Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beware to other CTS-V owners: I have an 2007 CTS-V that I have owned since 2011 and have garaged every night; in Milwaukee, WI and it is driven in the winter snow and gets occasional full car washes(with underbody) each season. I am at 101,600 miles and had the GM CPO warranty.

I went to replace the brake pads about 2 weeks ago and noticed this when I had it jacked-up. I had strong suspicions and brought it into the dealer a few days later.

At first they were surprised and wondered why I brought it in, as there were no symptoms. Well they had me go see the Bodyshop which gave me an answer of how serious this is. They confirmed it was a serious safety issue with the front rail and would need an engine-out replacement to Drill out 127 welds and re-weld in a brand-new front rail.

Cost: $5,600 and 2 weeks in the shop.... I believe I've seen somewhere the suspicion is that it is the result of some orange foam insulation above that retains water and drips down from the top, causing the inside-out rust.
I am trying to decide what the best next steps are at this point with the stress of the problem hovering over my head: trade-in; fix and later trade-in and upgrade....

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,188 Posts
Sorry to see that. I'll bet the insurance company would come close to totaling the car if necessary.

Down in Seville and Deville there are other similar scary threads on the same problems. There was a Deville, 2003 I believe, that had the entire rear chassis subframe rotted out - and it was garaged and cleaned like yours.

Do your pictures offer any hints as to the quality of the steel and rust treatment used in assembly ?

·
Registered
Cadillac
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think Car Insurance would cover??

No body would/offer comments on steel or rust treatment?? They only expressed that they were awfully surprised and haven't seen one come in like that.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,854 Posts
I've seen a few other threads over the years in the 1st gen CTS and SRX forums. Same area of the frame in every case that I can recall. A couple examples:

It seems like it's a pretty uncommon occurrence, but when it does happen, it's bad.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
237 Posts
Appreciate that info. I just bought an '06 CTS and will keep that in mind.

Although I'm sure that road salt has played it's part in your case.

I hate that stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same think happened to me. Rust through at the same sites on my 2004. Talked to local body shop that I trust. They said not worth fixing, get rid of it. Unfortunately, that is what I did. Sad to see it go after 13 years and 178k miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts