1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI for everyone....

Cliffs Notes
Had windows tinted, tinters dented roof, in the process of trying to get it corrected. Details below.

I had the windows tinted (incl. sunroof) on the V on June 25. The car had 2953 miles on it (I always note the milage incase of joy rides) and it was the first time the car was out of my posession.

The shop came highly recommended and does many high-end cars and a ton(about 20 a day) of cars for dealerships (porsche, jag, cadillac, etc.). I even had a good prior experience with them and my vette. I pick the car up, it looks great, walk around and aside from the some dried water marks the car was in perfect condition. The tint wasn't cheap but I dont mind paying for a job well done.

Fast forward to tues night (2.5 weeks later), I go to fuel the V and start looking over the car to pass the time and notice something on the passenger mid roof area. I take a closer look and notice, for lack of a better term, some 'dents', really more like impressions (like someone pounded on the thing roof with fists). Ofcourse, I think vandalism...but doesnt makes sense as 1) just an odd place to vandalize and 2) not a convenient locations as its too high. For the 20 min drive home, I become consumed with trying to figure out how such an odd place could be damaged.

Then it hits me...they tinted the sunroof. Knowing they fit and cut the tint on the exterior side of the glass then fit it to the inside, this makes perfect sense. Not to mention the damage as small pressure points in it that look exactly like it could be caused by the elbow bone. I become inflamed, not necessarily from the damage as I expect a car not to stay perfect, but at the fact that such stupid carelessness caused the damage.

Anyway, I went to talk to shop mgr yest, first confirming with him the process of tinting..."yes we fit tint exterior then apply to interior". I had him come take a look at the roof and he immediately said, "I dont see how we could have done it". He agrees for us to talk to the tinter with the approach of 'hey how would you tint this sunroof', to see if he touches the roof. Good idea. Kinda. I could tell the tinter immediately kind of goes on guard and, although not his words, he reacts with a "wtf you asking me that for and why is there a customer in the shop with you?" attitude. Anyway, shop mgr has him come out to the car to 'show' his technique for tinting the sunroof. Before he touches the car he looks over the roof and spots the dents. ( I know this because Im watching is face the whole time, Im sure this isnt there first rodeo). So he proceeds to say "I only touch the roof at the front center of the car and cut with my other hand." Yeah right. The mgr shows him the damage, he says no way I did it and goes back to work.

The mgr proceeds to tell me, "you know hes my best tinter and I beleive him". Ofcourse you do. I point out that there is no other plausable explanation and possibly the tinter didnt even know he did it, maybe he just lost his balance and caught himself with his elbows. The mgr then tells me, "This roof is strong that would take alot of pressure to do that" meanwhile hes pressing on it with one finger and the roof skin is flexing. Im like "ugh not its not that strong, your actually flexing it with your finger". We discuss further and he holds his position and I said "I bet that roof isnt as strong as you think, matter of fact Im so positive that I will bet you 1k that I can easily duplicate the damage on the drivers side, if you agree to fix the car on top of the 1k." Guess his position wasnt that strong. We discuss further and I suggested instead of damaging my car further "lets walk over to your 2008 Lexus and try it there." He agrees, but I back off as I dont want to see an innocent ride damaged. He insists, opens the back door, puts pressure on the roof with his forearm/elbow and guess what.....Yup...he dented his roof! As he looked at it with disbeleif, he insisted on trying on the other side as it didnt "have any dents in it". C'mon man, dont do this to your car. This time he was more careful and used his forearm not his elbow.

As we were still discussing, the other tinter walks out to take a look (apparently this is the guy that he could believe would do something like this). He looks at damage and doesnt say anything but overhears the mgrs comment "this roof is to strong to be damaged like this". I stop him and ask the tinter, "hey do you have an opinion?" He says "Yes". Ok lets hear it. He says "while its unlikely we did it while we tinted the sunroof, the roof is pretty flimsy and I could see it being dented very easily."

We are now 40min into this discussion and I look at the manager and say "look off the record I know you agree with me that there is no other plausible explanation for this." He hesitates to agree. "I said you know why I think you must agree with me on some level? Becuase youve stood here for 45min discussing it with me. If you really felt 100% sure you didnt do it, you would say 'Sorry' and send me on my way." He just smiled and had the look of 'you got me there'.

Although he insisted there is no way they did it, we ended the discussion with him planning to talk to the shop owner when he arrives and agreed I would call him later to discuss. When I called, the mgr said he spoke to the owner and recommended I get an estimate from the Paintless Dent repair guy. Im not sure that is quite an agreement to pay for the repairs but I think that we will go 50-50. Going for the estimate today.

The only real issues is that the headliner will need to be dropped to work the metal. Not thrilled about that but what choice do I have. A good friend, trained in the paintless dent repair is very confident it can be removed. Guess we will see.

A few other notes....
Yes, Im positive the roof wasnt damaged before I went. I have pics of the car showing the area and its flawless.
No, there is no paint damage at all from anything falling on it. No scuffs, chips...anything.
Yes, I am aware that I came back 2.5 weeks later but to be fair the damage was on the passenger side and at my height I cant see that downward slope of the roofline from the drivers side.

The damage is hard to see in the pix, just notice the distorted reflections.

·
Registered
NONE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh forgot to mention the tinter came back out towards the end of my discussion with the manager. "Oh I misspoke earlier, I dont ever touch the roof of the car, I use two hands to cut."

oh...ok.

·
Registered
2011 "BD" CTS-V, 2010 CTS-V (Traded), 2007 Escalde (Sold)
283 Posts
Sorry to hear of your trouble and hope all ends well. Off topic a bit...I'm getting my 2010 Blk V tinted this weekend. Few questions:

1. What type and % tint did you use on windows and sunroof
2. How do you like the sunroof tinted? (any pics)
3. Did you get the entire windsheild tinted?

Thanks

·
Registered
NONE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the well wishes...Im sure it will work out. Just PIA. Actually, impressed that the shop hasnt told me to F off, which seems to be the bar for customer service in Vegas.

1)I went with the shade next to limo...15% I think. (BTW, I paid about $275 for the whole car and they charge for 2 sunroofs...technically it is, I guess.) Im very happy with the look the tint gave the car and now I dont feel like im in a fishbowl any longer.

2)Ironically, I dont think tinting the sunroof made a big diff, interestingly the tinters would not do limo or ceramic on the sun roof as they said the dark color work attract more heat and eventually crack from it. Guess direct sunlight all day is tough on it. Who knows.

3) I did not do the windshield, although I was going to go back to do it and just figured for the $115 or so, its not really worth it. Alot of my buddies did it and swear by it but Im not convinced.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
279 Posts
The roof is VERY thin! I don't have a sunroof, but when I first waxed it and was buffing, it oil canned a few times before I eased up. I've tried to be very careful drying the roof and buffing off the wax since. I could definitely see how the guy could have EASILY dented it. Good luck with the fix.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
I just had mine done with Pinnacle (ceramic) Did 15 all the way around and 5 on the eyebrow and the sunroof.

I can say honestly I think I'm sold on the ceramic. I have let it sit in the hot houston sun and the car wasn't that hot. I want to do a test with my z06 that doesnt' have ceramic and compare to see which gets hotter if it was really worth the extra coin.

I was concerned with tinting the sunroof, but if you do research it appears it's just as likely to crack or explode if it's tinted or not, so I tinted it. It's nice because I really don't like the cover cadillac put in the car, so with the tint I can leave it open and still have a cool car.

·
Registered
CTS-V
533 Posts
Call Dent Doctor, they do paintless dent removal.
I also heard that tinting a sunroof can cause the glass to collect so much heat from sunlight that it can crack.
Not sure if that's true or not.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
Call Dent Doctor, they do paintless dent removal.
I also heard that tinting a sunroof can cause the glass to collect so much heat from sunlight that it can crack.
Not sure if that's true or not.
when I googled it it was a huge issue on m5's and some m3's typically older. and it didn't matter if it was tinted or not they both exploded/cracked....

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I did the ceramic because the film provides a non-metallized, non-conductive ceramic technology with maximum ultra-violet and heat rejection. It also features scratch and corrosion resistant properties and excellent optical clarity. The properties of this film also ensure that there will be no signal interferance from cell phones, navigation devices, GPS, radios or keyless entry.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
31 Posts
Not sure if this is timely enough for you but I read that dents such as the ones you have may sometimes be removed by using dry ice and a heated hot rag? There are companies that specialize in dent removals and this is how they do the minor stuff.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
40 Posts
I have 20% on doors and rear, 35% windshield, 5% on Sunroof, I'm happy, looks great, I sometimes wish I would have went a little darker on doors and rear. If I would have bought my car new, I wouldn't have got a sunroof. I hate the see through panel. Since I put 5% on it, I don't min if the panel is open or closed.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
945 Posts
Sucks. Glad I now decided not to do the Sunroof.
I went with 50% 3M Chrystalline all the way around.

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
haha...yup. could have not bought the car too....problem solved. ????

Fwiw, actually preferred no sunroof but my particular deal was to good to pass up.
sure could have. No accounting for taste, I guess.

F

·
Registered
2011 CTS Vagon & a 2008 Z06
109 Posts
I haven't tinted yet , but plan to - I have to find a good tinter if that's possible - it seems - having a POOR ATTITUDE is a rapid thing these days - they want your $$$ but don't want to produce.

Anyway I made an appointment and when I got there the guy was looking at the car like he had never seen one beofore - he was also 30 minutes late - well after talking to him - he didn't seem to care nor did he like the questions I asked - so I left - didn't want to end up with a poor job.

Also seems that about $300 is the going price.

Still looking for a good tinter in SoCal!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts