Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI, I've been replacing my stock calipers with Powerstop brand calipers. Thought that since I was replacing all new pads and roters, I'd like the calipers powder coated red. What a mistake that was...

Went to replace the rear rotors and the brand new Powerstop calipers they came to me with NO threads for the brake lines. Awsome! Yep, you read it, no threads for the brake line to connect to. Almost like they were stripped out, but the casting was completely gone? Weird. This is finding it, after I have the originals removed. So, imagine what a PITA it is to go back to stock and bleed the breaks. Wait a minute, it gets better yet...

I receive a new pair, after I called CS livid that I had to deal with this and a lack of quality control. About 4 days later, after they told me they would overnight me a new set, arrives my new pair. So, I go through the same motions of removing the old calipers. Just to find out, they sent me 2 right sided calipers and no left side! Are you freaking kidding me?? The weird part is, I'm not sure what they are? Both sides have the casting of "R", but the bleeders are reversed for a correct pair. However, it will not mount up properly on the left side. Im not sure whats going with them, maybe this pair was in a prior bad accident, causing the frame and caliper to be bent?

I'm not sure I want to even use this company anymore to try putting on another set. Maybe the third time is a charm? I just have a sour taste in my mouth and a lot of lost time... Absolutely ridiculous and some ridiculous quality control from this company. Never again!

Just a heads up people...

Rant over. Mike :mad2:

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
Wow, that's bad.

I bought a set for my 05 from eBay, Callahan brand. They seemed to be pretty good. Powder coated and I think was around $180 shipped for the rear with a $70 core charge included that they will refund if you send the old ones back within 2 weeks. They even provided a return shipping label so all you would have to do is either drop off or call UPS for a pickup.

I am curious about one thing though. When I had an 05 the big upgrade for everyone was the 07+ front calipers and rotors because they are 1" larger. We didn't upgrade the rear because the 07+ rears are smaller than the 05's. What I'm wondering is if anyone has replaced the rears with the previous gen 03-06 brakes. The rears on my 05 were a dual piston versus the single piston 07+ I searched the site but couldn't find anyone who had done this mod.

I still have a set of 05 rears and rotors laying around. I might test fit them to see if they'll mount up correctly with the parking brake and the caliper bracket. If they fit I might get a new set of 06 rears to put on mine.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I couldn't believe my eyes, nor could I believe that they can possibly screw up sending me a shotty set, the second time around. I seriously asked the CS guy, who or what do you have inspecting these calipers? There is obviously no quality control, nor is anyone checking if the calipers or the bracket is bent. They must just clean them up and powder coat them. Who cares if the brake line hole has threads on it, or if they have a true left or right caliper. I asked him is someone is going to check over the third set they send me? I'm definitely going to be more cautious.

Furthermore, they stated that they would send me out a new pair today with a tracking number. I have yet to receive an email. The last set took almost a week to send out, even after I was promised shipping the next day. I asked why such a delay, they stated that they didn't have them in stock? Lol. Seems to be always something with these guys.... Not in stock, no quality control, assured me the third set will be correct! :D

I've never heard of anyone replacing the rears with an older dual piston. Curious if they line up? Interesting.

----------

Pretty calipers... Notice the RR caliper with the stock one in place.

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/michael_cvetan/library/Red Calipers

----------

Moral of the story: Check over everything before you tear down your truck. I guess you have to double/triple check everyones work first. The second set is the problem, I actually thought that one would work, until i went to mount it.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more I deal with this company, the uglier they look. I'm close to returning all of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That company is a joke. My friend put 3 piston calipers on the front and 2 piston on the rear, braided lines, the works, on his 2010 Charger. $6000 installed. He barely drives it and the brakes vibrate and sound like metal on metal and to add insult to injury, the "powdercoating" is coming off around the bleeder. He called Powerstop, they told him to pound sand, he went back to the place that sold and installed them, same thing, pound sand. He now wish's he'd paid the extra $1000 for Wilwood or Brembo's.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know what the difference is between a R & L caliper ?
Blur- I'm not sure on exact measurements, but they seem different and will not mount correctly on either caliper bracket. Visually, the only difference is the reversed bleeder screw hole.

----------

Just- Wow! I didn't pay anything close to Wilwood pricing. Front calipers ran about $180 and the rears were under $170. Now, even though two sets of these have been absolutely crap, CS does keep sending me out a new pair. I just received the new pair yesterday, these are looking good so far...

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,031 Posts
Typically, & I'm not familiar with your mounting, everyone should note, the bleeder should be on top. I've seen guys mount the bleeder facing down, then spend hours trying to figure out why they have no pedal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Blur- I'm not sure on exact measurements, but they seem different and will not mount correctly on either caliper bracket. Visually, the only difference is the reversed bleeder screw hole.

----------

Just- Wow! I didn't pay anything close to Wilwood pricing. Front calipers ran about $180 and the rears were under $170. Now, even though two sets of these have been absolutely crap, CS does keep sending me out a new pair. I just received the new pair yesterday, these are looking good so far...
Its a big brake kit-rotors, adapters etc, need 20" wheels to clear. The kit was $4000, and with tax and and labour, the total was $6000. He has the money but to be treated like that, sad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts