Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this info here on "Warming-Up Your Cadillac's Northstar Properly"

"The best thing for the car and engine is to start it up and drive it. Period. Idling for warmup is completely unnecessary and just wastes fuel and time. The engine is designed to be operated immediately. It takes about 2 seconds for oil to circulate thru the engine even in the worst case coldest day so that is just not an issue. About the only case for waiting to "warm it up" is for the heater to work or the windshield defroster to come up to temp. And even then, the heat and defrost will warm up faster driving it.
I am not condoning hopping in on a cold day and starting the engine and flooring it to 100... just drive away normally and sanely and the engine and trans will function fine and warm up the best. Idling is absolutely not required. The Northstar engine is actually cold-protected against too high of an RPM as the heavy throttle upshifts will be forced sooner and there is a lower rev limiter on the engine until it warms up sufficiently so you really can't hurt it even if you try... The only thing to worry about here is the oil pressure cold on high RPM operation. That is why the rev limiter is lowered cold... so the oil pump cannot overpressurize the system with cold oil."

I have a question and concern about this info.

I have had my 2001 STS with 5200 Kilometeres, (approx 30000 miles), on it for just over a month now.
The only time I pull in to park insted of backing in is when I park in the garage. I have to do it this way. Or else cant get out of the car.

When I start it up in the mornings the RPMs will sit just above 1000 for maybe 1 minute. Then they will drop to just below 1000.
If I put it into reverse before the RPM drop, the transmision engages a bit hard.
It is not overly excessive, but it is a definate and noticable hard engage.
But if I wait the 1 minute for the RPM drop I dont feel a thing.
After feeling that the first time I now wait that minute. So I cant say if it is the same If I am shifting into "D".
1 minute is no big deal for me.
But after reading the above c&p post about not having to warm up, It made me wonder.
I really dont think it would be good for the vehicle to continuosly subject it to hard shifts like that.
Is what Im experiencing normal and nothing to worry about ?
Or should the post that I found that info in be edited slightly ?

·
Registered
02 STS
53 Posts
I'm with murphyg. When you shift it at 1200-1300 RPM, it is bound to shift hard into gear, which has to put some additional strain on the drive train. So I also wait for the minute or so it takes for idle speed to drop down and then put it gear.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
An rpm of 1200-1300 is a bit more than 1000. I am in Florida, so my warm up is fairly quick and usually starts at 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Eldyfig said:
Those rpms are normal for a cold start. However, I haven't noticed my trans engaging hard in that situation.
Maybe using the term "hard" ,alone, wasnt the correct exlpanation.
Its more along the lines of a very hard grab and or pull.

Yes thats it........A very hard pull
As compared to feeling nothing at all after waiting for the RPMs to drop.

Is good to know that someone else is on the same page and has noticed the same. JPL189.

Should be obvious to most anyone that has driven for a while that that is normal on a cold start.
But am wondering about the c&p that I found here stating it is not necesarry to warm up.
Just start and go ?

Sure these Northstars are apparentally bullet proof.
But want to know if they are so bullet proof as to be able to handle something
JPL189 said:
.....which has to put some additional strain on the drive train..
If not, then maybe the info should be edited so as not to give anyone a false sense of security.
I found that info in "Cadillac FAQ and Technical Reference#noil"

So far
Have one that agrees that it cant be good.
Have one that says they havent noticed.
And one that warms up by habit either way. (BTW: nice lookin dog mikeay. Looks like some real character there. Pic of the litter. Love them ears. Not to mention the paws. Will surelly be a Lac dog) !

Anything technical on this, or just go with what works best for each and how we feel ?

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
I think you're worried about nothing. Shifting from P to R or D at 1000 or 1300 RPMs is the last thing you should concern yourself with. The "rough engagement" you notice is also nothing to worry about as long as the transmission fluid is in good condition and at the proper level.

Just like the expert said before, the system is made to avoid damage due to cold starts. There is nothing to worry about starting it up and putting it in gear 2 seconds later. I've done it that way for 70k miles in my car and it's just fine. When was the last time you heard about somebody's transmission going out because they put it in gear too quickly after a cold start??? Unheard of!!!

If you want to worry about something, worry about carefully following the maintenance recommendations in the manual. That's your best bet for keeping a long-lasting and well-running car in a cost-effective way.

EDIT: Removed two sentences which offended Murphyg.

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
The only warm-up I do is when I have to clean the snow off my car. I get to it, start it up, clean the snow and drive.

If there is no snow and the temperature is roughtly 10 Deg F or below, I let is idlle for a minute or so. Yes, if the rpms are above 1000, the transmission will engage a bit rough. That is true on any car.

If the windows are fogged up on the inside, I wait until the defroster gives me enough clear windshield area to drive.

Other than that, I get in, start and drive within about 30 second of starting.

Peteski

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mcowden said:
..... If you're going to worry about the engine speed when you put the transmission in gear, you better also drive carefully so as to avoid up- or down-shifting altogether. Just maintain one steady speed so the transmission doesn't blow up shifting from second to third on the 50th time of the day! After all, the difference in RPMs is greater than 1300!!! LOL
Eldyfig said:
Well put, Mike.
Up yours Mike, and yours too Eldy.

Thought I was asking an obviously concerned question as to the info that I had found hear. :suspect:

Guess it turns out that (from yous guys responses), that the info here is actually for not :canttalk:

Sorry that Im here for a reason of care and had to bother yous jacks with my petty caring :thehand:

BTW Mike LOL

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought that I had asked for maybe "Anything technical on this, "

Really didnt expect responses about "Pussifooting around " and such.

If my posting and questions have in some way upseted you mcowden then you should maybe get out more often.

I can see no reason for the underlying questionably insulting coments that you have made towards my concerns.

WhaT IS YOU DAMAGE ?

Why not step off,:thehand:
That is unless you have something substantial to contribute.

You started this shit LOL

I was being sincere and asking questions in that light.
Then got some kinda brain fart inteligence from .............
You.

for what reason :mad2:

Cause you have nothing better to do with your time is what Im guessing.
Bring it on MthrFk.

I turn your dumb assed no reason insulting crap right round and shove it where you wouldnt even be able to find it for a week.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
The hostility in this thread!! Whew. I wanted to throw my experience in. I also notice a difference in shifting when cold. More so the 1st shift after startup. I dont let mine warm up long either unless I cant see! But if me driving 40 miles with bad speed sensors (very hard shifting every shift) didnt damage my trans I myself am not worried about the slightly rough & (hard pull). Now on the cold days I notice the whole car feels a bit different untill its warmed up fully. Maybe the trans oil is a bit thick? Takes longer to circulate? BTW mikeay nice dog. For some reason I think im looking at some sort of huskey. Correct me if im wrong. The feet tell me huskey but the tail and ears say otherwise.

MacK

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
The engine and transmission are designed to operate at their best at a specific temperature, but the quality of motor oils and transmission fluids now mean that you can safely start and drive a vehicle without waiting for it to warm up, and the harder shifts are not harmful at reasonable RPMs.

On a cold day with conventional oil, give it maybe 15-20 seconds for the top of the engine to be lubricated before you drive off in the morning. With synthetics it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
Murphyg said:
Maybe using the term "hard" ,alone, wasnt the correct exlpanation.
Its more along the lines of a very hard grab and or pull.
Yes thats it........A very hard pull
Mine does the same thing if I just jump into it and go on a cold morning. I back out of my driveway and even if I let the RPM drop to normal, putting it into reverse is harsh versus had I let it warm up a bit.

I always let it warm up if it's below freezing out. Not because I think it's good for the drivetrain, I just don't like to get into a cold car.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Remember, the higher the RPM when you put it in gear, the harder it will shift into gear, but it was also designed not to be warmed up, so I have to assume that this was taken into account. I seriously doubt that a couple hundred RPM at high idle will do any harm.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Florida, the land of quick engine warm ups. During the coldest times down here, by the time I situate myself, get my seat belt on, set some tunes, whatever else, the coolant temp has started to move. That is good for me.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanx guys :cool2:
Appreciate the advice and info.

And thanx for the edit of your post mcowden. I certainally appreciate it.
Id do the same but has been too long and cant edit now.
Truelly a class act my friend.

I will appoligize though. To both you and Eldyfig.
Also sorry to the rest of the forum.
Sorry all for goin off like that :nono:

Ive gotten the link to the thread I was refering too.
It is a really good one.
One of the best I think Ive seen for just general maintanance/concerns:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#noil

Once again
Thanx !
And sorry all !
Especially mcowden :cheers:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I actually paid attention today when I got off work. Outside temp was about 55 maybe. Not really cold out compared to what alot of members from more north are experiencing. As soon as the car turned over, I had about 1300 rpm for about 2 seconds, then it immediately droppped to 1000. I decided to put it in gear and see what it would do. As soon as I switched out of park the rpm dropped right to about 800. Didn't seem to hit any harder than going from park to reverse with a warm engine.

I take it, if it were colder here and the idle was much higher like above 1200, then I would have felt it go into gear. Now that I think about, when I lived in Delaware with my big Olds, I could really feel the TH400 pound into gear when it was cold.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Murphyg said:
Sorry all for goin off like that :nono:
No problemo, Murphyg. I edited my post because it did come across like an a$$#013 and I apologize for that. Let me state for the record that I'm not an expert at anything. If I was I'd have money but I'm just as broke as anyone else. I just have lots of opinions, and you know what they say about those... :farting: I've certainly blown up a few times on these forums. :gun: :alchi: :gun2: It happens. Thanks for being a good sport. I tried to reply to your PM, but it seems you have PMs disabled. All is well. Let's all have a drink (or two, but no more than five, or maybe six or seven) for our old friend Rob and consider the matter resolved. :cheers: :grouphug: And besides, there will be other, more appropriate reasons to blow up, like which oil to use, when to change it, and whether or not head gaskets are problematic. :bighead: :thepan: :bonkers:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts