Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CTS, 2006 2.8l and I want to upgrade the horse power as much as I can. I you give me some ideas as to what I can do and what you guys have in your cars?

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts
I have a CTS, 2006 2.8l and I want to upgrade the horse power as much as I can. I you give me some ideas as to what I can do and what you guys have in your cars?
How much money are you willing to spend? Can you fabricate your own parts because that will help save you a lot of money.

Essentially what I'm getting at is there are a few bolt ons that will give the car some pep but honestly this is a cruising car. You can cruise at high speeds, it's just getting there that's the problem. You also have the 2.8L CTS which has the smallest displacement out of all 3 engines used in the first gen CTS.

You can always upgrade to a 3.6L LY7 but the difference in horsepower while noticeable is minimal for a job that costly.

I felt the same way you did when I got this car and I've owned it for 3 years now and honestly, you're better off spending your money on keeping the paint clean and shiny, and then suspension upgrades that improve ride quality and handling. You can also upgrade the brakes. Maybe get yourself a nice set of wheels and tires.

Outside of that however unless you're willing to fabricate your own parts, this car will never be as fast as you want it to be. Doesn't mean it's not a great car its just not fast. Think of it as like an MX5. It's a drivers car.

Just being honest.

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts
I think DopeEffect reflected my opinion on the topic accurately. This is a drivers car.... the V is that other car that does both, drive nice and accelerate much faster.

It sucks I know...but the north-american aftermarket has not been so nice to this car / platform or to the 2.8L / 3.6L variants or the 5-speed auto transmission.

And that mainly has to do with the fact that the Camaro didn't get the 3.6L LY7 nor the 5-speed auto trans, so no body here bothered to mess with it much.

However our Australian friends down under gave the 3.6L engine some really special treats.

Actually one thing I wouldn't mind consider doing to my 3.6L car is a %20 under-drive pulley. I can do it myself and it's around ~$250+ makers of these under-drive kits in Australia are claiming a ~10 HP gain. That's not bad for the money if you ask me especially if you do the work, but definitely wouldn't consider doing that to a 2.8 it has a quiet a way to go before even getting even to 3.6L level of performance. But if you have to have anything, I would consider starting with the cheaper mods.
If I were you however, I would just leave things as is and focus on ride quality , braking and handling. Or better yet, save up your dollars for a V or maybe something else newer and better.

I love driving my car though I realize it will never brake the 6-second barrier to 60 in it's current state, heck my friend's 2012 Camry does 0-60 in 5.6~5.7 seconds, but I want to leave it mostly that way unless something revolutionary comes along all the sudden.

Next year I'm planning to pick up a V but keeping my V6 CTS as well so that I can take my time when ever I wrench on the V and perhaps make the CTS V6 my winter car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts