
Registered
100 Posts
johnnybn said:
hey all,

I own an 04' Black CTS. When I picked up the car at 23k, I noticed that it had an unusual amount pitting or "chipping" in the paint. I've owned several black cars before, and I understand that both of those conditions are problematic in a black car. However, for a car with 23k on it, the amount of pitting seemed a little excessive.

Tonight I was waxing the hood and front bumper cover and I noticed that my problem had gotten significantly worse. There is a fair amount of pitting on the hood and bumper cover, and a gradual amount on the rest of the car. Understandably the amounts on the front of the car were greater. Does this sound like a standard problem? I'd hate to get to 70k and need a new paint job. I am at 38k currently.

I was considering calling up my dealer and trying to get this fixed as a warranty issue. Surely a luxury brand car at 38k should not have this amount of pitting? Has anyone ever done this or does anyone have any advice? Any GM guys here that understand the policies that deal with this kind of warranty issue? Thanks for your help in advance!

The day mine was ready for pickup. Some employee drove my caddy, and hit something and put a big scratch on the front bumber, so I told them and they had the whole front left bumper, where the scratched occured, and re painted it like new. My first thought is before picking it up from the dealer, you should of inspected the paint, and I'm pretty sure the dealership would of taken care of you.
I have some paint chips in the front of my black caddy, with that color, its more noticable. I asked my dealer to touch it up, they asked for 600 dollars, a large portion, they wanted to do, thats why it cost so much. So I just leave it as it is. No bid deal to, since they're arent to many and not very noticable. Sorry to hear about that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts