Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 DTS Lux II, 2009 Escalade 6.2L.
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might be beaten to death. But the reason I’m asking is not if it is bad or good. I want to know why they say it’s not good to do. Now it’s also been said that is hurts the engine, how? In my mind using just common sense, any liquid via petroleum will slightly thicken as the temperature drops I’m talking New England weather here. Wouldn’t it make sense to run the engine for 5-10 minutes before puttin load on a very cold motor? My rule of thumb is 10 minutes and then I take off. Anybody on this?

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac SRX Performance Collection 2010 Cadillac DTS Luxury Collection
76 Posts
In Central Texas I go 3 to 5 minutes first start of the day, year round. If you want to replace your transaxle, crank the car then slam it into reverse. My uncle was a mechanic for 60+ years. This was his advice.

In my opinion the no warmup school is a result of the anti pollution generation. Did I mention that remote start is one of my favorite features?

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,446 Posts
The vehicle builders recommend a cold start, a few seconds to drop from the initial fast idle, then drive normally for the first 6 or 8 miles to properly warm the internals.

The long idle warmup cautions come from excessive idle times when cold because the extra "choke" gasoline tends to wash oil off the cylinder walls and the engine guts don't heat properly. Yes, the coolant warms, but it takes driving to warm up the reciprocating guts - nothing but oil touches the engine guts, and it take driving to get that to correct temp - one reason that extended idle times rapidly decrement the OLM. Oil life is much longer on highway cars than on city cars.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
6,516 Posts
We don't have super cold winters, but my normal steps are: start the car, then put on my seatbelt, answer the DIC (if anything is there), wait for the RPM's to drop, then put it in gear. Because our town is so small, it wouldn't get to full warm running errands so I sometimes go past city center and warm it up on the highway.

·
Registered
2007 DTS (Base: 1SB)
97 Posts
I’m glad I read this. The morning’s are starting to get colder here in Philly. I guess I won’t be using the remote start so it’s not frigid inside the car when I 1st get in.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Luxury III
1,534 Posts
The theory I heard is, there's technically little to no wear on the engine once the oil starts flowing since all parts are moving on a thin film of oil. So I don't know if it hurts, but it also doesn't help anything once the oil starts flowing.

I live in CO and I don't normally warm up my car unless I remember to pre-start it from inside. I just let it run a few seconds to get the fluids flowing and away I go. I've never had any trouble because of this process.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My philosophy is to gather information then make my own decision. I make no recommendations. I am only providing my experience and opinions. You have the right to disagree and present different views.

Opinion 1: If you have liquid fuel washing down your cylinder walls then you have bigger issues than properly warming up your engine.

Opinion 2: The manufacturer’s remote start system can be operated for a maximum of 19 minutes and 59 seconds at a time. This tells me that you will not cause excessive wear by warming up your engine with remote start. Those engines are designed to operate at extended idle in Park with proper air circulation for the cooling system.

Opinion 3: If you consider warm up or remote start a waste of money and/or fuel, you need to sell your Cadillac. Cadillacs are expensive to buy and expensive to own. They are true luxury cars (and trucks).

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,902 Posts
My Cadi via remote start shuts off at 10 minutes, It will remote start one more time for another 10 minutes, and then it has to be push button started. So, I and my wife like a car warmed up a bit to take the chill off, to have the frost taken off the seats and I like a warm steering wheel - so I remote start, we get our winter gear on, walk out to the garage and away we go - about 5-8 minutes.
One thing to consider if the car is not garaged is to allow the windows enough time to warm up so they do not fog/ice up on you a few minutes from home. I had that happen once in a car I use to own (Saturn) when I had to get going quickly in the morning, and it's really dangerous! I had to put my flashers on and pull over to the curb as best I could (not being able to see a thing), and wait about 10 minutes while the windows defrosted. Since then, no more start and go for me in winter!

·
Registered
76 Posts
FYI you can add 10 additional minutes to the initial remote start cycle before the engine shuts off. It adds 10 minutes from the time you invoke the second command. So if you are very precise you can add 10 minutes one second before the first command ends, thus 19 minutes and 59 seconds. I’ve never seen anyone do it. You can easily get 19 minutes to happen if you pay attention.

Also, remote start will not work if your check engine light is on. Nor will it work if you have keyless entry/start and there is a fob inside the car.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV 2WD 6.2
226 Posts
My Cadi via remote start shuts off at 10 minutes, It will remote start one more time for another 10 minutes, and then it has to be push button started. So, I and my wife like a car warmed up a bit to take the chill off, to have the frost taken off the seats and I like a warm steering wheel - so I remote start, we get our winter gear on, walk out to the garage and away we go - about 5-8 minutes.
One thing to consider if the car is not garaged is to allow the windows enough time to warm up so they do not fog/ice up on you a few minutes from home. I had that happen once in a car I use to own (Saturn) when I had to get going quickly in the morning, and it's really dangerous! I had to put my flashers on and pull over to the curb as best I could (not being able to see a thing), and wait about 10 minutes while the windows defrosted. Since then, no more start and go for me in winter!
I agree with you. I have done winters in NY and AK and the SoCal mountains. Mechanical things like to be at operating temps and an easy way to invite failure is to load them up while cold. You don't have the negatives of a cold start carb enrichment with todays EFI systems so all the more reason to warm the engine up. Your point about the glass and interior is correct also. Others can do what they want to their cars, but I will care for mine as I see fit.

·
Registered
2007 DTS (Base: 1SB)
97 Posts
Also, remote start will not work if your check engine light is on. Nor will it work if you have keyless entry/start and there is a fob inside the car.
It also won’t work if the “Valet Lockout Switch” is on that’s located in the glovebox. My daughter was being Curious and turned it on when I first got the car. I didn’t even know it was there. Lol

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,859 Posts
It also won’t work if the “Valet Lockout Switch” is on that’s located in the glovebox. My daughter was being Curious and turned it on when I first got the car. I didn’t even know it was there. Lol
Also if the gas is less than a quarter tank and the gas light is on.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,859 Posts
On cold mornings I like to hit the remote start let it warm up before getting in and driving. That's more for my comfort than the car being at operating temp. My vehicles stay in the heated garage overnight so I let them idle down after a few seconds and drive easy until the temp gauge is at the halfway mark. It's so nice to get into a 70F car when it's 18F outside.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
258 Posts
I've always warmed my cars up. The outside temps will usually determine how long I let it go, but usually nothing more than 3-4 minutes. I may let my wife's car (Accord) warm up a bit longer in cold temps so that it's a bit warmer inside than outside when she gets ready to leave. Here in So Call I really don't have to worry about the cold too much anyway.

·
Registered
2012 Cts4 Coupe Premium Awd Crystal Red 3.6l Lfx
8 Posts
I have always let my engines warm up, even in warm weather. Length of time depends on how long it takes to see temp gauge start moving. Never any WOT till full operating temp. Have put pretty high mileage on a lot of them over the years. (Close to 500k on one when I sold it,still in good running condition; 85 Chevy Blazer w/6.2l diesel Banks turbo. Currently have a Jeep Liberty 3.7l 2007 model with 355k still runs fine.)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts