Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone called 'micheal' joined this forum yesterday and messaged me today asking me to email a markconey5 regarding a blue star module. I did this and then he wanted my location and now he would like my landline number. I am smelling a scam here. Anyone else heard from micheal?

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,699 Posts
not enough info to go on. suggest you report the message to the community help desk: Community Help

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just thought that it might be worth mentioning. It may be nothing. :)

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,699 Posts
it's never a good idea to give your address, email or phone # on a public board.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I agree and after being asked for exactly that I decided against it and to post my query.
I also think that it is incumbent on the operators of forums when alerted to a potential threat, to take appropriate steps to monitor the situation and to warn members to be alert. No one else can do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just thought that it might be worth mentioning. It may be nothing. :)
Wait until he ask for the 3 digit number on the back of your debit card lol 😆 but for real you do have to be careful, all joking aside it happens that fast and they come that subtle too.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,958 Posts
I just did some checking and the new member - micheal - is a scammer from Lagos, Nigeria.

I'll go back and One-Touch it. Thanks for the heads-up.

EDIT: OK - gone at 0855 EST. Damn good thing you didn't give out any more info. Too bad the scammer now has your e-mail address. NEVER use your e-mail anywhere in CF. Use our internal "Conversations" messaging.

As always, read the stickies. This one is applicable and it's right up ^ ^ ^ there - Report spammers - SAVE A COMPUTER ! ! !

To ALL members - Never post your e-mail, address, phone number, true location, or any other personal/financial data in a huge, worldwide website. Scammer Scum, just like this recent one, spend hours looking for fish, and - just like telephone scamming - there are plenty of fish in the sea. Be careful !!!!!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,958 Posts
not enough info to go on. suggest you report the message to the community help desk: Community Help
Best way to get action on a post is to click the 3 little dots next to the post time stamp and REPORT the questionable member or post directly to Admin - that action puts a flag in the top black page bar that goes to every Moderator. Neither Admin nor the Moderators (several times a day) regularly check the Help Desk.

In the absence of a post you can find a member by clicking in the Contributors or Staff "See All" box, scroll down the left side to the "Find Member" box, type in the correct username, and hit "Enter" on your keyboard. Up comes that profile and you can report that with a note.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
So is Byrdman really a 'super moderator' or part of the scam? Didn't seem to interested when he responded to my original post.

Moderator edit: What sort of proof would you like? If you were offended by my answers, I give you my apologies. All of the moderators here are volunteers and we only have so much time to give to the site. As for scams, etc., follow Sub's advice. -Byrdman

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,699 Posts
So is Byrdman really a 'super moderator' or part of the scam? Didn't seem to interested when he responded to my original post.

Moderator edit: What sort of proof would you like? If you were offended by my answers, I give you my apologies. All of the moderators here are volunteers and we only have so much time to give to the site. As for scams, etc., follow Sub's advice. -Byrdman
one other useful site tool for you is to hover over or click on a members avatar, and you can see their profile and status.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)
Yes. I believe that is how I figured that he was a very new member.

I am pleased that I have a separate gmail account for when I reply to anything like this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts